What should I be looking for in a tent

So what should I be looking for in a tent. I have a pretty big 8 person tent but the size of the tent when rolled up in bag doesn’t seem reasonable . I would be doing either hunts alone or one other person . Is there somthing that would fit in my day pack or somthing a lot easier to put together than the tent I have now ? I’ve only camped and hunted once but I’m realizing things that could be different for future trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
If you are going solo you have a lot of options, my favorite being Tarptent's (you will find a lot of good reviews on them), of which i have the Stratospire. If you are looking at doing a hunt with another person, I would suggest a Kifaru Tut or some of the smaller offerings by Seek Outside...both the Kifaru and Seek Outside options are floorless shelters, so if you're new to that it is honestly not a big deal.

If you want more specifics, then we would need to know what kind of hunting you will be doing, what size "day pack" you will have, how long you plan on staying in the tent..etc, etc. All of these factors can have an impact on the type/size of tent.

Hope that helps you get started.

OP
raysting06
If you are going solo you have a lot of options, my favorite being Tarptent's (you will find a lot of good reviews on them), of which i have the Stratospire. If you are looking at doing a hunt with another person, I would suggest a Kifaru Tut or some of the smaller offerings by Seek Outside...both the Kifaru and Seek Outside options are floorless shelters, so if you're new to that it is honestly not a big deal.

If you want more specifics, then we would need to know what kind of hunting you will be doing, what size "day pack" you will have, how long you plan on staying in the tent..etc, etc. All of these factors can have an impact on the type/size of tent.

Hope that helps you get started.

I have a exo mountain 2000 day pack. Solo mostly . I would mostly be setting up a base camp at the primitive camp site then walk in or drive to road that I want to explore that day. But in the off season your allowed to camp in the actual Forrest where I would like to chase hog and camp out

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Tyler, Manager with the Wall Tent Shop here. If you will be able to set-up a basecamp, have a short trip in, or be able to drive to your camp a wall tent is something to consider. With a weight of 45lb., our 8x10 isn't suited for packing in too far. Our company owner Rich, stays in his 8x10 for weeks at a time while chasing elk around the Selway. Pitching a wall tent is fairly simple and will only take you 15-20 minutes.

If a wall tent is in your cards I would consider the following:
- Extra reinforcements on high stress points (Ridge and Eaves)
- Standard Features (Sod cloth, storm flaps on doors, extra windows/doors, stove jack, wall height)
- Quality of canvas (Single or Double Fill, Treatments, Strength)

OP
raysting06
Tyler, Manager with the Wall Tent Shop here. If you will be able to set-up a basecamp, have a short trip in, or be able to drive to your camp a wall tent is something to consider. With a weight of 45lb., our 8x10 isn't suited for packing in too far. Our company owner Rich, stays in his 8x10 for weeks at a time while chasing elk around the Selway. Pitching a wall tent is fairly simple and will only take you 15-20 minutes.

If a wall tent is in your cards I would consider the following:
- Extra reinforcements on high stress points (Ridge and Eaves)
- Standard Features (Sod cloth, storm flaps on doors, extra windows/doors, stove jack, wall height)
- Quality of canvas (Single or Double Fill, Treatments, Strength)

Thanks I’ll look into it

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
You are on at the right forum. Search “floorless shelters” and “tarp tents”. Lots of reviews, used equipment sales, and options.

OP
raysting06
You are on at the right forum. Search “floorless shelters” and “tarp tents”. Lots of reviews, used equipment sales, and options.

Ahh man there’s so many options I can see how a wall tent for base camp with a stove would be ideal for base camp during winter. And then I can see how the floorless like kifaru tut with stove if necessary depending on weather would be ideal for back packing into the forrest and scouting out areas and staying the night and continue the scout the next morning

If you're talking about a traditional 2-wall 3 season shelter there are a lot of options, but the main thing to consider is floor space. If you're like me and have to run a wide pad and expect your cohabitant to run a wide pad as well, you will need a minimum of 50-54" wide. For a lot of companies you will need at least a 3 person tent to just barely hit that mark, but I have a REI Half Dome 2+ for that situation. Another concern is price. Without a target price I am just going to recommend a best value for weight/cost, but if cost isn't a huge issue for you then you may consider stepping up to a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 or even looking at some Hillebergs or floorless options. If you don't mind restricting yourself to solo use and being slightly cramped, an Alps Mystic 1.5 is a great option for a cheap 2-wall 3 season solution. Along those same lines you could look at some Big Agnes or Hilleberg options. You could also look into Tarps and bivys as well as full on floorless options (Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT is by far the cheapest and I'd suggest trying this first to see if you like it).

