What's your shelter?

I've been trying to figure out what shelter to buy for backpack hunting. I was wondering what most people are using as their shelter in the backcountry, also share your opinion if you like it.

Probably depends on what season and where you are hunting, but for archery in Colorado and summer solo backpacking trips...Mountainsmith Mountain shelter LT. I love it, maybe not the lightest out there (it is light though) but its fairly cheap. Haven't had it through any serious weather but its built well so i dont see a problem for backpacking/archery hunts and that potential rain storm that might come up.

Easy to set up, uses your trekking poles, and has how long you need to set your poles for the front and back printed on the side (just a nice little feature).

Im thinking of adding a stove jack to the annex part if i do any solo rifle hunts and/or winter camping and backpacking.

For now though our rifle hunts are usually out of a base camp so we have an 8 man SO tipi and a fourdog-3dog model wood stove.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

SO Redcliff. Absolutely love it for 3 of us and all our gear and a stove on a CO sept elk trip for 6days. Liked it so much I’ll probably end up getting a Cimarron as well for myself and my wife to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hunter6

WKR
This year I used a cimarron this year in eastern Oregon from July to October . I packed it solo a few time and with a partner. It made it through some high winds.
I’m a big fan and have nothing but good things to say. That is a lot of space solo. I also really enjoyed going floor-less this year.

I’m thinking about picking up a tarp also for quick solo trips to drop some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
Six Moons Lunar Solo LE. I can use a trek pole or a custom 5/8 pole I had made. It is pretty nice. Tough in any weather. It gets a little cramped. I put 24" guy lines on it so I can get it up higher.

We have one season on a cimarron. Really happy with it. I use a one person nest as a groundsheet in this.

I have a Silvertip on the way. I think I will be using this a lot with my nest. Maybe no more hitting my head on a wet ceiling.

I always carry a six moons gatewood tarp. It is my rain shelter and spike out shelter.

KurtR

WKR
SOS Cimaron with lite out doors stove. Two of us used it in Idaho this year and loved it. Plenty of room for 2 and the stove was a nice touch when it was 12 degrees the one morning. Condensation was minimal listen to what the guys on here say and it works

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coming from a supertarp and small box stove to a silvertip and an 18 inch cylinder stove...a little more space gained and a lot more heat and ease of keeping a fire going without a continuous feed needed.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Sawtooth w/ stove
para tarp
big agnes ul2

Im to the point where I will carry the extra weight of the sawtooth every time. If there isnt any precip in the forecast Ive found sleeping under the stars works just fine

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
SO Redcliff. Absolutely love it for 3 of us and all our gear and a stove on a CO sept elk trip for 6days. Liked it so much I’ll probably end up getting a Cimarron as well for myself and my wife to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Interesting. I have a SOS Cimarron with 18" stove and after a 5 day backcountry snowshoe trip with the gf. I am contemplating trading up to the Redcliff. We are also on the smaller side @ 5'10 150 and she is 5' around 100.

Is the Redcliff too much tent for two? I am torn again now.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
This year I used a cimarron this year in eastern Oregon from July to October . I packed it solo a few time and with a partner. It made it through some high winds.
I’m a big fan and have nothing but good things to say. That is a lot of space solo. I also really enjoyed going floor-less this year.

I’m thinking about picking up a tarp also for quick solo trips to drop some weight.

How was your Cimarron with your partner? Enough room or would you want to be looking at the Redcliff?

Hunter6

WKR
I didn’t have a stove but on one trip (car camping) my hunting partner brought a cot and there was still enough room. On a backpacking trip a different buddy packed way to much stuff and there was still room in the tent to not feel cramped.

c0e595a2e6bcf2b0e22321f3c4a5b7c0.jpg

My stuff solo the place is a palace.

d9ddd4f014de7c3976f755da3ecec31d.jpg

My buddies first backpack trip 4 miles in and he brought the kitchen sink.

15e15dd27c627dee36109b23598c6bd1.jpg

Not the best picture but us both set up in the cimarron and notice all the room in the middle and back for gear.

Hope this helps.