Kifaru TUT or SO Cimarron

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, new guy here.

After lots of time reading things here on Rokslide I decided to become a member. Seems like a great place to share ideas, gain knowledge and discuss things we all enjoy. I returned in early November from my first backcountry/mountain hunt. This trip was unguided and I can honestly say it was the best experience of my life even though we returned home with no trophy. The entire experience along with my drive for succes has made the decision to continue this style of hunting very easy. Thanks to all the members for providing information that helped make my trip as enjoyable as possible.

Now that that’s out of the way. I’m looking to make more trips in the future and want to upgrade my shelter. I want something I can run a stove in. Needs to be able to sleep two with stove and gear inside maybe 3 without stove. I narrowed my options down to the TUT and Cimarron but if you have other suggestions I would love to hear them.

I have done searches and viewed other threads. Most are older and now that people have had the two shelters longer I wanted some more feedback. Each have pros and cons that I have thought of but let me hear yours. One that I’m kind of stuck on is the SO offers screen doors that aren’t removable vs the TUT has a removable option.. How many of you all running a floor less have them? That’s one of the big things I have wondered as on the SO that’s weight you are always packing that may be useless.

Any feedback positive or negative about either shelter or even other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Alan.

Can’t help with the Seek Outside but absolutely love my Tut. Perfect size for two plus stove and Gear. Haven’t tried 3 without a stove but I’m sure it’s doable. The side walls that pull out a little give great usable space inside and it feels much bigger than its 100x100” footprint. I put 12” of guy line and line locs all along the bottom edge to give myself a 3-6” lift off the ground. It improves ventilation and I haven’t noticed any major condensation issues with it raised up a tad. Swapped the factory aluminum pole for a lighter weight custom aluminum pole from BearPaw Designs. Saves me about 8oz and haven’t had any issues yet. Good luck with your decision.
d619815528e6b99df21f07d3081abdf4.jpg

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. If you run it tight to the ground is the condensation bad? I have heard horror stories about it but it’s all an opinion.. Also what’s the size of the stove jack? I was looking to run a small Ti-Goat WiFi. What size are you and your hunting partner? I’m 6 foot and so is the guy I usually hunt wirh.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I have run the Tut in the past but never with a stove. In my opinion 2 guys in the Tut is about all you would want to do, unless you want to be uncomfortably cramped I don't see how 3 would fit. With two guys and gear there is some room left over to do things in there like cook breakfast and what not I think if the stove was there free space to do such activities would be gone. Also unless you have a custom option for the bug net the Tut does not offer this option from Kifaru it is designed as a lightweight option and therefore no frills. The stove jack is completely customizable to whatever stove you buy you cut the hole for the pipe.

I opted to sell my tut and purchase a sawtooth from Kifaru. I have not taken it in the Backcountry yet but the few extra ounces it weighs over the Tut are well worth it from the experiences I have had so far. It can definitely sleep three guys if needed there is plenty of space for two, gear and a stove and then room to do others things such as cook breakfast. You also have options to add a bug net door, or a liner (to eliminate to rain effect from condensation). I would highly consider this shelter in your search, it is also better at shedding wind and snow than the Tut if you adventures happen to need that. Oh and one last thing that I didn't think was a big deal till I experienced it in the sawtooth, it is very nice to be able to standup and put on pants...I am 5'11" so you should be able to fit as well. Good luck in your search!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks for the reply. If you run it tight to the ground is the condensation bad? I have heard horror stories about it but it’s all an opinion.. Also what’s the size of the stove jack? I was looking to run a small Ti-Goat WiFi. What size are you and your hunting partner? I’m 6 foot and so is the guy I usually hunt wirh.
Probably, But this really goes for any single wall shelter. With just a low pitch in the tut you will probably have some condensation. "Horrible" condensation comes when you combine that low pitch with something else - like adding a second person or pitching it over grass.

Been using the tut for almost a year now and still learning it, but I've found that I just prefer a higher pitch. The ventilation helps with moisture but I also just find it more comfortable with some air flow. It also adds just a tiny bit of headroom which is nice. (I'm 5'11" and I can stand up inside, but I don't too often. Have to be right next to the center pole with my head tilted a little.)

