Shelters similar to a supertarp

There are a few that come to mind in terms of shape, although dimensions are surely different :

Trekkertent stealth

MLD Patrol Tarp

Bearpaw wilderness designs has the la garita, I think. Dont quote me on that.

Having just sold a megatarp after a short but intensive several weeks, I can say (as the supertarp is same material, slightly smaller and different shape) that kifaru build quality is very impressive. I find myself moving a different direction more due to personal use preferences, but that megatarp was STRONG. I did have the chance to use it in some winds where I honestly was concerned as to what might happen. It was no worse for the wear. I havent used the other shelters mentioned, and would guess they are strong and are more affordable. But kifaru construction certainly gives piece of mind, and that is worth alot.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Wow I'm really glad I asked! I really like that La Garita. The law Garita 3 is 170 bucks and about the size of a supertarp. It also has a front closure door. It's 20 oz but if I get it without the line locks probably the same as the supertarp at 17 Oz.

Are there any other options out there? I got a bunch of Kifaru gear and I love them. But this is looking pretty good.

What don't you guys like about the La Garita and why aren't more running it?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Wow I'm really glad I asked! I really like that La Garita. The law Garita 3 is 170 bucks and about the size of a supertarp. It also has a front closure door. It's 20 oz but if I get it without the line locks probably the same as the supertarp at 17 Oz.

Are there any other options out there? I got a bunch of Kifaru gear and I love them. But this is looking pretty good.

What don't you guys like about the La Garita and why aren't more running it?

Good question. Honestly, I am not sure why I decided the kifaru megatarp over the la garita. There are quite a few people here that use other shelters from bearpaw. The reputation is excellent, never read a bad review. I honestly dont know what made me choose the kifaru though.... Maybe because I was already so familiar with them from backpacks.

Bearpaw does custom work also. I dont own anything by him yet, but have spent alot of time scouring that site. In the end I bought a used Jimmy tarp on the classifieds. Was so impressed i recently bought another one. His raghorn shelter looks like a megatarp, but he doesnt sell it as a stove shelter, just as it looks in the picture.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
After looking at all these ideas lve now nailed down what really appeals to me about the supertarp.

1. No need for lines. Just brainlessly pin that sucker to the ground.

2. Beak overhang. A full zippered front would be great also.

3. Ability to open it up or raise it up to use it more like a tarp then a tent.

Can the pyramids be used this way? The ones that zip up along one of the corners to the top?

I had a Super Tarp for years.As far as I can tell those other tarps could be pitched up high and a Super tarp does need 1 guy line.The beak overhang is the biggest difference and that doesn't seam like that big of a deal.A good flat tarp seems more versatile and a lot less expensive to me

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Im with ya Tim. Having had the super tarp, at 11 feet do you think this thing would have enough room in it at 9'8"?

edit: I'm asking because even though the La Garita seems like its about 1' shorter, its also almost a foot taller and sometimes it's hard to compare usable space in these things.

Last edited:
I’d never heard of BearPaw or the La Garita but I’m sure glad I looked at this thread! I’ve been looking at tarps and I really like that one. Sure wish I could afford a cuben tarp! I really like the fact that he makes floors and bug tents to match his tarps! Since I live in Texas and hunt/fish areas (like AK) with bug issues, it’s great to have the option to add on real protection from an onslaught by creepy-crawlies and airborne bloodsuckers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Super Tarp for years.As far as I can tell those other tarps could be pitched up high and a Super tarp does need 1 guy line.The beak overhang is the biggest difference and that doesn't seam like that big of a deal.A good flat tarp seems more versatile and a lot less expensive to me
I second this. I used to use a flat tarp exclusively, couldnt afford a tent. If you get creative, a flat tarp can do almost anything. Some say (not sure why) that a shaped tarp is more versatile. I absolutely disagree. A shaped tarp just makes it so you dont have to know how to use a flat tarp.

I’d never heard of BearPaw or the La Garita but I’m sure glad I looked at this thread! I’ve been looking at tarps and I really like that one. Sure wish I could afford a cuben tarp! I really like the fact that he makes floors and bug tents to match his tarps! Since I live in Texas and hunt/fish areas (like AK) with bug issues, it’s great to have the option to add on real protection from an onslaught by creepy-crawlies and airborne bloodsuckers!

Yeah, I am with you. Lots of bugs here too. Cant wait for summer time, going to run a nest in a Jimmy tarps skyline :-D

OP
S

snowplow

WKR

Ya lm obsessing over this. I can find almost no information on this other than one good vid.

