Light weight bag/quilt??

JP100

WKR
Hi guys
I have always had pretty warm/heavy bags for my hunts. but I am now doing more summer/spring scouting and want to try and cut some weight for those trips.
I have never used a quilt nor seen one in person and cant really see I would like them.
Any one used one of these?
Nitrous Sleeping Bag | One Planet

Seems like its as light as most quilts out there for the same temp rating? Thats 550 grams/19 ounces. which is well under half the weight of the bags I have.
NITROUS -1REGULAR800+ LOFT DWR554-1°-16°
How much lighter are quilts going to be?

Thanks

Whip

WKR
I've tried a couple of different mummy style bags and just can't stand to be that constricted when I sleep. If that doesn't bother you mummy's are a good lightweight option. For me, a quilt gives me more room than even a rectangular bag with the lightness of a tiny mummy bag. It took me a few nights to figure them out but now I love my quilt.

Some people end up hating quilts, but I love mine. I use them all year, even through the winter. That bag is pretty cool, it's about the same weight as a 20* down quilt. A really good insulated pad is a must too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I just unzip my sleeping bag and it turns into a quilt:)

But then you are carrying all of that unnecessary weight of a full bag that you probably don't need.

I agree, quilts aren't for everyone but I think everyone should at least give them a try if they have a chance.

That sites combination of a quilt with a mummy bag looks interesting. It's pricey but it would give you options on what to use. I do have to wonder how effective the quilt would be inside the mummy bag though. My thought would be that the quilt would be compressed quite a bit which would negate much of it's warming insulation.

But then you are carrying all of that unnecessary weight of a full bag that you probably don't need.

I agree, quilts aren't for everyone but I think everyone should at least give them a try if they have a chance.

That sites combination of a quilt with a mummy bag looks interesting. It's pricey but it would give you options on what to use. I do have to wonder how effective the quilt would be inside the mummy bag though. My thought would be that the quilt would be compressed quite a bit which would negate much of it's warming insulation.

Ive compared my Down bag to my friends EE quilt and there is only a few ounches difference. I just think the extra 5 or 6 oz is worth a zipper and hood.
I usually unzip my bags when its cold and turn it into a quilt when im with my Blue Heeler, he starts noseing around when it gets in the low 30s
I also unzip my bags when the temps drop so I can wear my Puffy jacket and not compress the down in the bag. Ive just never felt a dedicated quilt would do more than my sleeping bags uzipped.

AXEL

WKR
^^^^^^^^^^

My thoughts too, I have a WM Terralite, a WM Sequoia and an original Calgary-made custom Integral Designs, Himalayan OF, rated to -30*F, as my down bags and these are so comfy for me that I see NO real benefit in a quilt.

I have spent many hundreds of nights since spring, 1964, in many bags down to -40* and just prefer highend bags to any other sleeping gear. YMMV.

Hi guys
I have always had pretty warm/heavy bags for my hunts. but I am now doing more summer/spring scouting and want to try and cut some weight for those trips.
I have never used a quilt nor seen one in person and cant really see I would like them.
Any one used one of these?
Nitrous Sleeping Bag | One Planet

Seems like its as light as most quilts out there for the same temp rating? Thats 550 grams/19 ounces. which is well under half the weight of the bags I have.
NITROUS -1REGULAR800+ LOFT DWR554-1°-16°
How much lighter are quilts going to be?

Thanks

I made the switch from bags to quilts several years ago and although I still own several bags, I haven't used a bag since purchasing my first quilt. I have several different EE quilts with different temp. ratings. My heaviest quilt is a 10*F that weighs 20 oz. and my lightest is a 30*F that weighs 14.3 oz. I don't think that there's a traditional sleeping bag out there that even comes close to those wts. with those temp. ratings.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I made the switch from bags to quilts several years ago and although I still own several bags, I haven't used a bag since purchasing my first quilt. I have several different EE quilts with different temp. ratings. My heaviest quilt is a 10*F that weighs 20 oz. and my lightest is a 30*F that weighs 14.3 oz. I don't think that there's a traditional sleeping bag out there that even comes close to those wts. with those temp. ratings.

How do they work out temp ratings?
Im always confused by American temp ratings as they only give one temp. Where as everyone else gives 3.
Is the temp they give the absolute minimum the bags rated to??

colonel00

WKR
Im always confused by American temp ratings as they only give one temp. Where as everyone else gives 3.

I only view temp ratings as a basic guide and nothing more. Everyone is different and with bags/quilts, sleeps at different temperatures. Plus, I don't believe that there is any true standard for defining what a temp rating should be. I can sleep comfy in a 30* quilt with an Xlite pad at freezing temps. My buddy will be freezing in his 10* bag with a different pad. The thing that sucks is you have to find what works for you.

