Lite Outdoors stove in SO Redcliff?

I got a LO 18” with the 5’ pipe for my super tarp. I was going to get the smith cylinder stove but didn’t like all the wires. The LO stove is a cleaner set up in my opinion. Granted I’ve never had my hands on the smith stove. I haven’t used it yet in the super tarp but I’ll be using it this weekend for the first time.

Let us know how it does.
I take it youre hunting ?
I'll be down the S West part of the State next week finishing up my muley hunt for Jan.
I am hoping to get a couple days of hunting between the work schedule.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
For me hunting from Aug to Oct, this stove is ideal. At 18" long it handles all I need. This stove will cook you out quickly.
If I were to do a 4 season hunt, I would opt for a wall tent and a real stove that burns longer.
I don't know of any Back packing titanium type stove that has great 4-6 hr burn time.

I have seen over 2.5 hr burn time on average wood with my baffle and some big diameter cut offs.
I am usually nestled deep in the bag by the time it goes out. It drafts quickly on restart too and that is a key for me- I hate a smokey tent.

I am totally happy with the 18" and Redcliffe combo. I have no need of a square body stove, yet this stove uses steel rods running full length and you can put a pot on it and it stays perfectly balanced - no issues.

Mflood3800 -

Just trying to clarify that you’re using the LO 18” x 8.25” diameter and not the XL version that’s also a 18” canister stove but is 10.5” in diameter? Same stoves with slightly different diameter.

I definitely am getting one of the 18” LO cylinder stoves. I’m just trying to decide which of the two diameters to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know how it does.
I take it youre hunting ?
I'll be down the S West part of the State next week finishing up my muley hunt for Jan.
I am hoping to get a couple days of hunting between the work schedule.
yeah I’ll be hunting then next couple weeks tell the end of the season. I’ll snap some pictures and post them up. Good luck to you!

sveltri

WKR
Here's a couple pics of an LO 18" XL setup in my Redcliff. The pipe is excessively long as it was originally used in a 12 man.

voFIBpI.jpg

XDfSI8a.jpg

8YRTUed.jpg

Brushy
Mine is not the XL
That one was one I looked at but felt it over kill for my needs and more heavy that desired.
Honestly for me it was about the length. It is easier finding 18" branches than 12".
I emailed them and asked if they had 20" titanium sheet, as I wanted to go longer while keeping the same end plates (Diameter).

I would rather have stove length than diameter for choice of branches available
But I haven't needed to stock this up yet and try to get a 4 hr burn.
About 2-2.5 hrs is what I have seen. And that isn't a roaring burn, but one that omits noticeable heat.

There is no reason NOT to go with the XL.
But for 2" it is almost a pound heavier, $50 more

20170308_160932.jpg

Here is my 18" regular. You can see Couse pics above mine- he has the XL. It is only $50 and a lb more , without the use of the baffle, if you go that option there would be a bit more weight penalty for sure.

But in Coues pics you can see they take up the same amount of space, but he has more diameter for more wood.
Just depends if that extra pound and $50 is not a big issue for you.

It was for me just cause I got the tipi and stove and sleeping bag in same time frame, and I was noticing every oz.

I am fully happy with the Std. But you may be fine with the additional pound with the XL.
It may yield a longer burn time, you would think so, but it may burn up and not be noticeable.

Again for me the length I what I am looking at right now. Adding 2" to the length of the body is lighter than 2" to the width and opens up options for gather scraps of wood. I have busted some branches and they were just too long, wished I had a longer stove not bigger.

Maybe that 10" XL in a 20" would be ideal for many.

So sorry for all these post but as I think about why I went with the choice I did I get more pieces of data coming back

I believe I looked at the end plates of the xl and the standard and the door opening itself as it was the same size and same material although the stove was bigger diameter the door entry was the same and I didn't know that I could capture the advantage of that 2" with twisted and bent branches going in the same opening if that makes any sense

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
BrushyHillGuide
So sorry for all these post but as I think about why I went with the choice I did I get more pieces of data coming back

I believe I looked at the end plates of the xl and the standard and the door opening itself as it was the same size and same material although the stove was bigger diameter the door entry was the same and I didn't know that I could capture the advantage of that 2" with twisted and bent branches going in the same opening if that makes any sense

