New Stone Glacier Tent

AXEL

WKR
I spoke with Pete at SG, about 2 hrs. ago and he was so polite and helpful. Based on that call and the info. here, I AM buying one when they start shipping and may well pre-order, depending on my income tax obligations this year.

But, this is THE tent I have been wanting to fit between my Hille. Saivo and Niak. Perfect for sunny weather camps to fish BC mountain lakes.

b171b95abbe42d25b4010e33293f2b3c.jpg

Looks like a dome with a top strut, linked inner with exterior poles.

Pole structure looks similar to a MSR Hubba Hubba, which I have always liked

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I spoke with Pete at SG, about 2 hrs. ago and he was so polite and helpful. Based on that call and the info. here, I AM buying one when they start shipping and may well pre-order, depending on my income tax obligations this year.

But, this is THE tent I have been wanting to fit between my Hille. Saivo and Niak. Perfect for sunny weather camps to fish BC mountain lakes.

How can we pre-order???

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
It's on their website now, hopefully their video on it will hit youtube in the next month or two

It looks to me like SG may be branding the CrossBow2. As someone else mentioned, same specs... even down to the "WebTruss" system.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I was just doing some general surfing of ultralight backpacking gear. I research A LOT, and had never come across the company before at all. It wasn't more than three days ago. Then, all of a sudden, I see the link to the new tent that Stone Glacier's putting out. Pretty coincidental!

jwb300

WKR
Am I the only one that notices it looks a lot like the kuiu tents? Which are a copy of Big Sky? I don't remember for sure which brand but to me it does not look like a new design.

Exactly - just buy a Big Sky Chinook that is lighter, cheaper and you don't need trekking poles to use the vestibules. It can be run as a 3 or 4 season with 2 or 3 poles respectively, pitched fly only for floorless and has an exoskeleton.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the comments and interest in our new tent, below are some the specifics that may help answer some of the questions posted in this thread:

The Sky Scraper 2P is a 4 season, free standing tent designed for the harshest environments. SG partnered with tent designer Martin Zemitus who has over 30 years of mountaineering tent design experience. Using patented WebTruss technology designed by Martin Zemitus, we were able to create a tent for hunters that are equally suited for alpine mountaineering, high winds, and heavy snowloads. Martin’s designs have been proven on Everest and around the world by alpine climbers, which is why we seeked out his expertise, experience, and proven patented design features.

• Minimal trail weight - 4.25 pounds, Packaged weight 4.8 pounds
• Patented WebTruss combines the ease of setup of external clip design tent with the increased strength of the sleeve tent design. The WebbTruss encapsulates the tent poles and allows them to be set without the tent body attached for ease of assembly in the wind. The WebbTruss further tensions the poles at each corner to increase the strength, reduce flex, and ties all 3 tent poles together into one unit for a stronger, more stable structure under snow load and high wind.
• Up to 14 external guy line attachment points and 4 internal for extreme high wind conditions
• Ability to attach trekking poles to each side of the vestibule strut pole to add vertical stability directly to the ground in high wind and heave snow load.
• 4 season rated, 2 doors, two 11 sq ft vestibules, 41.5 inches internal height
• Large internal tent mesh pockets for gear organization
• Internal tent body doors provide dual function with integrated zippered mesh for variable flow-through ventilation, up to 8 square feet of vent-able surface area (approx.. 4 sq ft per door)
• The Sky Scraper 2P is also modular. With the use Tub Footprint accessory, Sky Scraper inner tent body can be removed to create a earl season shelter utilizing the WebTruss and external fly sheet which drops an additional pound for a total of 3.25 pound minimal trail weight.
• The external fly sheet design equally disperses snow load and wind evenly through fabric and over tent pole WebTruss structure, does not rely on sewn seams/sleeves/clips to support weight as with external pole design. The external fly also reduces wind resistance in high winds with the pole structure under the fly and creates a smooth surface for snow load to shed. In very wet conditions, the external tent fly sheet can also be stored separate from the tent body during packing/travel to minimize moisture being transferred to the internal tent body living space. The external fly sheet also allows the use of the Tub footprint for a 25% lighter early season shelter.

