Floorless shelter pole question

colonel00

WKR
Well, I'd rather have my pole flex versus snap. I've posted before about my CF pole snapping this year under an unexpected heavy snow. Luckily I could put the tent back up with my trekking poles and I was even able to find a "branch" on the North Slope of Alaska (there are no trees up there for those keeping score) that was long enough to work as well.

I guess my point is that I'd never go into a situation with only one option for erecting your shelter. After all, it is your Shelter If you plan to cut a pole, at least have trekking poles that you can use in a pinch. Maybe you get in super late at night or get caught in a surprise storm. Being able to put up the shelter quickly will be important. If you have the time, you can seek out a nice limb to serve as a pole as you set up a "true camp".

Seems like a great option to keep in mind, depending on your situation. If I'm packing in with horse support, or if I'm moving every day, or if I'm in an areas where nice surplus poles aren't readily available, I take my factory pole. But if there's just 2 of us and we're backpacking in a redcliff or 6/8 man for a week long camp it seems like a pretty efficient way to shed 1/2 - 3/4 pounds. I've seem folks go through much more tortured maneuvers and expense to reduce their pack weight by half of that! Plus, if I'm packing a stove, I'm probably going to have my Bob Dustrade bow saw or some other little saw for wood processing anyway....

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought this pole for my silvertip is an adjustable tarp pole and is pretty light will do the trick nicely from rei weighs 13oz for the 6 ft #845322

Attachments

• 06F273DE-344D-4284-9258-E1A30C72FF88.jpg
    06F273DE-344D-4284-9258-E1A30C72FF88.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 55

4ester

WKR
I just bought this pole for my silvertip is an adjustable tarp pole and is pretty light will do the trick nicely from rei weighs 13oz for the 6 ft #845322

I’ve been using the REI or Kelty Aluminum Poles as well. They work just fine, and the price is right. I snapped a trekking pole the first time I tried them. I little extra assurance is worth the weight to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
The only times I've ever seen a tent have a problem is when the poles flex too much.

You want your tent or tipi to hold its intended shape to shed the wind.
first lake.jpg

I let my guy lines get loose on my tipi [pictured] this year and when it starts to concave inward is when you have the problems. Pitched tight, it sheds the wind just fine.

I had some hellacious 90 mph gusts on Kodiak concave one side of my 6 man Cabelas tent as the poles were too weak....ended up snapping them and caving in half the tent. [A couple of the guyouts tore loose] Made for a jury rigged setup for the last couple days.

If your pole is flexing....get yourself a stronger pole or poles.

That is a good find Ross. I just got one and cut about 10" I didn't need off of it.
Tim

Mike7

WKR
I am another who has had a carbon fiber pole break, but only under a great snow load when I left a tipi up. Never did the carbon pole have any problems in tge wind. The carbon pole was useless after breaking, whereas a bent aluminum pole may have been field repairable?

Having used aluminum and carbon poles, I don't think the tiny amount of flex in an aluminum tipi pole affects much in maintaining tipi shape in the wind, while the amount of tipi material stretch and whether the tipi has wall tieouts or not seem to play a much bigger role in maintaining tipi shape.