30 degree sleeping bag

Ok so I went on my first hunt the other day and it was a few degrees below freezing and I was ok during the hunt but when it came to sleeping in the tent I was so cold it was kinda miserable. I was using just a regular sleeping bag.. [ what’s a good sleeping bag rated for 30 degrees and small enough to fit in my exo mountain 2000 bag without taking up too much space]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so I went on my first hunt the other day and it was a few degrees below freezing and I was ok during the hunt but when it came to sleeping in the tent I was so cold it was kinda miserable. I was using just a regular sleeping bag.. [ what’s a good sleeping bag rated for 30 degrees and small enough to fit in my exo mountain 2000 bag without taking up too much space]?

Sounds like u need zero degree bag or quilt.. Check out enlightened equipment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
If you they work for you a quilt would be spot on! I have a EE Revelation 10*. On an Xtherm pad I'd say it's good for me down to about 20* and it weighs only 23 oz, plus compresses wonderfully. EE recently started adding 5% more down to their quilts, however if I could do it over again I'd still get a quilt with the 20* baffles and stuffed to a 10* rating (they do this if you call). I don't like having to fluff the down around and get rid of chilly spots all the time. Over-stuffing helps keep this to a minimum. My recommendation though is going about 10* (or more if you're a cold sleeper) lower on the ratings then the weather you expect. It's easy to vent a quilt if you're too warm. Of course it's also easy to throw on your insulting layers if your a gram-counter.

Also, don't forget the importance of the R value of the sleeping pad. It makes a monumental difference.

This is one thing I just don’t understand - why do companies sell bags with a temperature “rating” that isn’t accurate? I mean, why not just be honest about it? I know that it’s somewhat subjective, with warm sleepers and cold sleepers, but I rarely read a comment saying somebody was sleeping in their 10° bag in 10° weather and they were, “toasty warm.” You regularly hear people recommending bags rated for 20° cooler weather than the expected, actual, weather conditions. I don’t see the point in this. Seems almost dangerous - telling people a bag is good for a temperature when it’s actually not and might be off by 20° or more. There’s a pretty major difference between 35° and 15°

Why not just say, “ Our 20° product will keep MOST people toasty warm at temps down to 20°” and have it actually be TRUE? Novel concept, huh?

This is one thing I just don’t understand - why do companies sell bags with a temperature “rating” that isn’t accurate? I mean, why not just be honest about it? I know that it’s somewhat subjective, with warm sleepers and cold sleepers, but I rarely read a comment saying somebody was sleeping in their 10° bag in 10° weather and they were, “toasty warm.” You regularly hear people recommending bags rated for 20° cooler weather than the expected, actual, weather conditions. I don’t see the point in this. Seems almost dangerous - telling people a bag is good for a temperature when it’s actually not and might be off by 20° or more. There’s a pretty major difference between 35° and 15°

Why not just say, “ Our 20° product will keep MOST people toasty warm at temps down to 20°” and have it actually be TRUE? Novel concept, huh?

I assume it has to do with marketing and selling them to uneducated people. If your 20 degree bag weighs a pound more than your competitions because yours is a comfort rating and theirs is a survival rating, you’re not likely to sell as many. A lot of companies have started admitting that you should choose a bag rated cooler than the weather you expect in order to be comfortable.

OP
raysting06
All I know is between shelter, bag , and water filtration and the list seems to go on... this is getting expensive... lol