Long - 79”x25”
2.5” thick, 1lb 9oz, 4.2 r-value

Thermarest Neo Air X therm
Long - 77”x25”
2.5” thick, 1lb 4oz, 5.7 r-value

Big Agnes Q core SLX
Long Wide - 78”x25”
4.25” thick, 1lb 6oz, r-value unknown

I’d love to hear any experience you have had with any of these pads, especially if you have used more than one of these, which did you prefer? Particularly interested in noise, effort to inflate, ability to hold air, comfort and warmth. I’m a bigger guy- 6’2”, 200lbs.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m considering the following 3 options:

Sea to Summit comfort light
Long - 79”x25”
2.5” thick, 1lb 9oz, 4.2 r-value

Thermarest Neo Air X therm
Long - 77”x25”
2.5” thick, 1lb 4oz, 5.7 r-value

Big Agnes Q core SLX
Long Wide - 78”x25”
4.25” thick, 1lb 6oz, r-value unknown

I’d love to hear any experience you have had with any of these pads, especially if you have used more than one of these, which did you prefer? Particularly interested in noise, effort to inflate, ability to hold air, comfort and warmth. I’m a bigger guy- 6’2”, 200lbs.

Thanks in advance.

I haven’t used the Sea to Summit pad, but the x therm and x-Lite are widely regarded as setting the industry standard for warmth and comfort. They can be a little noisy, but the weight and comfort are worth the trade off IMO.

And be careful with those R values. There isn’t a governing body looking at how they are measured in sleeping pads, and while there is a standard measuring formula, those numbers come from the manufacturers. Thermarest in particular believes their R values are conservative, but because they are a selling point, I keep hearing from manufacturers that some companies inflate their R values to be competitive. Don’t know it’s true, but something to keep in mind.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used several different pads, sold them all except my two XTherms- warm, light, durable- tough to beat.

MSR is under the Cascade Designs umbrella and has one of the very best warranties and customer service; their products typically cost a little more, but in my experience the extra $ is worth it.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I have the thermorest and dont have any complaints. Cant say about the other two.
If you are worried about any R value or protecting the pad, buying an sol bivy to wrap it in can give you some extra insurance.
Heres an exampleIMG954182_2_1506693770510.jpg

HeadnWest

WKR
Don't leave out Nemo, The Nemo Tensor Insulated pad is the same weight as the x-therm, same packability, not as loud and about $50 cheaper.

OP
NMdoghunter
I’m open to consider the tensor, didn’t appear to have many positive reviews. Looks like a lot of durability issues.

HeadnWest

WKR
I’m open to consider the tensor, didn’t appear to have many positive reviews. Looks like a lot of durability issues.

I guess its how you treat it. I think if you have a floor in your shelter or use a ground sheet you will be just fine. I used mine this year on an 8 day hunt in Idaho. Worked out great.

BUT the Xtherm does have a thicker base - Xtherm- 70 D Tensor- 20 D

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
Those Klymits look interesting. R-value in that one isn't very high for what the OP was looking for, if I recall, but I'm curious how well folks sleep on them.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the klymit insulated static 5 lite. Going to use it on an aoudad hunt this next weekend. Specs seem good. We’ll see.

0133c8e6b632ebd8bd64a0f82ed00519.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nemo makes a tensor field version with a thicker base

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just used a Sea to Summit comfort light long and it was better than my klymit and neo air. Great pad

JigStick

WKR
I used my Qcore SLX here in western PA in 0* temps laying on top of snow and a piece of Tyvek. Inside a Redcliffe with stove. I swear I slept better than in my bed at home. Very warm pad, and comfortable to boot.

I had the winter lite for two years and had no problems until last November when one of the baffle walls collapsed and left me without a pad for 5 days.