Therm A Rest NeoAir Xtherm questions

handwerk

WKR
It seems for many folks this is the best backcountry pad out there. My question is for those of you that have used this pad, do you agree? and is it worth it for the added weight/cost to go with the long and/or max sized pad?

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It seems for many folks this is the best backcountry pad out there. My question is for those of you that have used this pad, do you agree? and is it worth it for the added weight/cost to go with the long and/or max sized pad?

I’m 6’2” and I use the regular size. My feet hang off the end slightly but it isn’t a big deal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnhmr

FNG
The pad is definitely a solid size and provides ample warmth (r-value).

I absolutely detest blowing it up - would look to something that has a pump with it. If you do not mind spending 5-10 mins expelling your lungs, have at er'.

There are alternatives with the Sea to Summit pads.

Owenst7

WKR
I'm 5'10" and can sleep fine on a 20" mat. I havent found my reg size xtherm or xlite to be too small.

The xtherm comes with a pump sack that's big enough to keep my 0° bag in. It works well, but I never bother to use it. I just blow it up with my lungs. Only takes me a minute or two.

I think they're about average on comfort, although they are very warm. I personally think my Klymit pad is a bit more comfortable but I use the xtherm/xlite when I need the insulation and/or weight savings.

If I could only have one pad for four seasons, it'd be a standard xtherm, or an insulated klymit if I were on a budget.

mrgreen

WKR
The pad is definitely a solid size and provides ample warmth (r-value).

I absolutely detest blowing it up - would look to something that has a pump with it. If you do not mind spending 5-10 mins expelling your lungs, have at er'.

I just did some quick Googling and found the Canadian shop MEC is showing a SV Xtherm Max available for pre-order.

Would that help?

I have the max and I like it. It does take a while to inflate it but being able to pack it down to the size of a Nalgene comes with a cost.

It is very comfortable and as warm of a pad as you could want. It's on the slick side so you need to find a flat spot or you'll slide off.

I have the Large Max and its been my favorite pad yet. The extra length, width, and the square shape versus the rounded tapered ends make it hard to roll off of and roomy for sleeping on a pad. I wouldn't get the smaller ones if I had to do it again.

mrgreen

WKR
Do you guys think the Speed Valve will be an improvement, or 'no big deal' ?

Love my large wide mummy shaped Xtherm. Been the best pad I’ve used yet. Will happily buy another if this one craps out on me.

mrgreen

WKR
re; my question 'Speed Valve Yea or Nay?' (paraphrased)

I wouldn't want it, personally. Just an additional failure point and probably some added weight.

Upon further review: Thermarest states on their blog "Ounce counters and minimalists might grimace when they see the 4-7 oz of added weight from the SpeedValve."

AND as a bonus it's considerably more expensive. Oh, with a documented tendency to leak.

Please remember this is just regarding the SV (Speed Valve) version that looks to be coming soon.

My answer to the OP is that the Xtherm has earned it's great reputation, as far as the size and Max question, I have used and been happy with the large mummy shape for a while, but I move so much my feet slide off the pad frequently so I just bought the Large Max version.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Large max for me and worth the extra weight. I need room to roll from side to side all night. I’m a shitty sleeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Large Max for me too. I toss and roll a lot so I struggle to stay on a a regular. The pump sack sack that came with it is weightless, adequate to blow it up quickly, and doubled as a pillow with my puffy in at night. I like the R-Value but detest how loud it is. My BIL and I ran the Large Max's this season and if mine wasn't crinkling -his was- and it kept me awake. Other than that, I put a little seam sealer on the top in spots so I wasn't sliding off it in the middle of the night with my slick bag and it's near perfect now.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Large Max for me too. I toss and roll a lot so I struggle to stay on a a regular. The pump sack sack that came with it is weightless, adequate to blow it up quickly, and doubled as a pillow with my puffy in at night. I like the R-Value but detest how loud it is. My BIL and I ran the Large Max's this season and if mine wasn't crinkling -his was- and it kept me awake. Other than that, I put a little seam sealer on the top in spots so I wasn't sliding off it in the middle of the night with my slick bag and it's near perfect now.

Seam sealer is a pretty good idea, i like that.

I added seam sealer around the valve seam as preventative abrasion resistance.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Large max here too. If I was to do it again I might go with the large mummy version to save a couple ounces, but it's semantics at this point. I keep looking around to try and find a pad that would save me 7-8 ounces, but I think the Xtherms are just the best featured pads for the weight. Definitley worth getting the large for the width moreso than the length.

FURMAN

WKR
I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm and a Exped Synmat HL MW. I prefer the Exped because it is wider but weighs the same. This comes with the penalty of less R-value. I toss and turn in my sleep and I fall off the narrower pad. I use a quilt and the wider pad does allow more drafts but so far it has not bothered me. I tried the super light and short pads but they are just too uncomfortable for me.