Budget backcountry tent? Geertop?

rootacres

WKR
I will be in need of a 3 season tent likely in the 2p w/ vestibule or 3p configuration. I need it to be relatively lightweight given that its going in a pack and will be used for back country hunts. I know there are a lot of phenomenal tents out there just $500-$700 is quite a bit. I was hoping to find a decent tent in the sub $250 range. Anyone have any guidance on this? thanks

ks.snow

FNG
The MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2P is what I use and you could wait for it to go on sale and get it for around the $300 range. So far I really like the space of the tent and how it has held up. Dual vestibules is an awesome feature as well. The tent sets up super easy and the durability is great from the reviews I have read and my personal experience. Definatly something i'd consider if I was in your shoes.

Another option would be to look out for a used copper spur ul2 or hilliberg here as im sure some people will me dumping their tents to try the new stone glacier 2p that just came out this year.

I've got a $500 copper Spur 2UL tent I'm lookin to sell for $350. No tears, no missing parts, comes with foot print. Free shipping. Got it in 2016. It's gray in color. Got it for a reasonable price, so I'm gonna sell it for a reasonable price. Should keep it as a good UL tent but I upgraded for a Nallo 3GT with the family so it's gonna help pay for this one. I need to post it in the classifieds here with pics. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Lawnboi

WKR
3 or 4 season? Where are you using it? When are you using it? Tough to reccomend if we don't know that.

Personally if I was on that budget, and the conditions allow, I'd do a tarp and bivy, which will fit your price range, be tough and lighter than a lot of budget options

If you want to save a bit of money to spend on something else, this would get you by for a few seasons. ALPS Mountaineering Zenith 3 AL Tent - 3-Person, 3-Season - Save 48%
Get a 25% off coupon code from this site and you can have it for about $100 bucks. Less if you get the 2 person. I'ts not the lightest or the strongest, but I've used it Mt. Goat hunting at an 11K camp in the snow and was fine. Its actually pretty stable if you guy it out and point the lower end into the wind. There are also some bigger name 3 season tents at good prices at SierraTP.

View attachment 65121

P1050023.jpg
P1050027.jpg

Last edited:
OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
3 or 4 season? Where are you using it? When are you using it? Tough to reccomend if we don't know that.

Personally if I was on that budget, and the conditions allow, I'd do a tarp and bivy, which will fit your price range, be tough and lighter than a lot of budget options

I hear ya, I have 3 season specified in the post. It will mostly be used for September-October hunts in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming etc. It may see a November hunt at some point.

Seems like buying a higher end tent on here used may be a good option.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
My bad. It's a 3 season tent. Used it in Colorado.

No prob, I will kick the idea around. The Nallo 2GT and Nallo 2 look awesome for what I want to do. I may just have to pony up at some point. We will see. Thanks

ljalberta

WKR
A little above your price point, and I'm not sure what sort of duties you would face, but MEC in Canada offers some great 3 season options. Such as this one MEC Spark 2 Tent. I'd say they're similar to the Hubba Hubba, although a little cheaper. Might be worth a look if the CAD drops again.

I like my Mountainsmith LT as a less expensive option when I dont want to use my tarp. It is 2 lbs with everything, and can be found for 90+ dollars on sale. Saw a yellow one for 80 dollars the other day. Mine is green which blends in well, and some folks add a stove for late season. It would be tight for 3 people though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR

Seems like buying a higher end tent on here used may be a good option.

