Synthetic Sleeping Bag Suggestions Needed

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies. How well does the Slick Bag compress compared to a similar sized down bag?

Jauwater

WKR
I recently purchased a REI Lumen 20, and have been blown away by the weight, and compressibility. I’ve used the bag between 20-30 degrees and was comfortable. It’s under $200, it weighs under 3lbs, it compresses down into a 10L Stuff Sack. Compresses even further with Compression Sack. Just an all around great sleeping bag it has been for me so far. Unaware of the insulation used or it’s specs other then it being a synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used a bivy but have read other people saying a bivy can make condensation worse. Any truth to that?

I've been using a issue bivy for decades. Your correct that some bivys (mostly nylon) will increase condisation. However, gortex doesnt if used properly- meaning your head isn't buried in it, your breathing causes it.

Another advantage of the gortex bivy, if you have damp/wet clothing you can place them in the bag with you and it will aide in drying them out.

My experince is that the gortex bivy increases the overall temp rating of any particular bag 10-15 degrees. I can't say enough good things about them. The only negative is an extra 1.5# in weight. If your on a budget, its THE solution.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I should also mention that I am describing a bivy as the outter layer to the military issue 3 layer sleeping bag; not to be confused with the tent style sleep system it is also refernced as.

Have you thought about the newer water resistant down? I would look at the Marmot Down Defender or if you have the $ - Kuiu. I have a 15F Deg. Kuiu and it is really nice easily down to ~20 F and is <2#. I live where it always is wet outside and condensation is a bear. (SE Alaska).

You also may look into a better bivy/tent system to minimize the condensation - what are you using?

In the MH ultra lamina right now. Unfortunately it isn't so cold tonight to strengthen my argument but I am very comfortable in a 3 sided shelter and 30* F right now. This bag is rated 15*F and I have been fine at that temp in a 4 season tent. I also have an excellent pad, which helps, exped synmat hyperlite. Doesnt sound like a bag of potato chips either, which is why I bought it instead of the thermarest that everyone seems to love.
e13b9008b8f3e2f968cdfbe012b21d7b.jpg
bc28f58c6c9a0676bb5353578c9fd916.jpg

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Currently using a Marmot Sawtooth 15* down bag, but I'm tired of it getting wet from condensation, and the worry that comes with having a damp down bag
Thanks,
Hunter

Hunter, I really like my Montbell spiral stretch bag...its much warmer than the rating to me.

You can find these and others on sale for as much as 40% off in Jan/feb at the online sites like Campmoor/ Campsaver/ Backpacking light

I run a Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Flame which is a 20 degree bag. Had it in 15 degree weather this fall and was fine. Compresses down really well. Just bought my girlfriend the Hyperlamina Spark, which is a 34 degree, for backpacking in the summer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm in this same dilemma right now. My niece and nephew are wanting sleeping bags for Christmas, and I'm in the debate right now over temp rating and what not. Niece is going to school in southern Virginia, nephew still lives in SE TN. I'm thinking synthetic, somewhere in the 20-30 range. I'm about to go into Campsaver and ask them what they recommend, but I'm all ears from you guys as well. FWIW, their mom is getting them both XLite pads to go along with them so they have the pad aspect covered.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies. REI has the MH Lamina Z Flame on clearance right now for $148, and they emailed me a coupon for 25% off any clearance item so I picked it up for $111. Pretty happy with that deal.

amp713

WKR
Without blowing too much money what is a weight everyone is ok with for say a 10-15 degree bag? I've got a cheap 20 degree bag that really isn't crazy heavy and it keeps me fairly warm. Always curious if I should upgrade a little or just run it till I trash it and then get a slick bag

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Without blowing too much money what is a weight everyone is ok with for say a 10-15 degree bag? I've got a cheap 20 degree bag that really isn't crazy heavy and it keeps me fairly warm. Always curious if I should upgrade a little or just run it till I trash it and then get a slick bag

I try to stay under 3lbs...however, good sleep is something I'm willing to trade a little weight for.