New Kifaru Back Country Bodybag and quilt

Dobermann

WKR
In the lastest Kifarucast, 'Not sure we should talk about this' (Jan 12), Aron and Frank discuss the new Kifaru Back Country Bodybag and quilt: Not Sure We Should Talk About This - Kifaru International

They also talk about using a simple Rab lightweight bivvy (model not specified) or Outdoor Research Helium bivy, so it will be interesting to see what the difference is between these and the Bodybag ...

Tartan

WKR
Interested to see what the body bag is all about. I’m picturing a Woobie with a full length zipper and drawstring in one end. It could be your glassing blanket. Or tied in with a bivy it’s like 90% of a sleeping bag.

Hopefully we find out soon. Seems to be adding up to an awesome year of new product releases from a lot of companies.

gabenzeke

WKR
I got the feeling it's like the EE quilt that has a full length zipper, but who knows. I'm curious to see how light the quilt will be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Body bag is the zippered woobie as I understand it. Not a bivy of any sorts.

LJ, thanks for clarifying ... I went and re-listened, and that would make more sense. Was trying to do something else the first go-round! Cheers.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
They might be talking about the rab ultra bivy

Hmm ... the Ultra isn't showing on Rab's site, and is showing as 'discontinued' on a couple of retailer pages ... will be interesting to see if Aron was meaning something as minimalist as this (seeing on as a podcast a while back, I think he said something about not needing to merely 'protect' the Slick Bag, as it's so strong as it is. And if the other bivy mentioned was the OR Helium, then the equivalent would be the Rab Ridge Raider, which he has run in the past: Ridge Raider | Rab(R) Europe

amp713

WKR
Anyone get any spoilers yet?? I still am curious about the body bag...

amp713

WKR
Ya I've caught all the podcasts just was hoping someone here would have a little more info ha

sveltri

WKR
The bivy that they talked about running this year is the Big Agnes three wire. I emailed Frank a couple weeks ago about the quilt and his response was it would be released in a month or so, I think it’s going to be bigger than most of the quilts available now.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
On the second Kifarucast with South Cox, they mentioned it will also have an insulated footbox.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
The bivy that they talked about running this year is the Big Agnes three wire.

Are you sure about that? Aron says on the recent South Cox podcast that the Three Wire 'was' one of the best bivies he's run, but it's 1 pound, 12 ounces (and the current listing says full packed weight is 1 pound, 14 ounces: Three Wire Bivy). However, I thought in that podcast he said that this year, they're going to run an ultralight bivy that's only one pound ... maybe they're going to run both?

As for other bivy options, I know in the past, Aron has recommended the Rab Ridge Master (not Ridge Raider). This one was made of eVent. A similar design, also in eVent, for those who haven't seen it, is the Macpac Bush Cocoon: Bush Cocoon 1 Person Bivvy Hiking Tent | Macpac NZ

Macpac routinely have 40% off sales if you sign up for their email newsletter; it's currently down from NZD$500 to $300.

Rab doesn’t have the Ridge Master OR the Survival Zone Lite that I was really interested in at 8oz! Bummer. They do have the Raider and their regular Survival Zone bivy is still only 15.5 ounces. Maybe that’s the one Aron was talking about?

The Bush Cocoon comes in at 34.2 ounces! That’s a pig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
Are you sure about that? Aron says on the recent South Cox podcast that the Three Wire 'was' one of the best bivies he's run, but it's 1 pound, 12 ounces (and the current listing says full packed weight is 1 pound, 14 ounces: Three Wire Bivy). However, I thought in that podcast he said that this year, they're going to run an ultralight bivy that's only one pound ... maybe they're going to run both?

As for other bivy options, I know in the past, Aron has recommended the Rab Ridge Master (not Ridge Raider). This one was made of eVent. A similar design, also in eVent, for those who haven't seen it, is the Macpac Bush Cocoon: Bush Cocoon 1 Person Bivvy Hiking Tent | Macpac NZ

Macpac routinely have 40% off sales if you sign up for their email newsletter; it's currently down from NZD$500 to $300.

Yes, that’s what he said. I think it has been slightly redesigned.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Rab doesn’t have the Ridge Master OR the Survival Zone Lite that I was really interested in at 8oz! Bummer. They do have the Raider and their regular Survival Zone bivy is still only 15.5 ounces. Maybe that’s the one Aron was talking about?

The Bush Cocoon comes in at 34.2 ounces! That’s a pig!!

There's a Survival Zone Lite currently listed on Amazon: Amazon.com : Rab Survival Zone Lite Bivi (Orange) : Bivy Sacks : Sports & Outdoors

The regular Survival Zone is 70d vs the Lite's 30d; while it's a little heavier, that's the one I went for as an emergency bivy.

As for bivy/tents, the Macpac Bush Cocoon at 34 oz is less than the Rab Ridge Master, at 41 oz, yet it's a pretty similar design. Given both are eVent, I think the Bush Cocoon is a good option unless/until the Ridge Master makes it back into production ...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hmm ... the Ultra isn't showing on Rab's site, and is showing as 'discontinued' on a couple of retailer pages ... will be interesting to see if Aron was meaning something as minimalist as this (seeing on as a podcast a while back, I think he said something about not needing to merely 'protect' the Slick Bag, as it's so strong as it is. And if the other bivy mentioned was the OR Helium, then the equivalent would be the Rab Ridge Raider, which he has run in the past: Ridge Raider | Rab(R) Europe
He preferred the Ridge Master I believe, says the Ridge Raider isn't the same

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone know any more about a “Slick Quilt”? I’m thinking about ordering an EE Apex filled quilt for when I go places that make me just nervous enough about my DownTek filled one.