This is a good option...or just know you can still get a good tent, it may not just be the lightest. Be realistic to your self on how much weight you want to carry and then narrow down from there. Perhaps hauling around an extra 2 pounds can save you an extra $200. Later on, once you have some extra money you can always upgraded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
After having condensation issues in 2 Hilleberg tents (Nallo 3 GT & Jannu) I tried the Kuiu Stormstar tent for a season and liked it a lot more. I know I know we on Rokslide are supposed to hate Kuiu because its Kuiu but I could care less if stuff works I will use it. The layout and space for the weight was MUCH better than the Hillieberg for our uses. The 2 door 2 vestibule option with the top end (where your heads go) being wider than where your feet go to save some weight is nice. Having poles overlap in 4 places made it rock solid in some pretty crazy winds on Kodiak and Alaska Range. For the weight and how stout it is its a great tent.
g48Jpnh.jpg

Storm Star 2 Person Tent - 4 Season Tent | KUIU

That said my primary hunting partner (my wife) and myself had a baby a year ago and the Kuiu was slightly too small to accomdate her and I and the little pea pod our baby slept inside the tent. So I set about looking for a slightly larger option with similar features. Enter the MSR Elixir 3.

It easily houses all 3 of us and has the similar pole design to the Kuiu with the poles overlapping on each end of the tent to buck the wind much better than the more traditional style of the two long poles only intersecting on the top of the the tent. In addition this designs allows the cross pole to intersect with the two long poles as well. Overall even though its a rated as a 3 season tent I feel that in my experience the pole design makes it an EXTREMELY robust 3 season design. I honestly believe if they made this a double wall for the inner tent instead of so much mesh it could be rated 4 season (for a bit of a weight penalty). Reality is I really think the extra mesh helps even more with condensation so I don't wake up to a soaking wet outside to my sleeping bag like I did in the Hillebergs I had.

Regardless for the $$$ the space/weight and weather worthiness it provides I think its hard to beat. $219 for a sub 5 pound (minimum trail weight) 3 person (40 sq ft of internal tent space) and still have 2 doors and 2 vesitubles all for $219 is dang tough to beat IMO.

Sure its not the lightest, but for trips where lightweight matters more than solid wind worthiness or extra buggy times I had no problems sucking it up and packing the "heavy" MSR Elixir 3. In fact its the tent we will be using next summer when we hike the Chilkoot trail. In addition to a couple spring/summer backpacking ventures into the Alaska range grizzly bear hunting the 3 of us as a family.
wJCcZq1.jpg

b4VVGx7.jpg

kjj7W4N.jpg

Keep in mind that pea pod is wider than 25" so 3 normal size 20" pads is very doable in there if you gotta do a quick trip for 3 people.

Amazon.com : MSR Elixir 3-Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent : Sports & Outdoors

Yeah if we didn't have a kiddo we'd still own the Kuiu....but don't mind the bit extra weight too much for the extra space the Elixir 3 provides. Certainly be hard pressed to get me to spend the $$$ on a Hilleberg again only to end up all damp again....they are hell for stout though.

Owenst7

WKR
I like my Mountainsmith LT as a less expensive option when I dont want to use my tarp. It is 2 lbs with everything, and can be found for 90+ dollars on sale. Saw a yellow one for 80 dollars the other day. Mine is green which blends in well, and some folks add a stove for late season. It would be tight for 3 people though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love mine.

I spent a week in mine this winter with two other guys. It's a pretty funny experience to look back on. There's pictures if you look up my username on Instagram.

You could get 3 mountainshelters for the price and weight of a lot of 2-3 man dome tents. It's hard to beat the spaciousness of a floorless if you don't have tick or snake problems. I find that mosquitos and flys don't really find their way in if you pitch it close to the ground or kick some dirt/brush around to seal the perimeter.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love mine.

I spent a week in mine this winter with two other guys. It's a pretty funny experience to look back on. There's pictures if you look up my username on Instagram.

You could get 3 mountainshelters for the price and weight of a lot of 2-3 man dome tents. It's hard to beat the spaciousness of a floorless if you don't have tick or snake problems. I find that mosquitos and flys don't really find their way in if you pitch it close to the ground or kick some dirt/brush around to seal the perimeter.
You had 3 guys in a mountainsmith lt?

