If you are in the market for a lightweight tarp....

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you want the tarp manufacturer to provide stakes? If so what brand do you prefer?

Or

Would you prefer to purchase them separately in order to match the stakes to the expected conditions?

I'm curious to hear some thoughts.

mrgreen

WKR
I've got so many good stakes already, I would be happy if the Tarp maker left them out.

Nice if they provide them, for those that want them. I have my own, so I would skip that option. I bought 2 packs of hilleberg stakes, cuz that's what was at the store. Seems like many like the msr stakes. I think some cottage manufacturers are making really light ones, cant remember the brand...

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

MIKEYB

WKR
I would like to see options, Tarp only, with stakes and possibly choices of light weight or robust stakes. That way the guys with stakes can get the tarp only. I prefer to not have to grab stakes and have each tent or tarp with its own stakes to eliminate me forgetting them at home. Just grab and go.

AdamW

WKR
Not included by default for the reasons mentioned above. As an "Add stakes?" pull-down menu option, yes. Maybe MSR Groundhogs and a Titanium option. Adds overhead cost for the maker though trying to compete with Amazon or the big guys.

Stakes no.

But what I would love to have on my tarp are the little loops about 2ft up the side so you can stake those and thus straighten out the side wall.

I'd prefer the option to come with, but most guys are specific about what they want. If you don't have the kind they want, then it would be best to have the option not to have them included.

I like options. I’d like to choose whether OR NOT my tarp comes with stakes. If there’s a discount on some stakes because it’s a bundle, that’s great - if you need stakes; but if you already own stakes, most folks are going to want to save the money by leaving stakes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My thoughts are; if the stakes are quality it would be nice to have them included or have an option to order. If they are just generic chunks of aluminum, I'd rather order them separately and get a quality stake. Either way, I want a set specific for the shelter so I'm not always borrowing them from other shelters.

Lawnboi

WKR
If they are included I'd hope they would be quality. Msr groundhogs seem to be a go to.

Last tipi I got came with some vargo aluminum deals, groundhog knock offs. Now iv used a lot of groundhogs, in the same exact spot. First time out with the vargo stakes I bent half of them. That kind of ticked me off, seeing as the tipi came with 15 or so of them.

I definitely don’t mind seeing tarp manufacturers offering stakes as an option when purchasing a tarp (like what MLD’s does), but I feel like it should be just that “optional”, as I prefer to purchase the stakes that I feel will best suit my needs/conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk