Synthetic Sleeping Bag Suggestions Needed

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Currently using a Marmot Sawtooth 15* down bag, but I'm tired of it getting wet from condensation, and the worry that comes with having a damp down bag (downside of a floorless shelter). Also, the temp rating on that bag is off by about 15*, as I get cold in it at 30* or so. I'm curious about the Wiggy's 20* and the Kifaru 20*. I know the Kifaru should pack down smaller than the Wiggy's and might be a touch lighter...are the temp ratings on these bags accurate? Any other bags I should be looking at that are a good value in terms of packed size, weight, warmth, and price?

Thanks,
Hunter

The wiggys bags are probably very warm but very large and the one I ordered was 1.7lbs over the advertised weight. On top of that I had to speak with Wiggy about a return and he is a Jackass.

I have a Mountain Hardware Lamina Z that I like and it's warm.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I just got a 34F Lamina X Flame. Seems like a nice bag for the weight/price, only minor complaints are the foot box is a tag more snug than my ideal (tolerable) and its not generous in its length. I got the regular and a 6' it fits but without much margin.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
The wiggys bags are probably very warm but very large and the one I ordered was 1.7lbs over the advertised weight. On top of that I had to speak with Wiggy about a return and he is a Jackass.

Yeah I was looking at the MH bags too, but figured if I was going to spend that much I might as well just spring for the Slick Bag. I can get a Wiggy's right now for $140...which might be very worth it for truck camping, but I wouldn't want to put it in my backpack.

oldgoat

WKR
I generally am a warm sleeper, but I have to wear something to bed with my 20 degree slick. But it's an awesome bag! Really really like it. Had a 15 degree Big Agnes before, it was super comfy, but didn't like having to depend on inflated pad for all my bottom insulation!

I had the new version of the kifaru center zip 20 degree bag with apex insulation. Now I seem to be a cold sleeper and I got cold in the low 30’s. I am using a pad with a r- value in the 5’s so that’s not the problem. I looked on the kifaru website and can’t seem to find the weight of apex insulation they use. I know climashield claims their 7.5 oz apex is rated to 10 degrees. When I bought my enlightened equipment 20 degree apex quilt they use 8.0 oz for a 20 degree. I’ve been in the teens in that quilt and stayed warm. It would be interesting to know the weight of climashield apex kifaru uses in their 20 degree bag.

Last edited:
I generally am a warm sleeper, but I have to wear something to bed with my 20 degree slick. But it's an awesome bag! Really really like it. Had a 15 degree Big Agnes before, it was super comfy, but didn't like having to depend on inflated pad for all my bottom insulation!

Which slick do you have? Side zip, center zip Combat insulation (I think they did this combo but not 100%) or center zip Apex?

Last edited:

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Cheaper to get a good bivy cover for your bag. $20-30, gets you a army gortex bivy which also increases your temp rating

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was curious so I just looked on campmor, these are all bags I've seen good things about before and are around the 3lb mark (not bad for a 20f synthetic).

20deg north face cats meow $190
20deg MW hyperlamina $180-190
20deg marmot clouldnbreak $180

Again you can knock 20% off those and pick up 10% back so $130-140 on those.

Also, remember that most ratings assume "that the sleeper is wearing a layer of long underwear and using a sleeping pad under the bag." (from REI website)

I have also seriously considered the Mountain Hardware Lamina line as they seem to be a great budget option.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have also seriously considered the Mountain Hardware Lamina line as they seem to be a great budget option.

Considering your size you'd probably want to see if REI or such has any model you might me interested in, see my comments above for the 34F lamina flame (foot is a little narrow and overall length is snug, both would be cured with a long for me but I'm only 6').

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
You should check out the MH HyperLamina. They have a 0* and 20* synthetic that are nice and light. I have a 20* and find it to be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering your size you'd probably want to see if REI or such has any model you might me interested in, see my comments above for the 34F lamina flame (foot is a little narrow and overall length is snug, both would be cured with a long for me but I'm only 6').

That's why I decided against it. I just barely fit in the Long/Wide Slick Bag.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used a bivy but have read other people saying a bivy can make condensation worse. Any truth to that?

I've never used a bivy but have read other people saying a bivy can make condensation worse. Any truth to that?

Yes, but a lot has to do with the type of bivy you’re using. I’ve never used a stand alone bivy, or a bivy made with Event, so I can’t comment on that, but I’ve heard of a lot of folks having condensation issues with many of the stand alone bivy’s that don’t breath too well or really don’t breath at all. I use UL bivy’s in my floorless shelters that are made to breath very well on top( tops are not at all waterproof), and I’ve had very little, if any, condensation issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiggys are heavier, bulkier and frigging bulletproof. The Freedom Shelter doubles as a poncho.