Can someone explain quilts to me and their advantages

My quilt has 3 elastic cinch straps in the upper 2/3 of the length. I insert my pad into the foot box with the straps under the pad. So the sides of the quilt are under the pad which is secured with elastic cinch straps. You are sleeping on the pad with the straps underneath and cinch it up as tight as you like to prevent drafts.
I bought a Hammock Gear regular width and long length based on a friends recommendation as he said he wished he had the long version so he could tuck his head under it. I am 5-11 and 170 and I didn't need a wider one as mine works well as I often pull it over my head as I don't like a cold face/head (I do wear a stocking cap.)

hiway_99

FNG
For those of you that regularly sleep in your quilt below zero. What are you guys wearing to bed? I used a zero degree ugq on a xtherm pad last year into the teens. I was plenty warm but wore my socks and long underwear to bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
For those of you that regularly sleep in your quilt below zero. What are you guys wearing to bed? I used a zero degree ugq on a xtherm pad last year into the teens. I was plenty warm but wore my socks and long underwear to bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I did Kodiak in December this year. I wore my skivvies, perfectly fine! I actually overheated a few nights.

EE Revelation 10 degree with a z-rest between my neoair xtherm and the ground. I did pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I wear exactly what I'm wearing during the day EXCEPT my socks. I carry an ultralight pair of poly liners that I only wear at night. That way I can dry out my day-wear poly and wool socks. I also wear either a neck gaiter (on neck, over eyes, or on my head) OR a down hoodlum. So from head to toe: Down Hoodlum or Neck gaiter, Merino top, pants I wear during the day, merino long boxers, poly socks. I've never needed to put my down puffy on, but it's available too if I get a chill at night. Usually, though, it's just stashed in the footbox of the quilt staying warm for when nature calls (because it will).

EE Revolution with Thermarest Neo Air pad under my tarp 20-50 nights a year.

Last edited:

Ronb

WKR
Its no different than the down comforter on your bed. You can use the straps EE gives you and that basically keeps the entire back side kinda tucked under your mattress. I’ve never used the straps. I just throw it over like I would a blanket at home. Gotta be wide enough though. I have a reg. length and wide width. I’m 5-10 and #175.

I would try a night or two in the yard or truck camping with a quilt before packing in a ways in cold weather. I struggled with drafts in a reg/wide 0 degree enigma (5'10" 185) in upper 20 degree temps. If I have to get a long and extra wide plus hoodlum the weight savings aren't enough to get me out of a WM bag. There is a reason for draft tubes behind zippers and around necks in sleeping bags. I think an ultralight bivy would have helped quite a bit.

I bet most of the happy quilt users in this thread have significantly more time under a tent than me so it's clear they work well for some. Me, I sleep just fine in a slightly roomier cut mummy bag.

TXCO

WKR
I second them as a great option for summers and mild weather until you get around freezing. I have a wide 10 degree EE and I get drafty and cold after that. I was testing out a new tent this week in the backyard and still got cold in the upper 20s. My legs were warm but shoulders and arms were cold from the draft. I think Im going to break down and buy another bag for sub freezing and still use the quilt for summer/early fall.

HeadnWest

WKR
I second them as a great option for summers and mild weather until you get around freezing. I have a wide 10 degree EE and I get drafty and cold after that. I was testing out a new tent this week in the backyard and still got cold in the upper 20s. My legs were warm but shoulders and arms were cold from the draft. I think Im going to break down and buy another bag for sub freezing and still use the quilt for summer/early fall.

I just bought a 20º EE quilt. Am I out of my mind by wanting to use this quilt down to about 35ish? I always sleep with my merino base layers on. Below that I will be using my 15º bag.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I just bought a 20º EE quilt. Am I out of my mind by wanting to use this quilt down to about 35ish? I always sleep with my merino base layers on. Below that I will be using my 15º bag.

I agree, you’ll be totally fine. I’m
Actually interested in getting a 30 degree one to shave oz. and then sleep with layers on. I’ll already be packing a puffy or a synthetic insulation layer so might as well give ‘er some use!

I agree, you’ll be totally fine. I’m
Actually interested in getting a 30 degree one to shave oz. and then sleep with layers on. I’ll already be packing a puffy or a synthetic insulation layer so might as well give ‘er some use!

That’s what I do if I think it’s going to get cold. I have several EE quilts, but I use my lightest, 30° one the most. I haven’t used it in really cold temps but I’ve used it down into the low 20’s, in combo with my puffy pants/jacket, and slept nice and warm.

Runolfson

FNG
The vast majority of people complaining of draft problems is because their wuilt
is too short and narrow. I have a lot of experience with quilts comparing them to to sleeping bags, tracking warmth, etc. with more than forty people. For 99% of people DO NOT listen to those saying a normal width/length quilt sufficient if you want to use it below about 40 degrees.

I have used EE quilts extensively down to well below zero. Setup and sized correctly they offer great comfort and versatility. Done incorrectly they can be miserable. I am 5'9", 185lbs with relatively low body fat- not a terribly big dude. There is no way I would use a regular length and width quilt below 40 degrees again. Even with a long/wide EE I am only really good to about 5 degrees above the stated value when not supplementing additional insulation. A Long/Extra wide has been good for every person that has used it to the stated temp rating with no additional insulation. If I expect to be in single digit temps or below, I prefer an extra long/extra wide. This removes all drafts and makes wrapping up like your at home a cinch.

The biggest problems that hunters have with quilts that most backpackers do not is they are generally way bigger, they're generally not into the ultra minimalist idea, and they generally use them in much colder temperatures. I've seen LOTS of dudes who are 5'8", 220 lbs say that they are "normal" sized. You put that person in a regular width, or even wide width quilt and there is a good chance he'll hate it. Put him in one that is matched to his size and he'll probably love it.
So, that is me, 5'8 and 200#. What length and width do you recommend? I'm taking the quilt plunge. Looking at ee revelation 10*. Planning to hunt late October in Idaho. I think of myself as a warm sleeper.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TXCO

WKR

I think youll be fine. Ill also add Im a cold sleeped.

Plenty of people are fine with that combo but i'd recommend trying it in your backyard this winter before heading out for a trip with it.

Here are the biggest reasons why I prefer a quilt. I also like being able to open the foot box up on my EE Revelation to spread out if I want to. I’ve never had an issue with drafts but I always use them inside an UL bivy. This is a 6’, regular width, 10° EE 850 filll Enigma.
1ea84fa176345e35cb03bd2171d2ddaa.jpg

2c92aa23e0dfdc192d57a2cebb58dbb6.jpg

8ec6845923cadc3a9c122dd2c84c4331.jpg

That's incredible how small that compresses!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

lintond

WKR
For me the biggest advantage is I am a side sleeper who flops around a lot. In a mummy bag I would find that I’d end up in a pretzel or slide off my pad a lot. In the quilt I find I have more ability to roll around without tying myself in a knot. With my quilt I’ve slept down to 10-20 degree last year in snow and was plenty warm. You do have to take care to avoid drafts but that is worth it for me.

Everybody has personal preferences and there is no silver bullet that checks all the boxes without some trade offs.