Copper Spur UL 2 Anyone?

Probably been asked before but, can anyone comment on this tent? It's time to retire my Mt Hardware UL2. Getting too old for a front entry tent ;)

I've seen some YouTube reviews on the Copper Spur UL 2 and I like what I see, but i'm interested in hunters input who are harder on gear. I'll typically do anywhere from 7-14 days or more in September. Thanks in advance.

It's only big enough for 1 person or 2 children. The latest version has 2 doors, but until recently BA only put one door on most of their 2p tents. Lastly it has a very thin floor, so if you're hard on your floor you may need to carry a ground tarp depending on the area you're going into. Having said all that it's probably the most recommended tent on here.

If looking for something that can actually sleep 2 people, save a little money and are okay with a little more weight check out the REI Half Dome 2+.

Last edited:
OP
trophyhill
After my current 2 person tent, I fully expect room for only 1 person in a 2p tent for sure. I like the 2 door feature. Gear on 1 side and enter/exit on the other.

I have a copper Spur 2 virtually in mint condition I'm wanting to sell. $350. Free shipping. Mine is dark gray and light gray in color. No rips tears or stretch marks. All guy lines are intack and poles are perfect. Message me for pics if interests

Well if everyone is saying that the UL2 is a 1 person tent, what does the UL1 fit?

Being a UL1 user, I absolutely loved that tent. Sure, it did not hold me and a lot of gear, but for summer and fall hunting, it fit the bill and was very lightweight. So much so it makes me wonder why I would get a tarp system, which weighs more.

Just my two cents.

Well if everyone is saying that the UL2 is a 1 person tent, what does the UL1 fit?

Being a UL1 user, I absolutely loved that tent. Sure, it did not hold me and a lot of gear, but for summer and fall hunting, it fit the bill and was very lightweight. So much so it makes me wonder why I would get a tarp system, which weighs more.

Just my two cents.

I love the ul1 too. My favorite tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the UL 2 and I think its a great tent for back packing/hunting. Plenty of room for your pack, boots and even a bow outside the mesh but under the fly.

OP
trophyhill
The 2 doors w/vestibules is a nice feature. My current set-up, I hate climbing over stuff in the middle of the night for those late night potty breaks ;)

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
I started running a Copper Spur UL2 this year as a spike tent. Held up great even after 7 days of rain on the mountain. Yes its very lightweight and fragile so you just have to be careful. I have the newer version with 2 vestibules and yes its cramped with 2 people but it gets the job done. Will probably pick up the UL1 this year too.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider

Just my two cents.

I have used the Copper Spur UL1 for years, and it has been a great early season tent. I am 6'2" 280ish and have not had a problem getting all of my gear in it or sleeping in it. It requires some thinking to store all of my gear (I typically store some lesser used items in the 2nd mini vestibule), but it has been a great August/September shelter.

Love my CS2 when I need a full tent. Tried the LED lights when I first received it and haven’t used them since. Not worth it to me but YMMV.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Based on some reviews I've seen it sounds like the ground sheet you can purchase for it sucks according to reviews. I'd recommend just getting a Tyvek ground sheet which will weigh about 7oz if you feel like you need something. You might even be able to get it lighter with kite-making tyvek: Amazon.com: 3m (3.2 Yards) of Tyvek 43gsm 1443R Kitemaking Material | Tent Ground Cloths | Durable, Strong, Lightweight, Breathable

I have the BA groundsheet, and a Tyvek one. The BA sheet is 1/3 the weight of the Tyvek sheet, and packs up to the size of a handkerchief. The Tyvek is way heavier and bulkier. Not sure what the complaints against the BA one are, as long as you aren't an idiot about site selection there are no issues with it.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
After looking at the newest version of the Big Agnes CS UL1 it is obvious that my older tent is FAR different from the new model. There is no 2nd vestibule now. Too bad as it is a great feature that I would not trade for a few less oz. Also it appears that the main vestibule is slightly smaller now due to the more vertical walls...