What tent would be right for our needs?

We are starting western trips next year, coming from Michigan. Currently we have nothing in regards to tent camping. Starting from zero. We would like to do it right.

For now, we will basically be vehicle camping so weight isn't much of a factor. I think our needs are

-sleep 3 guys and have room for gear, cots, stove
-able to withstand wind and snow

It has to be comfortable for my dad, he's not into roughing it too much so I don't see him sleeping on the ground in a floorless tipi.

I think a wall tent or a tent like the cabelas alaknak would be what we want but I'm not sure of the benefits of one over the other. Being too warm in the early season is a concern of mine.

Whatever we end up with, I'd pefer it come from Cabelas because we accumulate bunch of points throughout the year that will purchase it for us.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

gelton

WKR
With 3 guys cots and a stove you will want at least a 12x14 shelter...if you want room to expand to handle 4 - look at something that is 14x16 - just know this from my personal experience with wall tents using an internal frame.

OP
A
With 3 guys cots and a stove you will want at least a 12x14 shelter...if you want room to expand to handle 4 - look at something that is 14x16 - just know this from my personal experience with wall tents using an internal frame.

Good to know. We are actually hunting 5 but figured on letting the other guys get their own set up, that way it isn't too crowded and when we go with less we don't have a huge shelter for only 2 guys.

Netherman

WKR
We have a wall tent that we use deer hunting in the UP. It is a 14x16 from "the wall tent company" and has sewn in screen doors and three mesh windows. I think that or something similar is what you are looking for.

We took it to Wyoming last year and with two people it's a palace. 3 is comfortable and 4 with a stove a kitchen setup is a bit tight if you don't stay organized. Last summer we took it camping and with the doors and windows open it was about the same hotness as a nylon tent.

Going with a smaller tent doesn't save much and loses flexibility. Down the road we are thinking of adding a cook tent which would open up 2-3 more cot locations.

That said I've been looking at a SO Redcliff for backpack hunts and maybe even go with it over the wall tent out west.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
4 Person Tent | Canvas Camping Tents | Pine Deluxe 4 Turbo Tent
I use one of these for car camping/rock crawler trips. It's the fastest tent I've ever set up. It's made out of a material similar to carhartts with a PU coating on the inside. The tent material itself is coated with PU, so I usually don't even bother with the rainfly unless it's raining hard or I want the awning for shelter. I believe mine is actually a Pine Deluxe 6, which I don't see in canvas on their site, and this one looks identical to mine. Mine may be 10'x10'.

I typically use a queen sized cot/inflatable combo in there. I've had that, along with a third adult plus two 50 lbs dogs in there without it being cramped. Three standard cots would probably be just fine if you aren't looking for a ton of space.

The larger tents with the big gear vestibule look interesting. I'd probably be interested in those if I were planning on camping with more than just myself and a girlfriend with an occasional friend, or if I wanted an area to cook in. Two of the smaller $220 3-mans would probably be versatile to have alternatively. Big tents are a pain in a shortbed truck in my experience.

I also have their 2-person, -25F canvas bag. While I think it's more appropriate to maybe 5-10F above, I've had it in the teens comfortably with a girlfriend. They are probably what I would buy if I were in the market for a base camp bag that needed to be durable enough for dog claws and such not to damage it.

xziang

WKR
No experience with an alaknak but ran into one 5 miles from the trail head that was set up and used by someone. From the outside looked very nice no clue as to what the inside of it looked like they weren't using a stove well at least there wasn't a pipe coming from the roof.

For car camping I use a cabelas Alaskan which is a bit small for what you are wanting to use.

No matter what you do though if you get it through cabelas use activejunky.com for they sometimes offer 6 to 13% cash back and with a big purchase like that take advantage of it!!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Good to know. We are actually hunting 5 but figured on letting the other guys get their own set up, that way it isn't too crowded and when we go with less we don't have a huge shelter for only 2 guys.

That's not a problem, I use a 14x16 solo during archery for base camp.:)

Limiting yourself to Cabela's does limit your options.

blkqi

WKR
A quality canvas wall tent is the way to go. It is the quintessential all-season elk camp, and well cared for can last you 20+ years. If you are driving in, go with a DIY 1" conduit internal frame -- cheap to make and sets up with 1-2 people in 10 minutes or less.