Skyscraper 2P Tent

– Stone Glacier

Delivery date on the Sky Scraper is scheduled for early summer, tent is currently available for pre-order.

Best,
Kurt

And Martin Zemitis the founder of slingfin. Mystery solved. Looks like a sweet tent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Such a shame that it does not set up 'fly first' such as a Hilleberg, Big Sky, Kuiu. There are lots of good tents out there, but without having the ability to set up fly first with the inner already attached, is a deal breaker for me. In wet weather this can be crucial for keeping your inner tent dry as well as greatly reducing the set up time.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Ben,
I understand your hesitation as I have used a Hilleberg Solo for the last 10 years and I am very accustomed to the exterior pole set up (a great tent by the way.) However, after using the Sky Scraper my preference has changed. I have had way more issues in inclement weather with the external pole design where the wet fly has to be packed with the inner tent as they are attached on the external pole design. The inner tent and outer fly then get compressed together in the stuff sack and all of that moisture gets trapped and pushed into the internal tent. I found several advantages to the external fly, the highlights for me are listed below:.

1.) As mentioned above, when you have to move camps on a wet day and the outer tent fly is wet, you can pack the inner tent separate from the wet fly to keep the inner tent from getting wet in the stuff sack. This is big advantage for me as once the inner tent gets wet, this leads to other issues such as moisture migrating into the sleeping bag and any other gear you have in the tent once you set it back up. With the external fly sheet design, you can also shake a majority of the moisture from the fly before packing as it is separate from the inner tent body. On an external pole design, this moisture/condensation ends up trapped between the fly and inner tent. The only way to shake the moisture off is to take the tents apart.
2.) The external fly sheet evenly distributes the weight over the WebTruss and poles, the weight does not hang off the poles as with an external pole design. This allows the weight to be supported by the fabric and not the stitching as stitching is a typical weak spot in fabric products. This also allows the weight to be supported evenly along the tent pole and not just at the locations where the clips are installed.
3.) The external fly sheet is a smooth surface and sheds snow evenly. I have had issues in heavy wet storms with the pole structures of an external pole design not allowing the tent to shed as the pole structures holds the snow. This smooth surface of the external fly sheet also will not catch the wind and cause as much tent “chatter” in very high winds.
4.) The external fly sheet tension is adjustable. I have had issues in the past with a sagging tent fly in very wet conditions, more prevalent with wet snow than wet rain. Add wind and you can start to get that tent “chatter.” The external tent fly can be adjusted at the four corners with tension straps as the weather/wind changes. Most external pole models are set, once you set the pole structure that is the tension you have. This has also been an issue for me on slightly uneven ground as the highest corner of the tent will sag slightly as it is being pushed up.
5.) The internal pole design also allows the same tent to be used with just the Fly Sheet and the optional tub floor for an early season tent which shaves another pound.

In regards to set up in the rain, the difference in set up time is minimal as the fly can be attached over the Web Truss before you clip the inner tent. In other words, as soon as you roll out the inner tent, you can set the poles and put the fly sheet on first. When done in the correct sequence, the inner tent is only exposed for a couple minutes.
There are many different ways to view the benefits of each design, but these are the reasons I personally prefer the internal pole design with external fly sheet. By all means there are some fine external pole design tents on the market, but the internal pole design solves the above problems I have had in the past with light weight shelters. I hope this give a little more insight as the concept behind the design. On a side note, we will have videos on all of the different set up options and more specifics as in the coming weeks.
Best,
Kurt

Stone Glacier - Ultralight Packs

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
Kurt, I completely agree with your assessment, except I personally do not like taking my inner tent or other gear out of the dry bags in my pack during a storm even for a couple of minutes before the tent fly is set up. Have you thought about playing around with a possible accessory like an ultralight polypro webbing/ribbon ground setup (instead of a full tub floor), which would allow for truss and fly setup before clipping in the inner tent?

I have no idea if this would be a big seller, but I made myself a similar setup for a Big Agnes tent, and it works pretty well.

Thanks for the post. Very well thought out response that makes a valid case for the design features of the tent. I also use a Hille Soulo and while it is fantastic, the issues you highlight with that design are indeed real. By the way, the X-Curve belt that you modified for me is absolutely perfect!
Cheers,
Ben