The worst condensation I had was this past Sept. in WY. My buddies, who don't run floorless, got there a few days before me and set up the campsite in a beautiful creekside meadow. It was just starting to rain and sleet when I got there so I got it set up as fast as I could w/o fussing over location at all, which meant I pitched over tall, wet grass. Still, with a few inches of lift, a tyvek sheet on the ground, and just me sleeping inside, the condensation was less than I expected. You didn't want to brush up against the walls in the morning, but there is plenty enough room inside to avoid that with just one man and gear. Yes, the stove helps, but honestly I'm usually headed out the door before it really has time to really dry out the walls.

When I 1st pitched it in such a rush to get out of the rain, I thought I would move it to a better spot the next day, but I never did. I only saw camp in the daylight twice in 10 days and was just too damn tired to mess with it. I guess what I'm saying is that the condensation was the worst i'd ever had, but with a few adjustments to compensate for a bad location it still wasn't bad enough for me to move.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Can't speak on the Seek Outside, but I have a Sawtooth, I personally feel you should consider it over the Tut, the liner is a game changer and isn't available with the Tut, also I feel the stove placement is better in the Sawtooth and makes it less likely to have an accident with your pad and bag getting burned by the stove. I would never plan on trying to put three people in a Tut or Sawtooth unless two of them were really beautiful women that I'm not related too!

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Do any of you who have used the sawtooth find it hard to pitch? Is it tough to find a location big enough for the foot print? Any pics of two sleeping layouts plus a stove?

texag10

WKR
Have you seen the pyramid review sticky in the Sleep Systems forum? Both shelters you're interested in were reviewed.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cimarron with 2 long ways has good room. 3 can go in a C shape but only minimal gear and you are in "your" spot only. I used one 2 seasons but am moving on (8man for Cadillac hunts and LBO setup for more minimalist hunts with the ability to grow the shelter, thus the cimarron didn't really serve a need for me anymore).

oldgoat

WKR
I thought I had a good pic but can't find it. There are decent ones on Kifaru. Just depends on the country your in on finding setup spots, biggest problems we've had is finding spots without widow makers!

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info on the mid review over in sleep systems. I will be sure to check it out. The pics on the Kifaru page aren’t bad, I was just looking for some with other peoples setups. Thanks for all the info guys.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Cimarron with 2 long ways has good room. 3 can go in a C shape but only minimal gear and you are in "your" spot only. I used one 2 seasons but am moving on (8man for Cadillac hunts and LBO setup for more minimalist hunts with the ability to grow the shelter, thus the cimarron didn't really serve a need for me anymore).

On your Cimarron do you have a inner as well as outter stake out loop? Saw a video on YouTube showing one that did. I like the idea of that and was wondering if they all had that. Also did you have extra guyouts added?

KurtR

WKR
here is the best pic i have of the cimaron we used it with two in Idaho this year and it worked great with plenty of room
Fvcdf7g.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Great photo. Looks like a great shelter. Does yours have a inner and outer stake loop? Does it seem to pitch pretty well/easily?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On your Cimarron do you have a inner as well as outter stake out loop? Saw a video on YouTube showing one that did. I like the idea of that and was wondering if they all had that. Also did you have extra guyouts added?

I don't think I've ever seem one with that (not saying it doesn't exist) so obviously not. The tipi's do though, was there also a tipi in the video? Either way I'm not really sure what purpose inner and outter loops would serve, I put linelocs on all the stake loops and stake off the cord attached to those as many others do. You can pitch it raised or down to the ground with that setup. I added extra guyouts on mine.

d29af8dd5acd6ed9095eef3ad74ecae7.jpg

Cimarron w/Kifaru Box stove.

