Sleeping Bag Upgrade Suggestions

AXEL

WKR
MF, unless you are doing a lot of snow camping and in snow caves, etc. I have had GT shells, have a better one, Endurance, on my original custom ID winter bag, but, one seldom needs this and it is heavier and more costly.

I do have eVent bivies, tho' and prefer one of these plus a MF shell for VERY wet camps, where I am not using one of my Hilles. Even under a good tarp, the current MF shells are fine, much better than the old "ripstop" we used to have and it was a sponge.

boom

WKR
the thing that sucks about sleeping bags..you kinda need more than one.

you cant expect a bag to keep you warm when there is a light snow out, and also use it for an early warm weather archery hunt. you will sweat balls, even just using it as a blanket. i dont have a lot of bags..but i could use a 30 :) and a 10.

i am pushing it with my Alpinlite (20) in AZ chasing deer in Jan..i have frozen my ass on some years..a 10 would be a better fit, with clothing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ agreed- I have a FF 30 degree bag (conservative rating) that I use during “summer” (late spring/early fall) and a FF 10 degree bag (actually closer to 0 with 3 oz of 950 overfill) that gets the nod the rest of the year

I think there may be parts of the country where you could get away with one bag, certainly not Montana

OP
E

Evoac05

FNG
Alright, you guys talked me into it. I'll plan on picking up a WM Sequoia MF 5* bag for the late season, but now that means I need to get something for spring/summer. I think I want an EE Revelation, but I'm not sure what temp I should get. Suggestions?
Thanks for all of the info BTW.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you’d be covered just fine with a 30 degree bag/quilt for the rest of the year and if you ever get a wild hair to visit the Arctic you can layer your “summer” quilt over your 5 degree bag :D

Alright, you guys talked me into it. I'll plan on picking up a WM Sequoia MF 5* bag for the late season, but now that means I need to get something for spring/summer. I think I want an EE Revelation, but I'm not sure what temp I should get. Suggestions?
Thanks for all of the info BTW.

You will cherish the Sequoia. I own one personally, and AXEL bought his from my shop. Extremely well made. Western Mountaineering does not scrimp on the goose down quality. They publish 850+, but it's not uncommon for their test results from samples to be 900+. Mature goose down from Poland, and it won't break down like the immature down from China that is used by some mfgrs.

Valandre' has a new "chill out" series of bags that I like. Made with French duck down, they are less expensive than their goose bags but still very high quality.

Ten Bears

WKR
I just snagged a Sea to Summit Micro 3 from Campsaver a few weeks ago for a shade under $300. For a convertible quilt to bag system that is more than true 28 degree rated and packs down to under 5L at 1.10oz, I am overly impressed. It seems to check a lot of boxes to get me sleeping comfortably in summer well into late fall.

Worth a look for anyone in need of a super versatile system that can be found for a few dollars less than the FF or WMs.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Squeeze your budget, buy a WM Sequoia, in the length you need and call it done. I have owned/used many bags since 1964, all the big names including original Marmot Mtn. Works, original Canadian Integral Designs, FF, three WMs, Valandre Shocking Blue , Fairy Down, on and on and on. I just bought a WM Terralite and a Sequoia, last summer and am good to go until I croak......spend the coin, you will be glad you did!

What Axel said...^^. I just bought a Western Mountain Seqouia 5* bag from classifieds here on Rokslide... it will be more than your budget.. buy once cry once as they say... You won’t regret your it at all... bag for a lifetime. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rizzy

WKR
The ability to roll over and take a leak in the middle of the night with the center zip slick bag is worth twice what they cost. That was a very noticeable improvement in my sleep this season. Roll to the downhill side tho ;)

I just bought a NEMO Nocturne this last year, and it's the only mummy bag I can stand to sleep in because it actually has foot room! It has a "Spoon" shape so it widens out for your legs and feet, and the fabric is soft and doesn't stick to your skin. It packs down pretty small and weight 2 lbs 5 ozs wtih 750 fill goose down. It's a little pricey at $360, but with the Rokslide10 coupon code on BlackOvis, it knocks it down to $325.