Silvertip vs Supertarp

sveltri

WKR
Anyone have experience with both shelters? If so how do they compare inside, pack ability, ease of setup? I have a Silvertip and have no complaints just thinking about trying something different.

akrdkill

WKR
I cant imagine anything will do well in heavy wet snow...even a tent with good support it'll be tough on

I imagine a Silvertip will be.If nothing else at least the central location of the stove should be more effective for drying out.We will see

I ran the Supertarp for a few nights this summer before moving to an LBO. Its not a Silvertip but I think my observations are fairly transferable.

Livability: Definitely goes to the LBO. The Supertarp was big enough to sit up in but moving around inside was a pain, constantly brushing the walls and knocking condensation off. Also having to crawl in and out of the Supertarp on my hands and knees got old pretty quick. Also being open on one end took some getting used to - both for a sense of security and for site selection.

Packability: Big win for the Supertarp and the primary reason I gave it a shot in the first place. Packs to about the size of a Nalgene and weighs almost half what the LBO does.

Ease of Setup: I'd go with the Supertarp here too but not by much. Due to its lower profile, the Supertarp is easier to set up in wind.