I came into this thinking a supertarp for a bivy setup. But l can get the La Garita with a stove jack and zippered front for 205$. I could get it without the line locs and weight would be about same as supertarp 17-19 oz (WITH the zip front doors). The La Garita is a foot shorter (which probably is a wash since you have a door to close in the rain), 2" wider and 8" taller in front, and same width bit an inch taller in rear.

I just wonder what lm missing? It doesnt seem like anybody uses these. I think it makes way more sense on paper. Its reg 30d sylnylon but l havent had trouble with that.

And as one other alternative you might checkout the TiGoat Vertex 5 tipi. I have one and am now considering just getting another for my bivy setup instead of the La Garita. It is 9.8'x8.6' only 21oz and you can get a stove jack. Best of all its tall like the La Garita at 60" (5'). Only for 260$. It sets up super super fast. This is another one that it seems nobody runs.

So not sure what to do.

I’ve got a feeling it’s not run by more people simply because it hasn’t been noticed by someone with some notoriety and/or it’s not made by a popular brand. Plus, the Kifaru fabric has such a reputation that many people seem to judge everything else inferior.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Yep. Im def a kifaru fanboy. I have lots of their stuff but this seems like a killer value.

I’ve got a feeling it’s not run by more people simply because it hasn’t been noticed by someone with some notoriety and/or it’s not made by a popular brand. Plus, the Kifaru fabric has such a reputation that many people seem to judge everything else inferior.

Agreed. Kifaru is famous (for good reason) and John isnt. But, all the reviews i have read about Johns work were fantastic. Kifaru fabric is remarkable. My Jimmy tarps fabric is less expensive and will do just fine.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
You know I would be interested in looking into the jimmytarp Granite Mountain but everytime I do I get super annoyed and quit because I can't find a decent website with any information on it to compare. I've seen a couple videos from Jimmy but even those annoy me because it's pitched all up super high so I really don't even get a good idea of how much room it would have staked down in the rain. Does the new style have zippers and a non-removable vestibule? I like the price but it even took me forever to find that. Maybe someone could help me out but as of now I wouldn't consider buying one for any price simply because I can't find any information on it.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
You know I would be interested in looking into the jimmytarp Granite Mountain but everytime I do I get super annoyed and quit because I can't find a decent website with any information on it to compare. I've seen a couple videos from Jimmy but even those annoy me because it's pitched all up super high so I really don't even get a good idea of how much room it would have staked down in the rain. Does the new style have zippers and a non-removable vestibule? I like the price but it even took me forever to find that. Maybe someone could help me out but as of now I wouldn't consider buying one for any price simply because I can't find any information on it.

That's another reason why I love the titanium goat website. These tarps tipis and pyramids are inherently hard to picture the amount of usable space you're left with. I think it's really important that these tent makers somehow find a good way to explain and display their product so you know what you're getting.

I've seen a couple videos from Jimmy but even those annoy me because it's pitched all up super high so I really don't even get a good idea of how much room it would have staked down in the rain.
Actually, that's probably one of the more important times when you don't want it staked down tight to the ground. Unless you have a good source of dry heat, you'll want to avoid staking it down tight. Mitigating condensation is imperative when using these types of shelters, so good air flow is key.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I can understand that, but one of the biggest factors when buying these things is to figure out the size you're actually getting. So staking it to the ground would show you your minimum size. And by minimum size I also mean overall height which has a huge effect on usable space and how hard it is to get in or out. When does it much of a factor for me at all. But I'll take the tallest shelter for the same weight every time. I think we all know you can raise it up if you need to.

And I'm not trying to knock Jimmy or his products at all, actually the opposite. I would consider buying one but after watching the those three videos I still don't really feel like I am grasping the overall shape of that thing. I can't help it I just really like to know what I'm getting before I buy it.

I can understand that, but one of the biggest factors when buying these things is to figure out the size you're actually getting. So staking it to the ground would show you your minimum size. And by minimum size I also mean overall height which has a huge effect on usable space and how hard it is to get in or out. When does it much of a factor for me at all. But I'll take the tallest shelter for the same weight every time. I think we all know you can raise it up if you need to.

And I'm not trying to knock Jimmy or his products at all, actually the opposite. I would consider buying one but after watching the those three videos I still don't really feel like I am grasping the overall shape of that thing. I can't help it I just really like to know what I'm getting before I buy it.

A website would help. If in doubt, contact him. He is pretty responsive, and maybe he could explain it better over the phone?