Miserable time in a tent

I just cannot sleep in a tent in a sleeping bag anymore. I am a side sleeper and move around a lot. I do not want to go to a teepee or tarp. any other suggestions?

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
What really bugs you about it?
I'm a side sleeper and granted, it's no party, but I manage. I've noticed what really pissed me off was that my hips always hurt because of sleeping on my sides and being a big dude. So I tried a lightweight cot and it helped a lot.
Bag tangling you up? Try a quilt. Lots of options, just need a bearing to start from to help bud!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Agree with other comments. Kinda confused on what a tent has to do with side sleeping. Unless you are in a bivy where you don't have room to sleep on your side (which you still should have) then I"m not sure what he shelter has to do with your sleeping position.

OP
big10hunter
What really bugs you about it?
I'm a side sleeper and granted, it's no party, but I manage. I've noticed what really pissed me off was that my hips always hurt because of sleeping on my sides and being a big dude. So I tried a lightweight cot and it helped a lot.
Bag tangling you up? Try a quilt. Lots of options, just need a bearing to start from to help bud!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am big also. I have restless legs (move around a lot at night). Being constricted in a bag is a big problem. How warm are quilts vs bags?

I am big also. I have restless legs (move around a lot at night). Being constricted in a bag is a big problem. How warm are quilts vs bags?

You will need a good R value pad , ive seen no warmth difference aside from the head portion were a mummy usually covers but i just put a beanie on. Much more ability to move and roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hall256

WKR
Why no tipi?

Do you want to stand?

Live2hunt custom shelters
Second this...Tipi's are the way to go. When you say you're big, I can assume you mean weight wise, but if you are also tall you should consider a tipi.

As for quilts, I have an EE 20° quilt and I love it...till it gets too cold. If the temps are forecasted to be below freezing I switch to a bag.

If you go with a quilt be sure you understand how to secure it to your sleeping pad to prevent drafts...this will help out a lot with the cold (provided you have a good r-value on your pad)....only downside is that it will restrict your restless legs almost as much as a bag, so you might as well consider a wide bag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No tent or tipi, I guess you are left with: flat tarp? Bivy? Motor vehicle? Log cabin? Open sky?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You could always get a camper. Or just relegate yourself to hunting and camping from a nice base camp with a large wall tent, cots, pads, large bags, heat, room to spread out, etc, etc.

I do probably 90% of my hunting from a base camp, and only pack in if I want to explore a deeper area, or just be in a particular spot for a few days. It's always a pleasure coming back to base camp. I sleep better there than at home.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider

Quilts can be just as warm as a bag, plus if you get hot, you can just hang a foot out or pull it back. A good thick insulated sleeping pad and a quilt will make life a LOT easier on you. Klymit makes a good thick 30in wide pad and Enlightened Equipment makes big quilts that you can make a foot box in if you want. Otherwise it's just like sleeping at home with a big thick blanket. Burrito your feet in and tuck the edges and you're golden.
I'm 6'2" and 300lbs , I ended up buying a oversized sleeping bag years ago so I could move around in it and not suffocate,, it was manageable. A few years ago I bought a Kifaru Doobie and it is the cat's ass when it comes to comfort in sleeping for me. I'm planning on getting a EE quilt this year to lighten things up.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
That Klimt 30inch wide pad and quilt are my go to. Super happy with this setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
big10hunter
Agree with other comments. Kinda confused on what a tent has to do with side sleeping. Unless you are in a bivy where you don't have room to sleep on your side (which you still should have) then I"m not sure what he shelter has to do with your sleeping position.

Tent = sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Constricted and uncomfortable

OP
big10hunter
You could always get a camper. Or just relegate yourself to hunting and camping from a nice base camp with a large wall tent, cots, pads, large bags, heat, room to spread out, etc, etc.

I do probably 90% of my hunting from a base camp, and only pack in if I want to explore a deeper area, or just be in a particular spot for a few days. It's always a pleasure coming back to base camp. I sleep better there than at home.

We backpack hunt so camp is not an option unfortunately.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
It kind of sounds as though you hate backpack hunting. Or maybe you just hate camping. Odd post.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just cannot sleep in a tent in a sleeping bag anymore. I am a side sleeper and move around a lot. I do not want to go to a teepee or tarp. any other suggestions?

We backpack hunt so camp is not an option unfortunately.

Well, when you put yourself in a corner intentionally.......that doesn't leave you too many options.

I'm a side-sleeper as well.......and a stomach sleeper, and a back sleeper, and a toss and turner. I agree......a pad and bag, or even a quilt isn't the most comfortable thing out there. But there are sacrifices to be made when we choose our style of hunting. You could add the weight of a cot as well, but there are sacrifices carrying extra weight.

You're kind of down to two options.......deal with it, or change your style of hunting.