Heated floorless shelters/rodent issues

Pack a chlorine tab (used in pools) and smash it in a ziplock to make a powder. Sprinkle it around the perimeter of your tent. A ring of tiny chunks around the camp helps keep mammals away. They hate the stuff. One whiff messes with em. I do this to protect my truck at the trailhead too.

You come back to chewed radiator hoses and belts just one time and you’ll take you’re damn truck apart at the trailhead and Pack it in with you if that’s what it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ironically the only rodent issue I have had while camping was in a floored Hilleberg. Bro and I got back to the strip whooped after a long cold night bivying out and just closed the vestibule but left the door open to try to mintage the condensation problems I have always had with Hillebergs.

Anyways about 2 hours after going to bed I felt something against my back in the bag and thought it was a spider so I rolled over trying to crush it.....bad idea....quickly realized it was fury and I sat straight up which some how flung the mouse to the middle of the tent.

I told my brother to "wake up there is a mouse in the tent" with the same sincerity and serious I would have done had there been a grizzly bear sniffing the edge of the tent. He realized the intensity and seriousness of the situation and flick the headlamp on immediately.

We were able to coral it and zip it in between the door fabric and the mesh of the door fabric and took some video about the whole ordeal and of our now trapped mouse before letting him go.....and zipping up the door. ;)

Has anyone ever had trouble with snakes? I'm considering a floorless shelter and wondering how well it would work in the dead of June and July and if any snakes would attempt to join me.

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
You guys NEED to see the movie "Cry Wolf" or maybe its "Never Cry Wolf" its based on a true story of a biologist studying Wolves in the artic it was done some time in the early 80s the movie that is. Some funny stuff in that movie concerning rodents in a tent.:D

jmden

WKR
Never Cry Wolf Movie Clip Mice2 - YouTube Funny scene!

But we know that his "research" on wolves in Never Cry Wolf was debunked. Farley Mowat - Wikipedia

Quote from above link: In a 1964 book review published in Canadian Field-Naturalist,[29] Frank Banfield of the National Museum of Canada, a former Canadian Wildlife Service scientist, compared Mowat's 1963 bestseller to Little Red Riding Hood, stating, "I hope that readers of Never Cry Wolf will realize that both stories have about the same factual content".[29] Mowat responded to Banfield's criticisms in a letter to the editor of the Canadian Field-Naturalist, and signed it "Mowat's wolf Uncle Albert".[30] L. David Mech, a wolf expert, is cited by Warner Shedd, a former regional executive of the World Wildlife Federation, as noting that no scientist, Mowat notwithstanding, has never encountered a wolf population that primarily subsists on small prey, as claimed in Mowat's book. Mech additionally states, "...Mowat is not a scientist, and his book, although presented as truth, is fiction."[31]

Beendare

WKR
I take a few of the plastic snap traps that weigh very little if I'll be camping in an area for a while and know they will be a problem from past trips. I'll put them around the camp if mice show up.

I saw rats and mice cause a $30,000 repair bill and endless headaches when they wrecked the wiring and fried electronics on a new high tech combine.

I take the traps with me too.....Had them on a hunt in Arizona about 3 years ago. After the two traps went off shortly after lights out....I had a 3 ring circus going on in my tent. I turned on my light at about 3 am and counted no less than 18 mice in there. They jumped up on a tote and chewed the crap out of my favorite sweated up merino shirt- destroyed....or sold for big money to a rapper....depending on how you look at it.
>>>------------>

I wonder if there is a market here for a large volume trap that will catch or dispatch a pile of these buggers quickly? I know I would buy it.