OP
raysting06
If you're talking about a traditional 2-wall 3 season shelter there are a lot of options, but the main thing to consider is floor space. If you're like me and have to run a wide pad and expect your cohabitant to run a wide pad as well, you will need a minimum of 50-54" wide. For a lot of companies you will need at least a 3 person tent to just barely hit that mark, but I have a REI Half Dome 2+ for that situation. Another concern is price. Without a target price I am just going to recommend a best value for weight/cost, but if cost isn't a huge issue for you then you may consider stepping up to a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 or even looking at some Hillebergs or floorless options. If you don't mind restricting yourself to solo use and being slightly cramped, an Alps Mystic 1.5 is a great option for a cheap 2-wall 3 season solution. Along those same lines you could look at some Big Agnes or Hilleberg options. You could also look into Tarps and bivys as well as full on floorless options (Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT is by far the cheapest and I'd suggest trying this first to see if you like it).

So far that kifaru sawtooth looks pretty spot on. I need to do more research to see if it’s backpackable with the stove. But for that kinda money I’m gonna have to wait a while and use what I got for now. But seems well worth the wait

So far that kifaru sawtooth looks pretty spot on. I need to do more research to see if it’s backpackable with the stove. But for that kinda money I’m gonna have to wait a while and use what I got for now. But seems well worth the wait

It's a great option for under 5lbs. I borrowed one this summer for a 5 day trip and it was awesome and roomy. My only complaint is that it isn't tall enough for me to stand in, but I'm 6'5". Plenty tall for most normal people. I'm saving up for one myself. Easily packable, but you'll probably want to share the weight if you're bringing the stove.

OP
raysting06
It's a great option for under 5lbs. I borrowed one this summer for a 5 day trip and it was awesome and roomy. My only complaint is that it isn't tall enough for me to stand in, but I'm 6'5". Plenty tall for most normal people. I'm saving up for one myself. Easily packable, but you'll probably want to share the weight if you're bringing the stove.

My only question is how do ou keep dry if it rains with it being floorless

My only question is how do ou keep dry if it rains with it being floorless

It's all about location selection. Unless you pick a stupid spot it isn't that big of a deal. If it's dry when you get there and it's not a hole than you will probably be fine. It's not nearly as big of a deal as people think going into it. The bigger issue will be keeping dry from condensation in humid environments. Single wall shelters, including tents, will all have condensation issues. If you are going to be in locations where this is a problem you may need a liner.

Hall256

WKR
Ahh man there’s so many options I can see how a wall tent for base camp with a stove would be ideal for base camp during winter. And then I can see how the floorless like kifaru tut with stove if necessary depending on weather would be ideal for back packing into the forrest and scouting out areas and staying the night and continue the scout the next morning

Too add another option for you to consider of you are not finding the exact one you want ...there is a user on here William Hanson (Live2Hunt) that makes custom tent/tipis. Most people seem pretty pleased with his work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I camped in snow in my floorless, found a spot where the snow wasn't, pitched the tipi there. It then rained during the afternoon and snowed all night and into the early morning hours. I had zero water in my tipi. It just doesn't happen. I pitched it in a place that was on a higher ground than other areas around me. with little grass under me (condensation).

A floorless shelter is ideal for back pack hunting and camping with family. No floor to get dirty, wet, moldy.
I have dome type tents, and still have bugs in there, mice in there, and water in there from the floor holding it.

The misconception of a floorless can only be resolved by experiencing it first hand.

I would love a walled tent. But it doesnt fit my style of hunting, yet they have so many advantages if it fits how and where you hunt.

One last piece of advice:
So many look for the holy grail system that will work for them in every possible type of hunt- it doesn't exist, sorry.

Definitely make a check list of what you need, want and may need or want in the future, then get the system that has the most boxes checked.
If you do it long enough, you will have more than one of much of your gear. Granted some stuff works all across the check list, but many items wont.

OP
raysting06
Man I’m seeing people are making some pretty nice tipis as well

jmden

WKR
Check out Home - WildSide Systems as well.

Tipis with removable inner floor/wall that makes the tent watertight and bugproof and the stove is inside with you. Very nice to have a completely dry floor--use all the space--and keep the bugs, snakes, etc. out at the same time. Or, if you want, unzip and unclip the inner wall floor and use it as a floorless shelter. Very adaptable to your adventure. Two different inner wall/floors offered to fit you adventure. Check it out.