Stove to go with Cimarron

ID_Matt

WKR
OK I finally pulled the trigger on a SO Cimarron, now I need to get a stove to match it. I have read quite a few older threads but want to see if much has changed. I am looking for recommendations on a stove. I probably will not cook on it much so I am guessing a cylinder is a better choice for me? Weight, packabilty, and ease of use are the main things I am looking for. The kifaru smith cylinder and TI goat seem to catch my eye. What do you guys think?

Napperm4

WKR
I’m a fan of LiteOutdoors and would highly recommend their stoves. The updated design with the titanium rods / springs and bigger door are awesome

Hall256

WKR
Second the Lite Outdoors...that stove is great. If you get it, make sure you get the baffle with it...it worked pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also a fan of the Lite Outdoors stove. I have one in my Cimarron and its worked really well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
+4 for Lite Outdoors. Brennan is awesome to work with and the stove works great. I'm about to order some of the updated springloaded rods to simplify assembly. After that, it should be about perfect.

colersu22

WKR
What length pipe are you guys using with the Lite outdoors stove and Cimarron? I have a home made box stove but it is about twice as heavy as the lite outdoors stove so I have been looking at it for a replacement.

I went with the medium Titanium Goat WiFi and 6’ pipe. Actually just fired it up tonight for the first time. Roughly 30 degrees in MN tonight, and it had it an easy 150 degrees with the damper open and door off. I’d never do that under normal circumstances, but I was setting the stove pipe and body. The stove and chimney are shockingly light. Like 1/2 nalgene.

View attachment 64416View attachment 64417

Skeeter

FNG
I have stoves from Lite Outdoors and Seek Outside. I think they are both great products with great customer support. I will continue to use both depending on my setup. If I could only choose one, tough decision but it would probably be the flat top. Mainly because it doesn’t seem to warp/dent inward on top as bad. With cylinder stoves they seem to dent inward around the stove pipe entry after a little use. Has not caused a functional problem yet, just bugs me.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
What makes the lite outdoors better than the kifaru? 10 ounce difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For what you give up in weight my take was a larger door opening equating to a longer burn. You also have more refinement with no wires, wing nuts and ease of assembly with the springs added to the lite outdoor stove in securing the stove box to the ends.

Attachments

• BD95349C-6A3B-44F0-930E-44C7D3563ABB.jpg
    BD95349C-6A3B-44F0-930E-44C7D3563ABB.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 28B8F496-0F4A-4E20-8D78-EBC758CCF1C9.jpg
    28B8F496-0F4A-4E20-8D78-EBC758CCF1C9.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 177

svivian

WKR
Another vote for the lite outdoors 18" I run it with an 8ft pipe. I saw one in the classifieds for a good price.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
SO Medium stove for me. Durable, light enough, and it turns the Cimarron into a sauna if I want it to.

There are a few really good options for backpacking stoves nowadays.

Hall256

WKR
. Mainly because it doesn’t seem to warp/dent inward on top as bad. With cylinder stoves they seem to dent inward around the stove pipe entry after a little use. Has not caused a functional problem yet, just bugs me.

Some guy on you tube posted a video that made the inward dents to be much worse than I have ever seen them. This season I have been running my stove pretty damn hot and only have had some small dents form as you can see in the pic.

Skeeter, is that about the level of denying that you have?
e477a0ac1b23e085e1b6c4cd13cb219f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
you use an 8 foot pipe in a Cimmaron?

Yes because when I purchased the stove they didn't make spark arrestors and the added length allowed the embers to cool. So far I have had zero holes burned in my tent and wind has not been an issue.

AdamW

WKR
It's more dough but I'm super pleased with my TiGoat medium wifi in my Jimmy Tarps Hudson so far in my playing with it. It has good burn control and heats the shelter up nicely. The flat top is great for warming up some water with good stability.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I use the HPG shepherd stove very successfully in my Cimarron. Get's it blazing hot in there for sure and has decent burn time. They haven't been available for a long time but are easy to set up and use. I'd make sure you get something with a large enough door. My complaint with the TiGoat cylinder was the opening was too small. That was 5 years ago so I'm not sure if they changed it or not.

I use the HPG shepherd stove very successfully in my Cimarron. Get's it blazing hot in there for sure and has decent burn time. They haven't been available for a long time but are easy to set up and use. I'd make sure you get something with a large enough door. My complaint with the TiGoat cylinder was the opening was too small. That was 5 years ago so I'm not sure if they changed it or not.

It's a pretty small door, but you can fit a pretty good sized chunk of wood in there. For me, I wanted a flat top stove for cooking, but I didn't want the full box stove, so the WIFI was a really nice fit. It looks like the Lite Outdoors has a good sized door, and I like the baffle design.