Regardless of whether a company gives one rating or three, there is no way to know how you will feel until you try it. I did notice in they site you listed that the extreme temp rating was for "standard adult female" or something. I'm assuming that since they tend to be a little smaller, there is more room for the insulation to hold in heat.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I only view temp ratings as a basic guide and nothing more. Everyone is different and with bags/quilts, sleeps at different temperatures. Plus, I don't believe that there is any true standard for defining what a temp rating should be. I can sleep comfy in a 30* quilt with an Xlite pad at freezing temps. My buddy will be freezing in his 10* bag with a different pad. The thing that sucks is you have to find what works for you.

Regardless of whether a company gives one rating or three, there is no way to know how you will feel until you try it. I did notice in they site you listed that the extreme temp rating was for "standard adult female" or something. I'm assuming that since they tend to be a little smaller, there is more room for the insulation to hold in heat.

Yep for sure. Im a cold sleeper and always have used a pretty heavy warm bag.
But those numbers arnt made up, they are made using a real test, EN 13537 (EN 13537)It - Wikipedia)
seems that US manufactures dont seem to use any testing(not many) and just make a number up as such?

I have a Kifaru bag and am pretty disappointed in its rating. Well made bag no doubt, but no way near the rating they publish(I think anyway based on the bags i have used with an real tested rating)

Two bags that are tested under the same controlled test with the same rating should be very much the same for the same person in the back country.

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, how are they tested though? I guess I'm left wondering what a "standard male" and "standard female" are. Does the "standard male" just climb into a temp chamber and test different bags at different temps and give his comfort level? I guess my reading of the article says they tried to standardize the ratings but I don't see where they standardized the actual testing.

I also see this in the Wikipedia article "These ratings are taken assuming that the subject is using a sleeping pad, tent and is wearing one base layer of thermal underwear." but they don't say what kind of pad (R rating), what kind of tent (UL silnylon tent vs tents that can retain some warmth for a while vs insulated tents like an Arctic Oven), or what kind of thermal underwear.

I don't disagree that I'd love for there to be a standard for testing but I don't know how you could possibly do it. Even then, it still doesn't mean that a 30* rating which works for me would work for you or anyone else.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Hmm, how are they tested though? I guess I'm left wondering what a "standard male" and "standard female" are. Does the "standard male" just climb into a temp chamber and test different bags at different temps and give his comfort level? I guess my reading of the article says they tried to standardize the ratings but I don't see where they standardized the actual testing.

I also see this in the Wikipedia article "These ratings are taken assuming that the subject is using a sleeping pad, tent and is wearing one base layer of thermal underwear." but they don't say what kind of pad (R rating), what kind of tent (UL silnylon tent vs tents that can retain some warmth for a while vs insulated tents like an Arctic Oven), or what kind of thermal underwear.

I don't disagree that I'd love for there to be a standard for testing but I don't know how you could possibly do it. Even then, it still doesn't mean that a 30* rating which works for me would work for you or anyone else.

It is a controlled independent test using a thermal manikin. its always tested the same way. and its costly! I can try and find the real test if you want. I was doing some research into a product I wanted to use for insulation. I wanted to test it to have some real stats but the costs for me starting out were pretty crazy.
How do US manufactures get their temps? they just make them up as far as I can see?? Some use EN_13537, but alot dont.

Of course it wont mean a 30 degree bag will be the same for everyone. But If I have a bag here that I have used that is tested as lets say -10C comfort. I can buy another brand/insulation and if it has the same -10C comfort rating it would be the same for me, more or less(from my experience anyways).

colonel00

WKR
That's interesting. If you come across the article, I'd be interested to see how they do the testing. I don't know that there's anything like that in the US but I'm no expert. I agree that it would be nice if it was at least standardized to the point, as you mention, where you could relate a temp rating that you knew worked for you across multiple brands.

I own several EE quilts of various temp ratings and now always take the 0* with heavy Hoodlum and an EXPED pad. You cannot make a quilt warmer but you can vent it to make it cooler so my advice to anyone making the switch, get a zero degree quilt first. One time the temps really dropped hard and even the 0* wasn't adequate so I placed my Sitka Kelvins on top of it and was toasty warm the rest of the night and fell right back asleep. Waking up cuz you're cold sucks.

Last edited:
I like the quilt strictly for the room. I don’t sleep well in confined mummy bags.
For many years i used a military poncho liner and poncho in temps down to low 40’s.
I have one 30* synthetic quilt and several different mummy bags.
In the next few years i will add a couple more quilts and thin the sleeping bag herd.

Temperature ratings are so subjective it’s not funny. Years ago my “go to” mountaineering bag was a 20* down mummy.
That bag served me many nights well below zero and at high altitudes. As i get older, i’m much more sensitive to cold.