Stove use question

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
For those with stoves do you take any fire tools for using the stove. How do you deal with ashes and clean out on a daily basis between fires? Just curious as the stoves are pretty small and probably need cleaned if using for a week. Never seen anything mentioned. Guessing it is an un-install and dump, but figured I would see what everyone does.

Thanks!

Yep the stove pipe slides out, take stove outside open door and dump it. This is on a cylinder stove set. Most will be the same for back packers.

stove tools to open and close the door and arrange the coals are the next sticks to go in the fire. if I find a particularly well-suited one, it gets spared and designated as the door opener.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't go in as far as some of these studs, so I can take extra gear, I carry a small shovel and a cloth water pail, I did a hole and dump the ashes and pour water on them and stir. Don't really have to do it very often, usually just when I'm packing up, I think we were out for a week plus last year and never had to dump the ashes, the small sticks we burn, get completely consumed so there isn't a lot left over. Don't overthink it to much!

I think I’ve only ever worried about ashes being dumped at the end of a trip. As for tools, a glove is used every now and then and an assortment of sticks from the pile.

I made a knob for my door out of a small piece of locust wood. The damper on the door gets poked with a stick. I have a pair of leather and flame resistant gloves that get used a little in the process.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m like several of the others-a stick gets used to open the door and adjust the damper. I’m definitely curious about the hollow antenna idea-I’ve needed to get some air into the stove to help things along. I also bring some firestarters and have found that’s helped me out a couple times. I ended up with wet wood everywhere and getting it going initially was a struggle. The firestsrters I used are ones I made with cardboard egg cartons, wood chips, and paraffin wax. Each “cup” is cut into 4 pieces-they start really easily and burn well for a while.

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
stove tools to open and close the door and arrange the coals are the next sticks to go in the fire. if I find a particularly well-suited one, it gets spared and designated as the door opener.

Finding the right pokey stick is key to good fire tending. Well, it helps pass the time at least.

I’m like several of the others-a stick gets used to open the door and adjust the damper. I’m definitely curious about the hollow antenna idea-I’ve needed to get some air into the stove to help things along. I also bring some firestarters and have found that’s helped me out a couple times. I ended up with wet wood everywhere and getting it going initially was a struggle. The firestsrters I used are ones I made with cardboard egg cartons, wood chips, and paraffin wax. Each “cup” is cut into 4 pieces-they start really easily and burn well for a while.

Jeremy

Thanks to the suggestion from Mr. Stid, I carry one of these now. Not only can it inflate your pad while you are setting up the rest of camp, it is great and putting some air into a stubborn fire.

NeoAir Mini Pump | Camping Gear and Camping Accessories | Therm-a-Rest

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Brad- That’s that’s quite the little tool to take along. I don’t have that brand of pad, but I could see how it would be nice to have along. Thanks for the idea.

Jeremy

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned by someone in a previous post I also use a hollow telescoping radio antenna for stoking a stubborn fire, probably the best value weight/size bit of gear you can take. You could probably even use it as an emergency straw to get water out of a crevice if you needed one too.