Anyone ever ditch the stove?

So, I recently started using a megatarp and stove. And I am not in love with it yet. Granted, so far this winter has been warm, usually plus or minus a few degrees freezing. And in these conditions, I find myself working much harder to have the stove experience than is worth it. I want to give this a real go before giving up on it, but I am curious if any one out there (and I assume not many, if any) have found it easier/less hassle to just use a 4 season tent? Up to say, 5 days? I have done a couple 3 nighters... Maybe for so short a time the advantages dont shine through. Thoughts?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Stoves are just like 100% of the rest of my gear- you don't need it until you do, then you're glad you brought it.
There are times I bring it, but never used it, like my first aid kit.

I really liked my MegaTarp stove combo and it saved our bacon when caught on the Mtn in a snow storm. However....it got real old real fast crawling in and out of the Mega. Especially with the stove and wood inside. Came home, sold the Mega and bought a Tut and haven’t looked back. Yes, it weighs a pound or so more but the ease of set up, usable size and space, and being able to walk into and out of the shelter has me absolutely loving the Tut compared to the Mega and I can’t see ever leaving the stove at the truck.

Like Mike said, you don’t need it til you need it..... Maybe changing heated shelter set ups will change your usage and mindset about it.

OP
S
Yeah... Good point. Honestly, crawling in/out of a tent doesnt bother me, but on the megatarp with that pole right in the middle.... I have NOT had this long and it is old.

As for the stove, I barely shopped around because I just assumed I would love the kifaru stove... It goes together all right, but I would prefer no wires. And honestly, the thing burns so quick, needs sooooo much wood to keep feeding it, it feels like more hassle... But you have a great point as far as when its REALLY cold, or say, I fall in a lake (has happened more than once) it could be vital.

I tried the TiGoat Stove then the Lite Outdoors Stove and finally settled on the Smith Cylinder Stove as my go to heated shelter set up.

TiGoat was so so. Really liked the LO Stove and it’s giant front door is awesome til you start burning shitty wet wood. Then it starts popping and spitting embers out the giant door. Stove was so tight it would starve for air when the door was shut and rattled pretty bad until I opened it up. Leaving the door open to keep it quiet left me (specifically my Xtherm and Slick Bag) open to embers flying out.

Swapping to the Smith stove saved me almost a pound and I haven’t had any issues with the air starving problem. At about the same price and significant weight savings I firmly believe the Smith Cylinder is the best option for me when I want to have a heated shelter. YMMV

OP
S
Did anyone ever find it easier to run a 4 season tent?

Lawnboi

WKR
The stove really compliments a bigger shelter much more so than a smaller one.

Though I don't have a megatarp, iv used stoves in a few smaller tarps, and the old paratipi, in those smaller shelters they were more fuss than they were worth imo.

If a stove is in order I want cimmaron size at a minimum.

OP
S
The stove really compliments a bigger shelter much more so than a smaller one.

Though I don't have a megatarp, iv used stoves in a few smaller tarps, and the old paratipi, in those smaller shelters they were more fuss than they were worth imo.

If a stove is in order I want cimmaron size at a minimum.
Interesting, appreciate the input!

What I like about the LO stove is the baffle option. It does add burn time to the stove while also keeping Tipi and woods safer.
Slows stuff down when that things is packed and dampeners adjusted properly.
The bigger door is really an asset for me- opens my options of wood choice.

the other 2 mentioned Ti Goat and Kifaru- I feel are as equally good. You cant go wrong with any of these mentioned options.

PennDude

FNG
I've never used a stove in a tent. How much warmer do these stoves keep the inside of the tent? Let's say it's 0 degrees out with a 10mph wind.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never used a stove in a tent. How much warmer do these stoves keep the inside of the tent? Let's say it's 0 degrees out with a 10mph wind.
Easily take it to sweat lodge level inside the tent until the fire dies down. The stoves talked about have a short burn times so can be used to dry things out and to warm up but won't burn all night so your still relaying on your bag to keep you warm while sleeping or waking up every hour to load the stove with wood

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a SO Redcliff w/ xl stove this year and won't switch back . Used it in early season when it snowed 18" in the Cascades . We returned very late one night cold and wet and the temp was around 20 degrees . Without it in a stoveless tent would have been a cold miserable night . After getting the stove going it was about 80 degrees inside the tent . Sure you have to feed the beast but by morning clothes and boots were dry and ready to go . Now its as essential as good boots and optics . Just my .02 cents

OP
S
So for guys that run a 4 season tent instead, are they just miserable? I really should try this thing for a longer trip and in a stand up shelter..... Dammit, should have bought once, cried once!

rayporter

WKR
I have several tents, including a 4 season, but it has been a while since the 4 season has been out. the deciding factor for me to switch to a tipi was in a snow storm. after several days and much water from snow on floor I punched a hole in the floor to drain the water from the bath tub floor.

I have carried the stove and not used it, too.

a stove is like every thing else, and it does not fit every person or every situation.

So for guys that run a 4 season tent instead, are they just miserable? I really should try this thing for a longer trip and in a stand up shelter..... Dammit, should have bought once, cried once!

It depends on what you want to do in the evening. I find that in the winter, I can't sleep from sundown to sunup, even in the latitudes of New Mexico, so having a stove allows me to be comfortable out of my bag and read or whatever. If you're comfortable in a shelter wearing a lot of cold weather clothes, then skip the stove. I prefer to be able to hang out comfortably despite the extra effort it takes to set up the stove and gather/cut wood, and the dirty hands that go along with setting up a stove. I don't take any fewer clothes with me when I take a stove, but it makes me a lot more comfortable in the evenings.