Live2hunt custom shelters

kipper09

WKR
Exped Gemini III. A touch more money than you wanna spend but give it a look. Pretty nice tent. Really spacious with really steep walls. Doesn’t get near the recognition it should IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having condensation issues in 2 Hilleberg tents (Nallo 3 GT & Jannu) I tried the Kuiu Stormstar tent for a season and liked it a lot more. I know I know we on Rokslide are supposed to hate Kuiu because its Kuiu but I could care less if stuff works I will use it. The layout and space for the weight was MUCH better than the Hillieberg for our uses. The 2 door 2 vestibule option with the top end (where your heads go) being wider than where your feet go to save some weight is nice. Having poles overlap in 4 places made it rock solid in some pretty crazy winds on Kodiak and Alaska Range. For the weight and how stout it is its a great tent.
g48Jpnh.jpg

Storm Star 2 Person Tent - 4 Season Tent | KUIU

That said my primary hunting partner (my wife) and myself had a baby a year ago and the Kuiu was slightly too small to accomdate her and I and the little pea pod our baby slept inside the tent. So I set about looking for a slightly larger option with similar features. Enter the MSR Elixir 3.

It easily houses all 3 of us and has the similar pole design to the Kuiu with the poles overlapping on each end of the tent to buck the wind much better than the more traditional style of the two long poles only intersecting on the top of the the tent. In addition this designs allows the cross pole to intersect with the two long poles as well. Overall even though its a rated as a 3 season tent I feel that in my experience the pole design makes it an EXTREMELY robust 3 season design. I honestly believe if they made this a double wall for the inner tent instead of so much mesh it could be rated 4 season (for a bit of a weight penalty). Reality is I really think the extra mesh helps even more with condensation so I don't wake up to a soaking wet outside to my sleeping bag like I did in the Hillebergs I had.

Regardless for the $$$ the space/weight and weather worthiness it provides I think its hard to beat. $219 for a sub 5 pound (minimum trail weight) 3 person (40 sq ft of internal tent space) and still have 2 doors and 2 vesitubles all for $219 is dang tough to beat IMO.

Sure its not the lightest, but for trips where lightweight matters more than solid wind worthiness or extra buggy times I had no problems sucking it up and packing the "heavy" MSR Elixir 3. In fact its the tent we will be using next summer when we hike the Chilkoot trail. In addition to a couple spring/summer backpacking ventures into the Alaska range grizzly bear hunting the 3 of us as a family.
wJCcZq1.jpg

b4VVGx7.jpg

kjj7W4N.jpg

Keep in mind that pea pod is wider than 25" so 3 normal size 20" pads is very doable in there if you gotta do a quick trip for 3 people.

Amazon.com : MSR Elixir 3-Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent : Sports & Outdoors

Yeah if we didn't have a kiddo we'd still own the Kuiu....but don't mind the bit extra weight too much for the extra space the Elixir 3 provides. Certainly be hard pressed to get me to spend the $$$ on a Hilleberg again only to end up all damp again....they are hell for stout though.

Sorry to sidetrack. Gotta ask who makes the pod? My kids are now beyond the infant/toddler stage, but, man! I coulda used one of those a few years ago! No kid sleeping on your head. No worrying about the kid ending up on the bottom of the hamster pile. It may be too late for my sleep deprived azz, but I've got buddies with little ones.

*****Never mind. Found it. Saw Kidgo and tried searching and only saw the cube whack a mole things with the hole for the kid. The less than brilliant combination of Kidgo and Peapod in the search took a moment to bubble up out of my brain.

Last edited:
I run the Mountainsmith LT, sewed in a stove
Jack myself. The shelter, stove jack and stove cost less than a super tarp and annex without a stove. Mine with the LiteOutdoors stove is still sub 4.5lbs and I have a heat source which I a total game changer. It’s a solid shelter and I’ve had it through couple thunderstorms and it help up just fine.
9b9277c4ba376e8834fdbed4328c7964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk