What's your shelter?

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Cimarron with Lite Outdoors 18” stove
Seems to be a trend here....

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru supertarp and SO cimarron either with a lite outdoors 12" stove, just different length pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I see a lot of people use seek outside shelters. Any of you had any durability issues?

I don’t personally have one of their shelters but Im pretty sure they use a 30 denier fabric which is plenty tough enough. I have their unaweep pack and it’s built very well

Hall256

WKR
I see a lot of people use seek outside shelters. Any of you had any durability issues?
Only have had mine a year, but I have not noticed any issues. So far I have it pitched in rain, snow, and winds (not really bad wind, it was only gusting in the high 20/low 30) with out issue.

My hunting partner is a die hard Kifaru guy, and is the actually the one who got me use to tipi/floorless shelters. He swore up and down that Kifaru 's fabric was stronger and in extreme weather the SO would not handle as well...now after seeing how mine is made, and handles the elements he has backed off the criticism (he still won't admit it is better than his Kifaru though...LOL).

Have you heard of durability issues and are concerned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've just read that kifaru uses a different fabric and theirs is much stronger. I received a sample of SO and Kifaru. They both feel the same but kifaru was stronger when I pulled it apart. Seems like SO has much more options. I don't really think one can go wrong with either.

I have used mine about 50 days- no issues.
Highest wind was 40 mph maybe more, in snow, rain. I tied all mu guy outs and it was as secure as I hoped.
\No leaks or signs of thread loosening.
You cant go wrong with one.
A loose pitch can become a problem, as can mold,mildew lack of seam sealing.
Using too short of a stove pipe can create issues, as can not using a baffle or spark arrestor.

I run quite a few different shelters, but the Sawtooth and MegaTarp have become my most used.
The Sawtooth I have had in every conceivable situation. Strong winds 70mph +, light rain, heavy rain, light snow, heavy snow, etc. It has proven itself.
The MegaTarp has proven itself up to 40 mph winds, and pretty much any other weather condition. The Sawtooth handles wind better in my experience. Not to mention it is nice to be able to stand up going into a shelter when the weather is bad.

Mt Al

WKR
Eureka Spitfire 1P. Not light compared to others, but low price, love how it works without the fly, decent vestibule with the fly.

Next up will be a TarpTent single person tent of some kind or another setup with hiking pole.

Hall256

WKR
Eureka Spitfire 1P. Not light compared to others, but low price, love how it works without the fly, decent vestibule with the fly.

Next up will be a TarpTent single person tent of some kind or another setup with hiking pole.
In the classifieds there is a guy selling a Tarptent Stratospire for a pretty good price. Speaking from personal experience, the Stratospire is awesome for a light weight option...far superior then running a bivy and tarp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
Cimarron with 18" Lite Outdoors stove. Perfect combo for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I didn’t have a stove but on one trip (car camping) my hunting partner brought a cot and there was still enough room. On a backpacking trip a different buddy packed way to much stuff and there was still room in the tent to not feel cramped.

c0e595a2e6bcf2b0e22321f3c4a5b7c0.jpg

My stuff solo the place is a palace.

d9ddd4f014de7c3976f755da3ecec31d.jpg

My buddies first backpack trip 4 miles in and he brought the kitchen sink.

15e15dd27c627dee36109b23598c6bd1.jpg

Not the best picture but us both set up in the cimarron and notice all the room in the middle and back for gear.

Hope this helps.

What did your buddy NOT bring on that trip? Holy smokes. That makes my back hurt just looking at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
SO Cimmaron with Medium SO Stove
SO DST Tarp
BA Copper Spur UL1

Different shelters for different situations. Most of my trips are solo.

The Cimarron goes with me most of the time, I just may or may not bring the stove. The room that it provides is sometimes worth it to me. I love this shelter- tons of versatility.

2018 will be my first year with the DST, but it will always be in my pack for emergency use or if I bivy out from the Cimarron for a night or two. I will use it as a primary shelter sometimes as well. I know I will like the utility/versatility of this tarp.

The BA Copper Spur UL 1 I have had the longest and it has served me well. I will continue to use it when it makes the most sense (bugs/rodents/above treeline).

I also have a Borah UL bevy that helps in certain situations. Love this thing.

Sooner or later I will end up with a tipi as well, probably an 8 man. For me the flexibility provided by different shelters is key.

Hunter6

WKR
What did your buddy NOT bring on that trip? Holy smokes. That makes my back hurt just looking at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When we got there as he was unpacking he brought out Tupperware with fresh plums. I laughed and made fun of him and then I ate a plum

Last edited:

KDK

FNG
For those using tarp shelters and tarp tents w/o a floor my question is this-

If the weather changes and it’s rained for awhile or snowed and then you setup what do you do for any kind of footprint? Or if it’s rained for a couple days and your hike in it’s pouring what do you do or take for use as a footprint.

I’ve been thinking hard about switching over to one rather a 3-4lb 1 guy tent w/fly. I’m looking for something my hunting partner and I can rack out in with bags. But here in MT the shift in weather at high elevations, naturally can change rapidly from rain to snow and back again.

Ideas?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a small section of polycro as a groundcloth- weighs maybe 1.5 oz and packs up the size of a pack of cigarettes; gossamer gear sells them, but it's the same stuff that they use to seal windows so you can source it at a hardware store if you want

I also always use a bivy w/ a tarp, the bivy has a waterproof bottom (breathable top)

92xj

WKR
Bearpaw cuben bivy under a 9x10 flat tarp or bivy inside a megatarp with 12"LO stove.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
A lightweight bivy sack with a waterproof bottom is always around my sleeping bag. I will usually have a small piece of Tyvek with me as well, which gets used for a ton of things.

KDK

FNG
Thanks for the ideas. I’ll check out the suggestions. I see Jimmy’s Tarps sells a fairly inexpensive bivy as well.

I just compare weight from my Kelty single tent to a silver tip and bivy and tyvek or similar and I can reduce space and weight. I’m thinking I’m going to swap...

Also anyone have experience with Jimmys Tarp Granite Mountain? I’m thinking for an emergency from weather (usually hammock with light rain fly tarp) it could accommodate.