The 2 shelters you’re considering are so similar. There is not much that separates them except maybe the fabric type and the guyout locations. At 6’6” the Tut is a little taller too (6’ for the Cimarron). I opted for the Seek Outside simply because it was cheaper, and I am definitely a Kifaru guy. The Cimarron was perfect for two people, and a stove. Condensation was not a problem in October, and I kept the lee side raised for mitigation. You can’t go wrong with either of them, but I would seriously consider a Sawtooth if you want to stand regularly, or use a liner. Plus the footprint is the same width (8’6”) as the other two, it’s just longer. Due to its shape, the Sawtooth bucks the wind better as well. All of them would serve you well. Good luck in your decision.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think I've ever seem one with that (not saying it doesn't exist) so obviously not. The tipi's do though, was there also a tipi in the video? Either way I'm not really sure what purpose inner and outter loops would serve, I put linelocs on all the stake loops and stake off the cord attached to those as many others do. You can pitch it raised or down to the ground with that setup. I added extra guyouts on mine.

No tipi in the video. It was a PFL video on YouTube but it was around 2 years old. I called to place an order for the Cimarron and they said they don’t add extra guyouts anymore as they are not necessary. Any companies that could do it down the road if I wanted it done. The fella I spoke with on the phone said it had a inner and outter loop but it seems as if they don’t. I don’t think that the inner and outter lip are an end all but maybe a nice feature.

Lawnboi

WKR
I also have a cimmaron, never used or seen a tut, but have used other kifaru shelters.

I got the cimmaron for the wife and I. I have also used it solo. Awesome little shelter. SO imo is right up there in quality.

I got the 2 person half nest, works awesome as well when needed. Wife won't go without the nest....yet. Also works well for back home with skeeters.

I do wish I had gotten extra guy outs, reason being is e shelter gets pretty loud with a good wind. Idk if SO offers them, worth calling to ask depending on where and when you will be using the shelter. Seems like they are constantly tweaking the design, see a lot of different things on mine, compared to pics on the net. Best bet is to call and ask what has changed and what your exactly getting.

I do wish SO would make a liner for it. I'd be all over it. Condensation is what other single walls have been.

Another consideration. I can pitch the cimmaron with a trekking pole and the little extender deal. This is a big deal for me when it comes to backpacking. Even with measured 50mph winds, the trekking pole and extender hasn't given me problems despite some serious flexing.

On top of it all it's cheaper, and gives you more options.

Just some reasons I went with the cimmaron when shopping for a 2 person shelter for all over.

I'd doubt you will be disappointed in either shelter.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
4636e124bff289f42c384fcb2f4935a7.jpg
a1cdc8d997b83fd685e517ee3bf1d7fb.jpg

No stove but you can see my buddy has his cot in there with plenty of room...there is room at the foot end as well for storage. The pitch in my opinion is easier to do well than the Tut especially for one person. The foot print is longer as others have stated so you may have to look for a spot but I do the see that being an issue.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No tipi in the video. It was a PFL video on YouTube but it was around 2 years old. I called to place an order for the Cimarron and they said they don’t add extra guyouts anymore as they are not necessary. Any companies that could do it down the road if I wanted it done. The fella I spoke with on the phone said it had a inner and outter loop but it seems as if they don’t. I don’t think that the inner and outter lip are an end all but maybe a nice feature.

There is an inner and outter loop on the guy out points (the two on the ends that SO puts there), perhaps that is what the person was telling you about? I don't think the extra guyouts are needed to keep the shelter from blowing away but they can help a tad keeping the corners pulled outward a little bit to aid in the space inside. More of a nice to have versus need to have. Yes William Hanson (here on rokslide) for instance can add guyouts, also FYI he does a slightly larger pyramid shelter (which is the style the tut is along with numerous other manufacturers who also do pyramid shelters). Honestly I'm not really sure what the two different inner/outer loops are for even though my new tipi has them, haha. Anyone know off hand? I'll say this though, I can't think of a single incident with my Cimarron that I wished I had tieout loops on the inside for some purpose. The only thing that possibly comes to mind is staking on the inside and then packing snow or sod onto the skirt to seal the bottom of it off (which I've never wanted to do since I want some airflow). But if you send out the Cimarron to have guyouts added just ask to have some inner stake out loops added if you feel they serve a purpose.