Need Help With Floorless Decision

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently decided to go with a floorless tent for backpacking and am in the process of selling a prized bear trap to fund. Research has brought me to two choices the HMG Ultamid 4 or the SO Cimmaron hot tent set up. I like the idea of the hot tent but also love the weight saving of the Dymeema cuben fiber as I hunt solo mostly. HMG will not install a stove jack in the tent and does not recommend as hot tent due to low melting point. In fact their text sound like they don't even recommend cooking inside. I am seeking input on either pros and con and any experience of converting the HMG to a hot tent. Your input will be appreciated.

Hall256

WKR
It seems too often we get caught up on weight vice function of an item...im guilty of this a lot. For your tent dilemma I would strongly consider the little bit of extra weight for the increase flexibility if running a hit tent when needed.

If I had to make the choice, the weight penalty is nothing compared to the comfort of a hot tent on a December (or any other cold month, or any time rain has me soaked, or any other time i have to hang out in the tipi) hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Being solo I’d go with the stove. It makes the hike out during a storm vs the sit in a tent playing with the mini tv choice an easy one. I’m solo a lot
and consider the stove a two pound hiking buddy. Hard to describe just how great a stove can be for mental health when solo during a storm.

OP

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I guess you are all correct about the weight difference. Heck, I can move that much in body weight with one day dining at family affairs. I will call Ruta Locura about the stove in a cuben fiber tent. I'm still curious about that and would still like to hear from anybody that has tried it. Thanks again

mae1993

FNG
You could cut your weight in half and be able to put the stove between you with many of the other lighter tents out there but you do give up a little head height. I have two Go-Lites and a SO cimmaron with stove and i love it when i do want the stove.