to hammock or not to hammock?

Cruzzer3

FNG
Hello!!

First of all my wife and I are planning our first elk hunting trip to Colorado this fall. We are starting our list and slowly getting our supplies. I have a class paid for by work in Pueblo Co mid Sept. She will fly out and meet me Friday the 14th. That flight is paid for by a waiver that was given to us by American Airlines. So both being hunters I thought what a great reason to hunt. Travel is paid for. Our next item on our list is how to sleep. We are from Ohio and we do long distance kayak trips. While on these trips we take hammocks. We love sleeping in them due to comfort. When we sleep on the ground we feel like crap half of the next day. In a hammock we wake up refreshed and ready. My concerns are not weight or staying warm. Thats not the issue. My issue at this point is who thinks hammock camping is worth it? I have had multiple people tell me that you hunt where the elk are and trees might not be there. I never elk hunted before. So I have no idea what to plan for. We are also on a budget and cant afford to buy a 400$ light tent system. We have to buy clothing, boots and tags for two. Let me know your thoughts. We do have a 2 person tent but it weight almost 6.5 LBS. I prefer to not pack that if possible.

Thanks.

I use a hammock on my early season elk hunts here in Idaho. Later in the season I like my Sawtooth and stove. I never have issues finding suitable trees. You hunt where the elk are, but you want to camp a bit away.

I think it’ll depend on where you hunt in Colorado. I use my hammock in the summer for work and scouting and plan to use it for hunting as well this up coming season.

I've done both on the same trip. just pitch your tarp low to the ground and take an air mattress/sleeping pad. Trekking pole is your support if you aren't in the trees. Weight penalty is an extra pound or so, depending on how much your sleeping pad weighs (I use my sleeping bag in my hammock - not a quilt).

Last edited:
OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
Ok I just keep getting mixed reviews. My wife and I love our hammocks but don't want to be screwed if we went that route. Good advice I guess we could always use our tarp as a floorless shelter if needed.

I have traveled extensively and spent weeks at a time in my Clark NX-250. Take a big tarp and buy the book THE ULTIMATE HANG. Then you're set.

I do both. I have a pretty good sized simply light designs tarp with a diy made hammock. I use it during early season and if my hunting partner brings his own stuff. If it’s colder I bring my stove and cimmaron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
I think we will try it!! At least if we are warm we will be comfortable instead if miserable. If we get cold or can't find a spot to hang them we pitch the tarp and cuddle. Grateful my hunting partner Is the wife!!!