Sleep system need help

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
Currently I’m running a

Big anges seed house 1
A slumberjack mummy 20 degree
And a klymit static v pad

I used this on a summer scouting trip and did not sleep for 3 days. I was sore, miserable and did I mention sore???

I’ve used the seedhouse for years and love it
My dad has a thermorest pad can’t remember what one but it’s the yellow one. Super comfortable but noisy as hell and would wake me up if I would have fallen asleep haha luckily I shot my bull 3 days before I left for my 7 day hunt.

This year I’m seriously considering a hammock and a tarp. It gets me off the ground and they seem very comfortable. I have a chillax hammock right now. It’s a bit heavy for what it is but no heavier than a tent.

Also need a new bag. Mine does not compress and I’ve had it sense I was 12.

Any insight on the hammocks would be great
Tarp recommendations? The kifaru is well out of my price range
And bag recommendations

I hunt northern Idaho in September. Anything from a down pour @30 degrees to 75 degree nights

Thanks!!

Colton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
Also need to add the reason the hammock seems appealing to me is finding a flat spot to throw a tent is next to impossible. I’ve waisted hours in the dark looking for a flat spot where with a hammock throw it up and camp is set

Hammocks are very comfortable and I prefer them over tent. Only issue is when it gets slightly cold my back side was really cold. Ive heard under quilts help this but never took time to buy one. Other than that some of the best sleep ive got was in a hammock. I think if you spend some cash on a nice setup youll enjoy it. As far as bags, i like the quilt i bought this year , they arent for everyone but i like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
I

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mind spending money on a sleep system but 350 bucks for the tarp is a bit steep.

3 things I’ll spend money on is
Boots
Clothes
Sleep

You can have the best glass in the world but if your feet hurt, your wet or cold, and you haven’t slept it will ruin your hunt real quick

I hear you on that a 350 tarp i cant do , research hammocks but you will definitely want an under quilt if you go that route and are down in the 30’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fitzwho

WKR
Checkout Hummingbird Hammocks’ Pelican Tarp.

My current setup is:
HH Pelican Tarp
$26 random hammock from Amazon with Amsteel 1/8” loops and Whoopie slings
Cedar Ridge Outfitters 30F underquilt and 20F top quilt
Luta Locura Carbon fiber stakes

I have a new custom 11.5’ hammock and ridgeline from BeardedHanger on order. Check out their website, they list weights for each of their Hammocks.

I would say if it’s colder than 65F you will get cold in a hammock, so the underquilt is the most important part.

i don't have experience with the hammock but i have the thermarest pad. i don't find the noise bad, but that's me. the thing with hammocks is your limited to the tree's. also in cold weather the addition of an under quilt is a necessity and more pack pack space and weight. let alone money. buy a down sleeping bag/quilt AND an underquilt. my issue with air pads in general is the possibility of popping it. if its part of your insulation, then if it goes flat you have nothing but cold ground. when it's dark and your setting up camp, you don't have time or light to clear every stick and pebble to insure your pad doesn't get popped. comfort wise, the thermarest is great. popping your pad in a hammock is not an issue. everything has a positive and a negative. its a matter of finding what works best for you. buy it, if it doesn't work for you i'm sure you could sell it.

Shraggs

WKR
I went a hammock this year mainly cause hard to find flat space for tent. Really liked it, comfortable for sure. Takes some getting used and did so prior to season.

Being my first time, just bought he henesse hammock, their hyperlite model - totally turn guy for just under 2 lbs with the overhead tarp.

Had to change go to a quilt of course, and an underquilt. Enlighten equipment revelation in 950 fill treated for water repellent. The revolt underquilt matching. Both in 20 degree. The quilt is life changing for me especially since it can be used with any ground pad.

Keeping the tent, both go on a trip. Which is packed depending on where going.

OP
I

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome advice so far thanks guys.... sell me on the quilt idea I don’t understand why I’d pack 2 quilts when I could pack one bag???? I’ve always liked sleeping in a bag

Fitzwho

WKR
When you lay on insulation like being inside a bag while laying in a hammock. The insulation underneath you is no longer insulating anything because you are losing your static air gap. A top quilt is just that a half or so of a sleeping bag that keeps you warm from the top. The underquilt hangs below/against the hammock insulating you from underneath. My top quilt weighs ~24 ounces and underquilt around 28 ounces and both pack down pretty small. There are much lighter options depending on how much you want to put into your setup, Cuban fiber tarps, 950 FP down, etc. Someone already mentioned Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear, Underground Quilts, etc all provide options for insulation (synthetic and different weights of down) and temperature ratings.

My whole kit is right around 5lbs. Which is tough (not impossible) to match with a tent, pad, and sleeping bag. And maybe a little heavier than running a floor less shelter. Which is what you have if you add a ground sheet/bivy and sleeping pad to your tarp if you’re headed somewhere without trees large enough to hang.

View attachment 63765

Here’s what I would do:
- Fly Creek UL 1 person tent
- Qcore UL pad - super comfy
- Modern 0 degree Down bag - I use the Eddie Bauer Down 20 degree bags waterproof bag
- Squat and DL once a week to make the added 2 lbs feel like nothing.
- hunt harder and smarter because you are warmer and happier at night

I use a Kammok Roo and one of their tarps paired with a Woobie for the early season hunts. The hammock is about 11’ long and about 5’ wide. They make python straps to girth hitch around a tree making set up ridiculously easy.

I can sleep on my back or side and sleep better than I do on a pad or in a cot. It was about a $400 investment, but worth every penny to me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The TR XTherm is less noisy than the original yellow Neoair- it's also double the warmth for a mere couple of ounces. I purchased the XTherm a couple of years ago for winter camping, after using it I sold my original neoair and now use it summer thru winter.

rayporter

WKR
my pard could sleep on an iceberg with one feather under him but when he got a hammock he had to find insulation. he ended up using a couple of cheap wally world pads to sleep on in the hammock. 2 shorties if I remember right. may have been 3. he slept and snored like a bear after that.

Shraggs

WKR
My EE 20 top quilt is 17 oz, the under quilt is 13 ( 2 oz less than my extherm pad). With hammock and tarp I'm less than 4 lbs.

Above is correct, the way you fit in hammock, there would be zero loft with anything you use between you and hammock. Underquilt is answer and a substitute to ground pad if in a tent from a weight perspective.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Check out butt in a sling hammocks for some ultralight hammocks, Hammock Gear make great quilts, and Simply Light Designs for a silpoly tarp.
The setup I'm moving to this year is a membrane silpoly tarp from simply light, Hammock Gear quilts, and a hummingbird hammock with hummingbird suspension. Should be just over 3 pounds which is a whole pound lighter than my tent alone.

I already have the hammock and suspension and top quilt. If i didnt already have the hammock i would have gone with the butt in a sling. The longer the hammock the easier it is to get a diagonal lay. But i do like the hummingbird suspension.