Cabela's sells Montana Canvas which is one of the best. My advice is don't mess around with synthetic fabrics.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 12x12 alaknak with a stove, it will fit 2 cots plus gear very well. you could squeeze another cot in that but someone would be sleeping very close to the stove. having a built in floor is nice, I got a piece of 12x12 outoor rug at home depot for pretty cheap to cover the synthetic floor and keep the water/mud down. I do agree with the comments that a quality canvas wall tent is more durable and will last longer if taken care of. Then investment decision needs to be made off of how much it will be used? 5-6 times over the next 10 years? every year for the next 20 years? Also is space is an issue for hauling the tent from Michigan the cabelas tents are pretty compact for there overall size.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana canvas has some nice options. I bought mine through cabelas and chose relite walls with canvas top. The relite is much lighter and dries quicker than canvas. Having been in a friends alaknak condensation was an issue. I can set my 8x10x5 up in the dark in twenty minutes and have a fire going in the wood stove. I went with frame joints from Kwik kamp and cut my own conduit. When weather comes in nothing beats a wall tent👍 Many good manufactures to choose from and if dried out properly will last a lifetime.

Attachments

• E2495635-BB40-4569-BE21-E3B37E1A695A.jpg
    E2495635-BB40-4569-BE21-E3B37E1A695A.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 61

blkqi

WKR
Also is space is an issue for hauling the tent from Michigan the cabelas tents are pretty compact for there overall size.

This is an important point to make for someone coming from the midwest. My 12'x14' tent, awning, and floor take up two Costco yellow-top boxes. And then there is the frame and stove...

I pack it all into my short-bed Toyota Tacoma though, and that is with hunting gear for two (bows and rifles).

OP
A
Thanks for all the help thus far. It looks like a wall tent is going to be the way to go. I know that limiting ourselves to Cabelas may hurt us, but searching and going off of reviews, their wall tents don't seem too bad. Our main justification for going the Cabelas route is the tent will be bought using our points the we have accumulated.

So say we get the wall tent and build our frame, what other components would we need to have a complete and comfortable set up? Floor? Rain Fly? Stove is already deemed necessary for us.

Thanks again!

blkqi

WKR
Thanks for all the help thus far. It looks like a wall tent is going to be the way to go. I know that limiting ourselves to Cabelas may hurt us, but searching and going off of reviews, their wall tents don't seem too bad. Our main justification for going the Cabelas route is the tent will be bought using our points the we have accumulated.

So say we get the wall tent and build our frame, what other components would we need to have a complete and comfortable set up? Floor? Rain Fly? Stove is already deemed necessary for us.

Thanks again!
I use a blue tarp as a vapor barrier, and a heavy custom floor on top of that. You can get away with just the tarp; lay it over the sod cloth for a good seal. A couple rugs or carpet remnants over that is a nice touch.

A fly really helps to shed rain and snow and also protects the canvas from ash, coals, pitch or whatever else. The fly should extend past the walls to and gables to provide an eave or else runoff will splash onto the tent. Use a light color (white is nice) or else you will block a lot of light. It's best to leave an air gap so the tent can still breathe through the top, but I find that if you are burning the stove much moisture is not going to be an issue regardless.

It can be really useful to extend the fly out one gable 7' or more to create an awning for a covered porch or cook shack. (Many folks cook in their tents, but it tends to attract rodents, on- and off-season). Just be mindful of the weather as this awning can catch a lot of wind.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I use two 12x16 tarps overlapped as a floor in my 14x16. That works great because they will get dirty/muddy on the bottoms and also the top if you're tracking it in. Easy to clean them after the season, but I also take a broom to sweep them during the season. I just sold a 3/4 floor for my tent that allows room for a wood stove and wood storage.......because I also sold the stove. I just don't use all that during archery.

I also have the Davis Tent full rain fly and awning with poles for a 14x16 tent, but I don't use that either.

TTSX180

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my 14x16 wall tent 25 years, we use it year round you can stuff a whole bunch of young boys in there in the summer. I bought mine For $750 floor and all it was used once. Make sure it has a sod flap and dig your ditch around the edge before it rains. It sleeps 4 pretty well with the wood stove and we have set up in 2 feet of snow,drys out in no time. Make sure when you get home to have a dry place to hang it, I leave ropes up in my barn and leave it there a week make sure it's dry then fold it and put it in a plastic drum with a lid. Mice will ruin it.
Look on Craigslist they're selling for $800-$1500, get a good one take care of it and it will last a lifetime.