Shelters similar to a supertarp

Lawnboi

WKR
I really like the Kifaru tarp shape. I have a paratarp I'll never get rid of. It's my go to run and gun shelter. I think I'd make it with a flat tarp, but the shaped tarp is great when pinned down tight for protection, and easy to setup higher. Very versatile, with minimal thinking involved.

No super for me, cause when I'm on the move I want something small, where I'm not looking all over the place for a spot to pitch. I can't say I have any complaints with my paratarp. I also run a cimmaron for times where I'll be stationary longer, may have some serious weather, or have another person along.

But when it comes down to it a tarp, pitched up on a nice day is just a neat shelter to stay under, especially compared to a cramped 1 man tent. I wouldn't buy a tarp that left me with a one and done pitch option.

duchntr

WKR
I use to have a lagarita 3, used it for sheep hunts where finding large flat places isn't easy. I cannot compare with the Kifaru shelter since I've never owned one, but the build quality on the BP is what you'd expect from a 170$ tarp. That being said the style, which was probably ripped off from kifaru is amazing in the wind, rain and light snow all guyed out and rocks on the stakes. As far as long term durability I cant answer that as Ive only spent around 20 nights in it before giving it away. What I don't like about the shelter is its a 2 pole shlter which I am not really a huge fan of for one reason, which is setup speed in shitty weather, especially by yourself. Other than that its a sweet bombproof design, Ive since moved onto a single pole setup (hmg ultamid2) which I can pitch very quickly with more headroom. I won't steer you away from the super tarp style of shelter but I would say you should look at the tut or the silvertip for a more "comfortable" shelter. Ill see if I can get some pictures of that tarp posted.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Pics would be awesome! So am l understanding you correctly that the build quality is good? What shape is this when layed flat?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I ended up with a hennesy hammock hex fly that is pretty close in size to the super tarp, have only picked it up first part of winter and tried a few set ups with it. Like the shape, price and weight of it but that's all I've got right now....

Some good info so far in this thread. I think there are probably at least a few folks out there that are unaware of all the different cottage companies/manufactures of these style shelters, so just to muddy the waters a little, I thought I would add a few more names to the hat. Some have already been mentioned but most haven't, some only build CF shelters, some only build sylnylon (or similar material) shelters, and some build both.

Mountain Laurel Designs
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Tarptent
Yama Mountain Gear
BearPaw Wilderness Designs
Locus Gear
Seek Outside
Zpacks
Kifaru
Titanium Goat
Borah Gear
Hammock Gear
Six Moon Designs
Integral Designs
Equinox Ultralite
Jimmy Tarps
Hummingbird Hammocks
Mountain smith
Black Diamond

And I'm sure the list goes on and on and on.

4ester

WKR
If you want to try a design similar to a Supertarp check out the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. Can pick one up for under $100 and to be honest it’s a pretty good little shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

435821A0-CE3C-48C7-8529-411DE33CB5B2.jpgI run a mountainsmith mountain shelter LT and sewed a stove jack in myself. The tarp, lite outdoors stove and stovejack still cost me less than a supertarp and annex without a stove would have. Spent week in it and it’s a solid shelter.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Man lots of good stuff in that list. I really like that Yama Gear tarp!

Seek Outside DST tarp looks like it will fill that gap for me in the future and a Silvertip when I need protection on four sides

Lots of options and not enough time to play with them all......

So far I have been happy with a Kifaru paratarp but it is not spacious when pitched tight to the ground. Also happy with the DST from SO as it can serve a lot of functions.

And I'll throw in a plug for YAMA Mountain Gear. I have not put hands on one of their tarps but Gen made a custom sized CF dry bag for me and it is very well done.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I might be sold on that DST. Does anyone know of a 10x10 like that in 20d instead of 30?. My TiGoat tipi is 20d and it seems fine.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Anyone considering a DST or any other flat tarp might want to check this out. Product Flat Tarps Page

Bearpaw gives you tons of tie outs. If you look at the spec sheet 'C' can have stake pockets (for poles/sticks) for 8 bucks. Then it would also work just like a La Garita and Supertarp. And the price is great . And you can get any size under the sun.

So for you DST guys, do you like 10x10 or do you wish it was a little bit more trim?