Heck yeah that makes sense! I appreciate ALL the info! I’ll fret a lot over a decision like this; so, the info is really helpful. I really think I’m probably going to go the regular 18” size but I’m going to try and call them and ask first.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Man, Brennan over at LO is awesome! Talk “a-boot” 1st class customer service! Lol! We chatted on the phone for a while about options. He was even willing to make me a custom regular 18” with a 3” chimney- for just a few dollars extra to cover the extra material. SO already cut the stove jack (which kinda bummed me out) so it’s coming with a 3” hole. Brennan’s suggestion was that I go with the 2.5” chimney (to keep weight down) and he’s sending me some free material to sew onto the stove jack to close the hole up to 2.5”! He also built my stove today and it’s going into the mail in the morning! How’s that for a lead time?! Lol! I caught him on a day he was building stoves anyway. Really glad I chose LO for a lightweight stove and I can’t wait to set it up.

Yep Brenden is a great guy.
He treats each person like you are the only customer.

I wouldn't worry about the stove jack hole in the SO tipi. They aren't cut in a circle. They are just slit in an X fashion and work with multiple dia pipes. I was in heavy wind, rain and snow, and didn't see a drop.

But great that you have what you wanted. LO is super.
I did add an extra rod to hold my end caps. They come with 3 (2 on top and one on bottom). But I wanted a tighter seal so called Brenden and explained my idea and he sent me a rod for free. Now I have 2 on top and 2 on bottom- super snug fit.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Yep Brenden is a great guy.
He treats each person like you are the only customer.

I wouldn't worry about the stove jack hole in the SO tipi. They aren't cut in a circle. They are just slit in an X fashion and work with multiple dia pipes. I was in heavy wind, rain and snow, and didn't see a drop.

But great that you have what you wanted. LO is super.
I did add an extra rod to hold my end caps. They come with 3 (2 on top and one on bottom). But I wanted a tighter seal so called Brenden and explained my idea and he sent me a rod for free. Now I have 2 on top and 2 on bottom- super snug fit.

That’s a slick idea. I might call Brennan and get one sent as well. If my Redcliff arrives Witt that x cut hole, I’ll try running it that way, as you suggested. Brennan was worried about the pipe not being stable enough with .75” of slop. I don’t know why SO would cut the stove jack without asking what size the customer wanted; OR cutting it to the smallest stove pipe dimension so that the customer could, then, open it up if needed. Love Seek but that seems a little short-sighted.

msummer88

FNG
Awesome thread here.

I've be racking my brain the last few months about what set up I want. I'm going with the SO Redcliff for 2 to 3 man hunts and Silvertip for my solo trips. Going to run the LO 18" stove. I was thinking I was going to do Kifaru's Smith Cylinder Stove but I question the wire type of set up to hold it together. Seems like the LO has a pretty sweet little set up.

Getting excited!

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Awesome thread here.

I've be racking my brain the last few months about what set up I want. I'm going with the SO Redcliff for 2 to 3 man hunts and Silvertip for my solo trips. Going to run the LO 18" stove. I was thinking I was going to do Kifaru's Smith Cylinder Stove but I question the wire type of set up to hold it together. Seems like the LO has a pretty sweet little set up.

Getting excited!

I hear ya. I’m a big Kifaru fan and I’m sure it’s a great stove. Just seemed like the LO was a little bettER. I really like the door and I really like the vent holes - the way they’re made makes me think less embers can escape, especially with sap filled wood. That means less risk of holes in sleep gear and even less fire risk. Also, the ability to run a baffle is pretty cool. Can’t wait to get the tipi and stove! Early next week, I think! General whitetail season ends Sunday evening and all I need to kill is 6 more does during the extended doe & spike season. So, I’m about to have plenty of free time, finally, to play!

OP
BrushyHillGuide
How do I find your Instagram page? I’m technologically challenged when it comes to social media.

I hear ya. I’m a big Kifaru fan and I’m sure it’s a great stove. Just seemed like the LO was a little bettER. I really like the door and I really like the vent holes - the way they’re made makes me think less embers can escape, especially with sap filled wood. That means less risk of holes in sleep gear and even less fire risk. Also, the ability to run a baffle is pretty cool. Can’t wait to get the tipi and stove! Early next week, I think! General whitetail season ends Sunday evening and all I need to kill is 6 more does during the extended doe & spike season. So, I’m about to have plenty of free time, finally, to play!
Welcome to the cool kids club
Lol
Take pics for us
Love this set up
Hard to be beat
I love common back to my Tipi in the middle of bear lion Coyote Country and having a huge tipi, I feel more safe than under just a tarp but hey I'm a wimp