Miserable time in a tent

Mike7

WKR
I am a stomach sleeper and toss & turn. It sounds like a thicker wider pad might help you?...but more importantly, I think you would probably love a really wide quilt like an EE extra wide (have it built custom if you need to). I have no drafts with this setup and can sleep below my quilt's temp rating with my Xtherm pad and by adding an EE apex insulated hood. In fact, I usually have more problems with sweating from being too hot, than anything else. The hood stays in place and moves with you, while the quilt stays attached to the pad, and with the extra-wide size you can adjust how much of the quilt is under you based upon the temp.

For another 20-30 oz, you can get a floorless pyramid shelter that would be a palace for 1 guy. Another benefit of this setup, which is especially nice during a storm, is that you can release one snap on your quilt, kneel on your pad without your feet ever leaving the quilt, relieve yourself in the designated spot in the floorless shelter, and then be back snug in your quilt in under a minute.

OP
big10hunter
It kind of sounds as though you hate backpack hunting. Or maybe you just hate camping. Odd post.

Enjoy backpack hunting. Hard to go hunt above timberline on two hours of intermittent sleep a night. Wouldn't be posting if I wasn't looking for a solution. Odd post???

gelton

WKR
seems like a nice thick air pad and a roomy sleeping bag would improve things a lot.Maybe a couple of advil P M s as well

This is what I would recommend. I am only 6ft and always go with a long and wide bag. I have a western mountaineering kodiak that I can toss and turn in without getting the bag all tangled up. The bag stays where it is but I am able to turn at will without worrying about it.

I tried both quilts and sleeve bags, both worked but wasn't great. I finally got a Nemo spoon bag this year and finally fits my style of sleep. I can toss and turn all night, not get cold from drafts, side sleep(insulation all around)and has the most leg room I've found in any bag. To me it's worth the extra pound.

A thicker sleeping pad will help, there's a couple 4" out there but really it's only going to do so much at high altitude. I read a study that showed the effects of sleep in places other than your bed, this was in hotel rooms, that the first 2 days most people got horrible sleep no matter what. Naturally you body goes into high alert mode subconsciously. I can't imagine what sleeping in the wilderness at high altitude coupled by hunting does to your body. That being said I noticed if I can keep my tent in the same spot over the entire hunt I get better sleep. I also try get a 2 hr nap in around noon if things are slow. I never use sleep aids but when I'm in the backcountry I'll take 2 Tylenol pm at night. Tried melatonin, it's given me ultra weird dreams every time. Obviously dehydration is an issue, peeing out my bag in a floorless is a must nowadays.

I also listen to a book on tape from audible.com on my phone, stops my mind from racing. I have only ever hunted solo, which also adds another level of alertness but I feel ya man, it can be hard to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Enjoy backpack hunting. Hard to go hunt above timberline on two hours of intermittent sleep a night. Wouldn't be posting if I wasn't looking for a solution. Odd post???

A thicker pad made all the difference for me.I sleep like a baby on my Exped

Hammock?

Live2hunt custom shelters

Us hammock guys are the exception to the rule, there's a steep learning curve to hanging and many feel somewhat claustrophobic in one. If you are a hammock kinda camper, you cannot get a better nights sleep. research proves hammocks are superior for deep sleep and elimination of stress on pressure points. But they aren't for everybody.

Last edited:
OP
big10hunter
So what sleeping pad is wider and thicker and still somewhat light?

Neo Air exotherm long.I'm sure someone will correct me but I think its 19 or 20 oz.and rolls up a little bigger than a nalgene bottle

Klymit makes a 30" and its what I use.
I sleep on my stomach, but sort of on my side too.
I need the 30". I have a mummy bag, but will be switching to a spoon.
I am searching for a quality spoon bag that has a pad sleeve built in that accommodates the 30" wide pads. That way the advantage of the 30" pad stays an advantage all night.

I also added the thermarest z pad for additional comfort/protection under the pad. I use Tyvek as my first layer in my floorless tipi.

I would get a floorless tipi . I personally got a size that is 3x's what I need, cause I sleep better in a bigger space. Probably just mental, but it works for me. I don't think I could multi day hunt out of a small bivy sack.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’d try a hammock in your backyard and see what you think. I move around a lot in my own bed but I don’t move much and sleep better in a hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I too am big and a side sleeper. I do ok with an air mattress but its not great. I went the hammock route and its significantly better but not ideal. Just make sure if you go that route go long and wide as its easier for us side sleepers. Otherwise those ultra lite cots are a good solution as well.

So what sleeping pad is wider and thicker and still somewhat light?

I use an EXPED UL9 LW w/ R rating of 6. They stopped making em but you can find em used from time to time. Very comfy and worth the weight penalty (26oz). What's a good night's sleep worth?

cochran53

FNG
I tried both quilts and sleeve bags, both worked but wasn't great. I finally got a Nemo spoon bag this year and finally fits my style of sleep. I can toss and turn all night, not get cold from drafts, side sleep(insulation all around)and has the most leg room I've found in any bag. To me it's worth the extra pound.

A thicker sleeping pad will help, there's a couple 4" out there but really it's only going to do so much at high altitude. I read a study that showed the effects of sleep in places other than your bed, this was in hotel rooms, that the first 2 days most people got horrible sleep no matter what. Naturally you body goes into high alert mode subconsciously. I can't imagine what sleeping in the wilderness at high altitude coupled by hunting does to your body. That being said I noticed if I can keep my tent in the same spot over the entire hunt I get better sleep. I also try get a 2 hr nap in around noon if things are slow. I never use sleep aids but when I'm in the backcountry I'll take 2 Tylenol pm at night. Tried melatonin, it's given me ultra weird dreams every time. Obviously dehydration is an issue, peeing out my bag in a floorless is a must nowadays.

I also listen to a book on tape from audible.com on my phone, stops my mind from racing. I have only ever hunted solo, which also adds another level of alertness but I feel ya man, it can be hard to sleep.

My experience is purely camping and hiking at this point, but I found the Nemo Spoon bags are great for me as a stomach/side sleeper. I also use a sea to summit comfort plus. It's not super thick, but the way I have zero issues with pressure points. I'm not a small guy either at 6'0 235. The sea to summit isn't the lightest pad, but it is pretty comfortable for a ground pad.

TMan84

FNG
Another hammock convert here. I have spent many nights in the woods and never in hammock until a couple of years ago. A buddy of mine had two of them, he swore there was not a better nights sleep to be had in the outdoors. I made fun of him for a while, then after much thought and persuasion I decided to try it.
I have not spent a night on the ground since, unless I took my little boy out with me.

Many people swear they are not good for cold weather, but I have used mine all the way to the mid-teens and low 20's without a problem. My buddy uses an underquilt and a sleeping bag. I refuse to be out in the backcountry without a sleeping pad in case I have to sleep on the ground due to some unforseen circumstance.
I use my sleeping bag and a double layer hammock, which means my thermarest x-therm goes between the layers....like I said this set up has taken me in to the 20's on a regualr basis and dipped in to the teens once or twice.
Of course I use a tarp over the hammock, so I can always pitch the tarp with hiking poles if needed and sleep on the ground.

It is versatile, and sleep as good in my hammock as I do in our expensive serta Hybrid mattress.

I can give you more details/brand of what I use if needed.

Good luck!

JNDEER

WKR
I don't know how big you are but I know all about restless legs. Sorry to hear that.

For lots and lots of room ( I am not huge, but not tiny either) I have been using a BA Wide Long bag and pad (double Z). The pad is 4" high and I can toss and turn and roll and side sleep much better than with any other bag/pad combo I have used. The BA system really helps with the rolling all night long.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If your trouble sleeping is related to claustrophobia and a lack of headroom, check out the Wall Tent Shop's Wilderness Canvas Tent with a 6' sidewall. We make these in an 8x10 and adding a foot to our standard 5' sidewall is going to give you a 9' peak and might make you feel more at home. That combined with a quality sleeping pad or bag could help you out significantly.