Seam Sealing

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting ready to order a Cimarron bundle and I was wondering if you guys would pay extra and have the company seam seal the shelter or if I should do it myself? I am not in a hurry to receive it so lead time and sealing time is not an issue. Just wanting to get a few opinions.

ghost338

FNG
I haven't seen the SO sealing quality, but assuming it's good, how much is your time worth to you? Sealing is easy but requires space to set up, seal, and then dry before taking down. I'm particular about quality and it took me a couple hours to do it all by myself. I'm a busy guy, so it would be worth the $45 to have it done and focus on more productive things. I didn't go that route because I needed the tent asap.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is spot on.

I have the same shelter system (Cimarron/Med Stove) and it has been great. If it suits your needs and the way you hunt I suspect that you will be very happy with it.

I sealed mine myself largely because I live in Western Washington and have to contend with lots of rain typically, so I went all out and generously applied sealant both inside and out as well as every possible penetration point.

I did mine myself (Redcliffe) .
Worth it to do it yourself- you know exactly what you are getting. I did the entire outside as well as the top on the inside.
No doubt they would do a great job, but you're gonna set it up at home anyway to get a feel for it, so......

I like to do all my stuff though- just the way I am.

I would think about the weather of course. This time of year for me it is either : freezing, raining, or snowing and I do not have a place inside to do it. Will your weather or location cooperate with you?

Also, I really do not care for this common trend of having the customer seam seal the product. It just brothers me. For the price, shouldnt the damn thing come ready to use?! But, since your only choice is to pay for the seam sealing (which ABSOLUTELY should already be done) or do it yourself, I would have them do it. Either way, it should come to me READY TO USE.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I have their 8 man Tipi. When I bought it, they didn't offer it as a service yet. I would have paid to have them do it.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I would think about the weather of course. This time of year for me it is either : freezing, raining, or snowing and I do not have a place inside to do it. Will your weather or location cooperate with you?

Also, I really do not care for this common trend of having the customer seam seal the product. It just brothers me. For the price, shouldnt the damn thing come ready to use?! But, since your only choice is to pay for the seam sealing (which ABSOLUTELY should already be done) or do it yourself, I would have them do it. Either way, it should come to me READY TO USE.

I recall this being discussed before. It has to do with the fact that most high end shelters come from smaller companies. The shit you get from Wal-Mart (China) is mass produced and seam taped. The seam sealing process takes a lot of room and time that most smaller companies just don't have. So, they offer the opportunity for the customer to do it in order to save a little money on what is probably already an expensive investment. It helps them and it helps you.

Plus, you probably need the extra practice setting it up anyways.

I recall this being discussed before. It has to do with the fact that most high end shelters come from smaller companies. The shit you get from Wal-Mart (China) is mass produced and seam taped. The seam sealing process takes a lot of room and time that most smaller companies just don't have. So, they offer the opportunity for the customer to do it in order to save a little money on what is probably already an expensive investment. It helps them and it helps you.

Plus, you probably need the extra practice setting it up anyways.
Oh, well i appreciate the info. Thanks. And I appreciate that you think I need practice setting up tarps.

I think it is great there are options with many of the companies to have it done or not before it comes to you. I remember being pissed when I got my megatarp from 1shotgear, (already in $545 plus shipping without stove) and they didnt include the tube of sealer. Also didnt send it when I told them they forgot it. Water under the bridge now, but when its snowing or raining every day for fall and winter, and I dont have a garage, i would have loved the option to have it done before i recieved it.

gumbl3

WKR
I've made a couple of my own shelters, I don't find the process to be too bad, I'm setting it up, taking it down many times working all the kinks out anyways. I use the GE Silicon II method (I love that stuff from my previous days working on dish machines) and usually have some on hand.

I've seam sealed a few shelters using 100% silicone and mineral spirits. Key is to take your time and hopefully do it inside if possible. If you have to do it outside, make sure there is no wind because it's a real pita. The benefit is that seam sealing doesn't last forever so eventually you'll have to seal it again. Might as well figure it out now.

OP
B

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up ordering the cimarron bundle and just paid extra to have them seal it. I have sealed a few smaller tarps in the past, but I don't have the space nor the time right now to do it. This is my first floorless shelter so I'm pretty excited to try it out.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a SO Redcliff last year and had SO seam seal it . They did a great job . As stated above if you got the time and area to do it yourself I'd do it . I've since bought a DST tarp and sealed it myself . Going to get a LBO and I'll do it myself also . Not a hard job . Just watch a few videos and you'll be good to go. That way if it leaks you can cuss yourself (1st hand here . Missed a spot)