What's your shelter?

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the ideas. I’ll check out the suggestions. I see Jimmy’s Tarps sells a fairly inexpensive bivy as well.

I just compare weight from my Kelty single tent to a silver tip and bivy and tyvek or similar and I can reduce space and weight. I’m thinking I’m going to swap...

Also anyone have experience with Jimmys Tarp Granite Mountain? I’m thinking for an emergency from weather (usually hammock with light rain fly tarp) it could accommodate.

You will definitely save weight from the gear that you describe plus add some versatility

ianpadron

WKR
A man with a Supertarp/Silvertip, Sawtooth/Cimarron, and 8/12 man Tipi has 3 shelters to fit every situation you'll ever encounter in the mountains.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
Anyone have any experience with the tarptent cloudburst 3?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
For those using tarp shelters and tarp tents w/o a floor my question is this-

If the weather changes and it’s rained for awhile or snowed and then you setup what do you do for any kind of footprint? Or if it’s rained for a couple days and your hike in it’s pouring what do you do or take for use as a footprint.

I’ve been thinking hard about switching over to one rather a 3-4lb 1 guy tent w/fly. I’m looking for something my hunting partner and I can rack out in with bags. But here in MT the shift in weather at high elevations, naturally can change rapidly from rain to snow and back again.

Ideas?

2 mil painters plastic (LDPE). It is durable and a 7'x3' section is like 2 ounces. I use it for meat in my kill kit and just throw them away after.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
A man with a Supertarp/Silvertip, Sawtooth/Cimarron, and 8/12 man Tipi has 3 shelters to fit every situation you'll ever encounter in the mountains.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

This is correct especially with a nest or liner option for each of the mentioned shelters... then EVERY situation would be covered for sure!

Me I just have my UL bivy that does that for me personally... additional tent guests would have to fend for themselves

UtahJimmy

WKR
Also anyone have experience with Jimmys Tarp Granite Mountain?

I ran the GM last season and really liked it. Takes some time to learn how to pitch it correctly, but ample space for how light it is. I really like using it when my pup comes with because he is free to come and go from the tarp in the middle of the night rather than just sitting inside growling at the wind.

I also run a Yama Cirraform for solo backcountry trips.

If I'm with a buddy, we'll usually split the weight on my Kelty Gunnison.

If car/base camp is on the menu, then the Kodiak 10x14 gets the nod.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a Silvertip, Kifaru Sheep Tarp, Hennessy Hammock, LO 12/18" stove, and a Borah Gear UL bivy. I've been thinking about adding either a SO DST, or a Kifaru Supertarp for early September archery. Or I might give the Sheep Tarp a go. I want something where I can pack up camp every morning, that weighs nothing, is able to use trekking poles for setup, and allows me to basically keep moving every day and to sleep among the animals if needed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I currently have a Silvertip, Kifaru Sheep Tarp, Hennessy Hammock, LO 12/18" stove, and a Borah Gear UL bivy. I've been thinking about adding either a SO DST, or a Kifaru Supertarp for early September archery. Or I might give the Sheep Tarp a go. I want something where I can pack up camp every morning, that weighs nothing, is able to use trekking poles for setup, and allows me to basically keep moving every day and to sleep among the animals if needed.
Why not get an LBO? You could take just the base for open ended use, or a base and vestibule... sets up with trekking poles, or sticks, or can suspend it. Pretty versatile

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

moeleo

WKR
Was using the MSR Hubba Hubba for everything and recently purchased a supertarp w/annex and 18” Cylinder Stove. Spent one night in the supertarp so far and am really looking forward to it in the high country. Also picked up a new OR Helium Bivy to try that out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
I just picked up a Bear Paw PyraTent 2 w/ stove jack a couple weeks ago. My wife and I set it up in the front yard. My wife said ‘no way’ with a floor less tent.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Black Diamond MegaLite - was quite a bit cheaper than other options as it was available in Canada. I use a Borah bivi inside. Works good other than the flapping in high winds.....

7MXk7qJ.jpg

snopro176

WKR
Nobody has mentioned Luxe Hiking gear. I love my minipeak, two zippered doors for a ton of ventilation. Not the lightest but not heavy and you can afford it. I ran a Jimmy tarp and borah bivy but I'd be pushed to say the extra weight of the luxe is worth the comfort.
63e6d0f364fb1c6e39b692d17dec0404.jpg
49344fd5ad5478d6e520b27a4f982459.jpg
687993873e353549c0ad23b8188cb849.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Mostly run a Cimarron with a Bear Paw nest, 10" bathtub floor. Pitched with the a few inches of clearance, the tall sides of the nest knocks off a lot of draft. Last time out, set up on pretty much a bog ,no condensation issue.
DST A framed if cooler and higher up without high bug traffic ain't bad either..

snopro176

WKR
Went to ripstopbytheroll.com and built this this weekend. 40" wide at the head 30" at the foot, 7' long and 22" tall @just 10.2oz pretty fun project. Wish I was more proficient at sewing though!
e4be0704152707c747f7332add4275c9.jpg
7e559eca4440719027099fb394279444.jpg
c3d20866e705ee2c1d56ec81fada7ebc.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
I am also a multi-tent person.

Primary: GoLite SL-5 with stove jack and TiGoat small cylinder stove. Very light hot tent setup. Has withstood some really hard winds for continuous days. Can get a bit western inside the tent if there is snow on the ground and you don't seal up the bottoms well. Woke up to a real life snow globe inside one night at 3 am. Fun. Downside is the footprint is big. Can add the nest if I need bug protection but it up's the weight.

Bivy: Big Agnes UL1. Super light. Can run just the fly if I want to really shave weight. Hate the front entry. Slighty more weight than a bivy with a ton more flexibility.