Floorless shelter pole question

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Looking to switch the the floorless shelter option for my next hunt and I wondered why people carry poles to set them up? Wouldn’t cutting a nice diameter tree to size and using that be just as effective? I haven’t tried it but a nice straight aspen should hold that shelter up just as effectively and can be found all over in the mountains. Anyone have experience with this? He floorless shelters sure are nice and light, especially if you don’t carry another pound or two in a carbon pole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
I have cut a pole often for a 6 man or smaller [ shorter]

you lose some adjustability but that can be overcome. I uset to carry an old leather glove to put over the top of the pole.

Yes it would absolutely work but there are times it doesn't.
Like above tree line, when spending night in different spots every night and you don't want to find a pole in the dark etc.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Yeah I was thinking that putting something over the cut end to protect the fabric would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Yes, especially with all of the standing lodgepole...those make great tipi poles.

Then just cut any within falling radius of you.....

tttoadman

WKR
It is not our place to be logging the wilderness to setup our tents. That doesn't fit into my idea of "leave no trace".
To carry a saw to cut a pole would add almost as much weight as a pole.
When I move around every couple days, I don't have to keep cutting more poles.
I always have my trek poles, so that doesn't add any weight for me.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Been there does that. Cut many of aspens for my center pole for Sawtooth and SOS Cimmeron. Now I just carry a ruta locura Center pole that weighs 8 ounces.

Carbon Trekking poles dont exactly count as weight in your pack. There have been some studies that also show use of poles increase efficiency and fatigue.

Bones

WKR
I use carbon trekking poles as well for my cimmaron. The ones I have are the cascade mountain tech carbon poles that some have found at Costco. Since the end isn't removable to fit inside the opposing pole to link them together, I ordered an extra end piece for $8 from their website and used an arrow saw to cut the end off. I then just remove both end sections and use my modified end piece to link them together. The extra end piece goes 1.2oz on my scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use carbon trekking poles as well for my cimmaron. The ones I have are the cascade mountain tech carbon poles that some have found at Costco. Since the end isn't removable to fit inside the opposing pole to link them together, I ordered an extra end piece for $8 from their website and used an arrow saw to cut the end off. I then just remove both end sections and use my modified end piece to link them together. The extra end piece goes 1.2oz on my scale

Great idea, I might have to do the same!

A pole made from a local tree (preferably already dead) would work. I would only go that route for setting up a basecamp...not for constant moving, but maybe that depends on what's easily available in the area.

A thing to keep in mind is that aluminum and carbon poles are designed to flex under stress. Believe me, I've seen it in action. In a heavy storm with big winds hammering the tipi, a center pole will flex (deflect from center) dramatically. This helps protect the fabric (all seams, top cone, zippers, etc) from absorbing 100% of the wind energy. Without that flex (say you used a 3 or 4 inch wood pole) I think you run the risk of a damaged tipi. When you think about it, all lightweight tents use some type of support structure to keep them upright and protect the fabric.

My practice has been to use a manufactured pole and not try to get around it. If my pole ever gets damaged, Plan B is a locally cut pole....assuming it's there to cut.

rayporter

WKR
kevin has a valid point about flex. I would not cut a pole for the 12 man for this reason.

also many rivers and high mountain areas don't have any thing over 3 ft tall. this means you must know whats there

we have went on several floats a paddling trips where we moved camp daily. I never found it a hassle to get the tipi up. while I set pegs my pard cut a pole and sent it in to me. if it needed 'adjusted ' I sent it out and he cut some off. done, camp up. even in the dark.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Lots of good points. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Simple, the carbon pole is typically lighter than the saw you would need to cut down a wood pole.

I use my carbon pole cause when I bought the tent it came with it. It is only 11 0z and its carbon. Everybody knows carbon is cool.
I wanna be cool. I use carbon.
Seriously at just over 1/2 lb, its one less thing to scramble with, when the storm hits and you are trying not to get soaked, and want that shelter up asap.

I use my carbon pole cause when I bought the tent it came with it. It is only 11 0z and its carbon. Everybody knows carbon is cool.
I wanna be cool. I use carbon.
Seriously at just over 1/2 lb, its one less thing to scramble with, when the storm hits and you are trying not to get soaked, and want that shelter up asap.

^^^This! Cool people use carbon fiber, it’s as simple as that! I’m not cool, but I’m trying very hard to be, so I also use CF. When I use my solo shelter I use my trekking poles and they’re made of CF, so there, I’m still using CF, and I’m a little bit closer to being cool, at least I am in my mind.

oldgoat

WKR
^^^This! Cool people use carbon fiber, it’s as simple as that! I’m not cool, but I’m trying very hard to be, so I also use CF. When I use my solo shelter I use my trekking poles and they’re made of CF, so there, I’m still using CF, and I’m a little bit closer to being cool, at least I am in my mind.

No no no! Recycling is cool and aluminum is recyclable, using aluminum poles is cool!

Beendare

WKR
It is not our place to be logging the wilderness to setup our tents. .....

Every area i've elk hunted recently has so much standing dead timber its crazy. You are doing the wilderness a favor cutting that down. Plus I already have the saw for firewood in my stove.

Last thing i want is my center pole flexing. Bend it too close to your stove pipe and you have yourself a serious problem. My tipi is a little heavier fabric than the Kifaru....it ain't going anywhere if the 60 mph winds in alaska are any indication. Flexing of the center pole or the fabric not being tight and concaving in is not at all what a guy wants in these shelters, IMO.

Just about any shelter design is better off holding its shape to shed the wind...especially tipis.