Sleeping Bag Upgrade Suggestions

Evoac05

FNG
I'm in the market to upgrade my sleeping bag and hoped that I could get a few suggestions on ones that would meet my list of wants in a new bag or quilt. I currently have an Alps Crescent Lake 20 degree bag, so pretty much anything will be an improvement. Below is my list of wants for a new bag or quilt. What I don't like about my current bag is the restrictive toe box and knee area, which I understand is something that comes with a mummy bag. So I guess I am curious as to which mummy bags are less tapered and have more space to move your feet and legs around. I've never used a quilt, but I am open to using one.

I'll be using this for backcountry rifle/late season hunts here in Washington. It will be paired with a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite pad and used in a Tarptent Squall 2. I plan to upgrade my tent and get a floorless shelter, but that will be at a later date.

I've been looking at the Nemo Nocturne 15 degree bag because of it being less tapered. I also like the look of the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed, but it appears to taper as much as a typical mummy bag.

Weight - under 3 pounds
Relatively small compressed size
Larger toe box and knee area
Warm to about 15-25 degrees
Price - hoping to keep it under $300, but may be able to bump up my budget another $100

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look up the dimensions/measurements of your current bag (should be able to find them online) and then compare them with other bags. I know Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends both offer wider bags (typically they will also be wider at the shoulder, so remember that). I want to say that a few of Marmot's bags might be a little wider as well.

A quilt can offer you more room in a wide or extra wide cut, but a quilt comes with a little bit of a learning curve that a sleeping doesn't.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
FWI I have 2 EE setups . (1) is a 10 degree Covert xtra long /xtra wide and a Conundrum 10 degree xtra/xtra . I too am from the wetside of Wa. (SW Wa.) Conundrum is more like a bag with a footbox and the Covert is a quilt that zipped you can pull up the draw strings to close it up . I use both as bags with a good R value pad . I put the bags/quilts in a light weight bivy (Tigoat) to keep them clean and and a little more protection. Great setup and light and packs small .

Jimbo V

WKR
There’s a Western Mountaineering Veralite in the classifieds right now. It’s a little over your budget but will be far superior than anything new in that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CiK01

WKR
I have a EE Revelation and ended up needing to keep it tight around me because I am a side sleeper and roll off. It will tighten up around whatever pad you use, it’s pretty flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the brand Outdoor Vitals. I don't have one of their bags, so I can't speak from experience, but they seem like a really great deal given the dimensions. Light weight, inexpensive and compresses small.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

OP
E

Evoac05

FNG
The EE quilts look nice. I like how it's a hybrid bag/quilt. Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.

EE Enigma 20* here. Love it.
I am a quilt convert as I bought a Hammock Gear quilt and had it built to 15 degrees. Had the same problem with my mummy as I move a lot and a quilt really helped with that. For me, it has been one of the best decisions ever as its way, lighter too and I now get a decent nites sleep. LOVE MINE!!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
unlike others; since the OP asked about sleeping bags, i'll keep it to sleeping bags.

i would get the used Versalite. Western Mountaineering makes the most awesome bags. i have a quilt coming soon, but my Alpenlite will never be sold. first my wife loves it, as do i. it is wider,so i can sleep in damn near any position..and the zipper - you have to try hard to get the fabric caught up in it. my 20 deg bag is very warm..i cant go down in the 20's with it..but i sleep very cold. at freezing, i wear my merino.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll chime in one more time :) I also use quilts, but that use is now restricted to ~ 25-30 degrees. I’ve owned quality quilts rated down to 0- if everything is perfect they will work as advertised, but as the mercury drops there is much more likely to be gaps where cold air makes it’s way in. There is more futzing with a quilt over a bag and for me the extra weight of a bag in colder temps outweighs any weight savings- ymmv :)

AXEL

WKR
I'm in the market to upgrade my sleeping bag and hoped that I could get a few suggestions on ones that would meet my list of wants in a new bag or quilt. I currently have an Alps Crescent Lake 20 degree bag, so pretty much anything will be an improvement. Below is my list of wants for a new bag or quilt. What I don't like about my current bag is the restrictive toe box and knee area, which I understand is something that comes with a mummy bag. So I guess I am curious as to which mummy bags are less tapered and have more space to move your feet and legs around. I've never used a quilt, but I am open to using one.

I'll be using this for backcountry rifle/late season hunts here in Washington. It will be paired with a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite pad and used in a Tarptent Squall 2. I plan to upgrade my tent and get a floorless shelter, but that will be at a later date.

I've been looking at the Nemo Nocturne 15 degree bag because of it being less tapered. I also like the look of the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed, but it appears to taper as much as a typical mummy bag.

Weight - under 3 pounds
Relatively small compressed size
Larger toe box and knee area
Warm to about 15-25 degrees
Price - hoping to keep it under $300, but may be able to bump up my budget another $100

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Squeeze your budget, buy a WM Sequoia, in the length you need and call it done. I have owned/used many bags since 1964, all the big names including original Marmot Mtn. Works, original Canadian Integral Designs, FF, three WMs, Valandre Shocking Blue , Fairy Down, on and on and on. I just bought a WM Terralite and a Sequoia, last summer and am good to go until I croak......spend the coin, you will be glad you did!

Squeeze your budget, buy a WM Sequoia, in the length you need and call it done. I have owned/used many bags since 1964, all the big names including original Marmot Mtn. Works, original Canadian Integral Designs, FF, three WMs, Valandre Shocking Blue , Fairy Down, on and on and on. I just bought a WM Terralite and a Sequoia, last summer and am good to go until I croak......spend the coin, you will be glad you did!

Very good advise here. I like the way this man thinks.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Add the WM Badger to your list.
If you search for a bit you may be surprised what you can get one bought for.

R

OP
E

Evoac05

FNG
Alright, now I think I need to stretch my budget and get a WM bag. The question now is, which bag? I listed a few that I think will work based on it not being a traditional mummy bag. I'm liking the TerraLite due to the weight, but I'm not sure if I should get a warmer bag. I start off cold when I first go to sleep, but I tend to get hot as I sleep. Ideally I'd like a 3 season bag, which has me thinking the TerraLite since it won't be too hot in the summer. Thoughts?

TerraLite 25*
Sequoia MF 5*
Sequoia GWS 5*

I love my WM alpinlite but if you are tight on a budget you can find the comparable feathered friends bag for sub $500 new IIRC. The FF taper a little less and offer slightly not hip room as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
regarding temps- obviously a 25 degree bag would be ideal for "summer" (late spring/early fall), it could be a bit dicey mid-late fall depending on where you intend to use it

is there a suitable bag that is in between 5 and 25

definitely look at Feathered Friends as well- very high end quality and they have a wide cut bag in almost every temp range

AXEL

WKR
Among the various bags I have had and used was the FF I had made for me in 1989 and gave a friend in 2013. I used it quite often, but, it was not quite what my WM bags were/are and I still strongly recommend a WM Sequoia.

This is, IME-IMO, probably THE most functionally "best" bag out there for we side sleepers and men of "substance" and is as close to "perfect" for most conditions in northern WA-southern-mid BC as is possible. If, I could only have one bag for everything, this would be IT.

OP
E

Evoac05

FNG
Among the various bags I have had and used was the FF I had made for me in 1989 and gave a friend in 2013. I used it quite often, but, it was not quite what my WM bags were/are and I still strongly recommend a WM Sequoia.

This is, IME-IMO, probably THE most functionally "best" bag out there for we side sleepers and men of "substance" and is as close to "perfect" for most conditions in northern WA-southern-mid BC as is possible. If, I could only have one bag for everything, this would be IT.

Would you suggest the MF or GWS model?