Which stove for SO Redcliff?

HeadnWest

WKR
Will be purchasing a SO Redcliff soon and am wondering what stove to get. Primary use will be in September for Elk in Idaho.

Options so far: 18 in. Smith Cylinder Stove, or Large SO titanium stove.

I am leaning toward the smaller, lighter, less expensive smith cylinder, but my brother wants the SO titanium.

Is there any other options? Obviously want to go quality, light weight and if I can save money, that is a plus.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Akicita

WKR
I recommend the Seek Outside SXL. Mine has met every expectation I have for a pack stove.

tqrriTZ.jpg

UM8GRUQ.jpg

colonel00

WKR
There are a lot of options. Check out titanium goat, I think Hill People Gear make one, Lite Outdoors, and more. Also, you can make your own pretty easily and save quite a bit.

An 18" cylinder type stove would be good. It's long enough so you don't have to cut the wood as short.

I made my own stove(s). What's nice is I can configure 4 different stoves from mostly the same parts. I can have both 12" and 18" lengths as well as a small and large diameter. If you are handy, even in the slightest, they are simple to make.

In case you are interested: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-gear-modifications/12385-diy-stove.html

colonel00

WKR
You ever weigh the one you made? How heavy is it?

Yeah, it might be in that thread somewhere but I don't remember off hand. The DIY stoves are going to weigh just about the same as anything else made of comparable materials because they are almost exactly the same (and could be made exactly the same if you wanted). If you want to go lighter, you can go with titanium for the body and pipe but that starts to get pricey to save a few ounces. I don't know that any stove has titanium end plates but you could make a box stove all out of titanium but again, that gets pricey to save a little bit of weight.

One note, the Kifaru stove uses metal ties to hold everything together. I'm sure this is lighter and works fine but I prefer to use the all-thread bars. This allows the damper in your pipe to sit on the all-thread which should reduce weight on the stove body and help with warping.

Sadler

WKR
I used the SO SXL in mine. It worked great. I just sold my Refcliff for a smaller shelter and am looking for a smaller stove to go with it. Let me know if you’re interested in the SXL and I’ll give you a deal on it.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the SO XL for my Redcliff . I got a hot tent bundle which made it easy to go . This worked great but their are so many options its up to you what would work best for your fit. Hot tents are worth every penny and worth their weight .

OP
HeadnWest

HeadnWest

WKR
I used the SO SXL in mine. It worked great. I just sold my Refcliff for a smaller shelter and am looking for a smaller stove to go with it. Let me know if you’re interested in the SXL and I’ll give you a deal on it.

PM sent.

OP
HeadnWest

HeadnWest

WKR
Anyone use a cylinder stove for the Redcliff??? Just want to get an opinion on that option.

colonel00

WKR
Anyone use a cylinder stove for the Redcliff??? Just want to get an opinion on that option.
Any stove will provide more than enough heat. The main difference is how much wood you can fit versus how often you have to feed it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Any stove will provide more than enough heat. The main difference is how much wood you can fit versus how often you have to feed it.X2

I have the redcliffe and use the Lite Outdoors 18" stove.
reasons:
long enough to handle decent size branches so I am not stocking the stove every 30 minutes.
It utilizes the all thread rods for a quick set up.
Comes with optional baffle which yields longer burn times and safer ember control
Super light, compact and back packable.
The all 2 thread rods placed in the top just to the outside of the stove pipe, allows me to use them as a flat surface for a pan
C/Service is second to none.

18" is plenty for the Redcliffe. I was in Utah high elev (10,000) and 20 degree temps with high winds and snow for 3 days and this thing cooked me if I kept it stoked.

I plan to get some titanium foil and make one more stove body.
It will be longer, not so much for heat, but so I can put longer than 18" lengths in this and get even longer burn times.

colonel00

WKR
Brad, who is your supplier for the roll of titanium nd do you remember the grade you got?

I never got titanium. Just used SS for the body and pipe. It was just too pricey for the nominal weight savings. If I recall correctly, the majority of the weight is in the pipe. However, even using titanium, it would only shave a few ounces. Since I already have a perfectly good pipe, I just couldn't justify paying for a second pipe.

Now, this is with this setup in my Cimarron. I haven't run a stove in my Sawtooth or newly acquired Redcliff (Thanks Sadler :) ) But, if I find I need a longer pipe then I would look at titanium.

More or less, I just figure if I'm bringing a stove, the whole UL ideology is out the window. I usually have an extra lighter torch thing, which is awesome, and cut resistant gloves in the stove kit. I'll probably need a saw or axe too. Sure saving weight is always nice but I just think there are more cost effective places to spend extra money to shave more weight.

Anyway, when I was actually looking, it was near impossible to find. However, now it looks like Ti Goat has 16" and Lite Outdoors has 18"

Ok thx for the heads up. So who is your supplier for the SS and what gauge did you go with.
Thx again

In my Redcliffe I opted for 8' stove pipe, to keep tent free of holes better, but I think a 7 or 7.5' would work too.

colonel00

WKR
Ok thx for the heads up. So who is your supplier for the SS and what gauge did you go with.
Thx again

That's a fantastic question :D I actually teamed up with bbrown and we split the cost. I was/am working away from home so I didn't have the tools available to get it all ready. If he doesn't chime in here, you might shoot him a PM. I want to guess Titanium Goat but I really don't know for sure.

Felix40

WKR
I run a homemade cylinder stove in my redcliff too. I think you will be much happier using ti than ss. When you get enough material for a 3"x8' pipe it gets heavy. I would weigh mine but Im out of town. The main feature I would be looking for is a big door and all thread instead of wire to hold it all together. I think my stove body is only 14" but if I pack it full I can make it uncomfortably hot in the tent.

Cant seem to find a supply of the 22"-24" any where other than some over seas outfit.

Sorry for hijacking the OP thread.

It really is easy to make your own stove body if you have the end caps.
I am planning to make a few different sizes for various applications

OP
HeadnWest

HeadnWest

WKR
Cant seem to find a supply of the 22"-24" any where other than some over seas outfit.

Sorry for hijacking the OP thread.

It really is easy to make your own stove body if you have the end caps.
I am planning to make a few different sizes for various applications

Not hijacking at all. A DIY stove is not out of the option either.