Experience from this year and warmer pad options

fishslap

WKR
This was my first year out of the wall tent (Colorado). I ran a seek outside 4 man tipi and a Big Agnes Q-Core SLX (regular wide). For muzzleloader elk I used an older REI Mojave 15 deg down bag. It was fairly warm anyway so I never got cold. For 4th rifle deer, I used a new feathered friends snow bunting 0 deg down bag. I don't think it got that cold, maybe low 20s. I stayed fairly warm but one night I had some cold spots on my hip/back that woke me up periodically. I'm thinking I definitely need a warmer pad for late season hunts. No complaints on the q-core otherwise. What are your thoughts? I'm currently looking at the Exped Downmat HL winter and the Therm-a-rest xtherm, with leanings toward the exped wide.

Current:
Big Agnes Q-Core SLX - 72" X 25" X 4.25" - 20 oz - B.A. rates it 15deg with no R value, I did see 4.5 R value elsewhere online

Late Season Options:
Exped Downmat HL Winter medium wide - 72" X 25.6" X 3.5" - 21.9oz - R value of 7. Medium regular is 16.9 oz if I sacrifice the width. I'd love to save the weight but I'm reluctant to go to a 20" width after using the 25" wide Q-core. I don't see any reason to consider any of the other exped mats but let me know if I'm missing something.

Therm-a-rest NeoAir XTherm - 72" X 20" X 2.5" - 15 oz - R value of 5.7. Weight savings is great. Everyone says this pad is very warm but specs show not as big of an R value increase as the exped. Only available in regular width at 72" length. Not as thick. I don't really see the point of going with the xtherm max. I wish they made a wide in regular length.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
with a Snowbunting you definitely shouldn't being having issues with 20 degrees- I run an Xtherm w/ a thin ccf pad underneath and I'm good to 0-ish with a similar bag (FF Lark with 3 oz of overfill)

no experience with Exped

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have direct experience with those two pads in particular, but I have had great results with my exped downmat (different model). It is heavier than my last pad (Exped synmat) but I have never regretted bringing it even in the summer months. I was getting cold using a zero degree synthetic bag and the synmat at around 30 degrees and was miserable when it went down to 20 degrees or lower. The downmat I have taken down to 0 degrees and been toasty (using a 0 degree down bag). Also, the 25" wide pad I like way better than the 20". No more arms falling off the sides of the mat! I vote for the Exped.

rayporter

WKR
if your cold your cold. no matter the r rating. I have found a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch closed cell foam on top will save the day. it also has other uses like a sit pad for glassing or a kneel pad to cook. 45 to 50 inches long will do the job.

you have to search for the stuff at construction sites and when you see cable being laid to get it. free

or cut up a store bought pad.

I bought an insulated, wide double z this year and had my best season of sleep. It's not an ultralight pad and I had to return one that leaked, otherwise it's been great.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Thanks guys. One option is to leave my 2 oz thermarest z seat behind and buy the short z-lite pad at 10 oz so I can use it on (or under?) my q-core

Similar experience with a BA insulated air core. Switched to the Xtherm and haven’t looked back. I’ll always have a 25” Wide pad. 20” is just to narrow for me.

I can't attest to either of those, but I can endorse the schnozzle bag for airing up Expeds. Damn thing isn't cheap, bu it will keep moisture out of your pad; especially important for the down versions, and fills your pad very quick. I hate giving my pad mouth to mouth every night. It can also serve duty as a dry sack for your bag/quilt.

Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag - REI.com

Owenst7

WKR
My experience is that I'm pretty comfortable with R 1 down to about 40F, then about R4 down to about 10-15. I used to stack a ridgerest under an uninsulated air pad to get to R4 and that worked well. The CCF is really nice when you're sitting and glassing for hours without getting up.

I picked up an XTherm this season and have been very happy with it. Haven't had it colder than about 20F since it's been pretty warm, but I've been sleeping so warm on it that I'm waking up hot and unzipping my bag. I would not hesitate to use a pad of R5-6 down to 0F.

Im not comfortable trusting Exped pads due to all the reviews I read of the baffles blowing out. Regardless of warranty, having an unusable pad when I'm a day from my truck makes me unomfortable. I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't have issues, but it made me nervous enough to just stick with TAR and their great reputation.

The XTherm won't get damaged from inflating with your breath either which is nice. It comes with a pump sack that works well, and I keep my bag in it to protect it from mice/zippers/water. They are crinkley, but it doesn't bother me. You can always try one at REI and see if you like it, or a Xlite if they only have that on display. I have both and they are the same dimensions/noise. I really like the XLite for 3 seasons for that matter.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
When the temps drop, especially if the ground is freezing, put a closed cell foam under your mat at night. It will reflect the cold back down and the heat your body and mat produce back up. Should be good to go!

Lawnboi

WKR
Closed cell foam under. Makes a backup if your inflatable leaks too, as well as something nice to sit on.

I move around a lot and had problems with the Ba q core sl, any move,it caused cold spots. Neoair fixed that.

Anyone tried reflectix insulation under? I have a thermarest ridge rest I can use under but looking for a potentially less bulky and lower weight way to add R value to my pad.

Owenst7

WKR
Anyone tried reflectix insulation under? I have a thermarest ridge rest I can use under but looking for a potentially less bulky and lower weight way to add R value to my pad.

I don't recall the R value it offers from my IR cert course, but I remember doing the math and it was a lower Rvalue/weight ratio than the ridgerest Sol. You can buy thinner sheets of CCF if you just want a little help.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
What’s a good thin closed cell foam pad to add to the xtherm or my q core? Or a good source of foam for a diy solution? Now I’m thinking of the regular xtherm with a slightly wider ccf pad under it

Ronb

WKR
I inflate my xlite just enough so that my butt is barely off the ground. The first year I froze. Now I slide my zpad under my butt and now I’m good. I don’t think you need to have a full size extra pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s a good thin closed cell foam pad to add to the xtherm or my q core? Or a good source of foam for a diy solution? Now I’m thinking of the regular xtherm with a slightly wider ccf pad under it

even you want something lighter than the z-rest, check out gossamer gear- they have several different thickness pads