Easiest (quickest) stove to assemble?

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to get a SO Redcliff and need to decide on a stove. I've been researching all the major players, SO, LO, Kifaru, etc. and am at the point where ease of setup is a major consideration. How long does it take to assemble your stove? Likes, dislikes from an assembly point of view? Thanks.

sveltri

WKR
I started with a liteoutdoors cylinder stove and now have a seek outside large box stove. I believe the cylinder gets easier each time you set it up, but the box style is very fast and easy.

The fastest stove is going to be the one you know the best and are most proficient at assembling.
If you don't use it often practicing at home will make a big difference.

OP
S

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Hill People Gear (HPG) Shepard stove. I use this in my Sawtooth and SO 8 man. Easiest setup of any backpacking stove I’ve had. No bolts or nuts to loose, sets up in a minute or two. You need to watch the video on this one and you will see what I mean. I sold my other stoves after getting this one.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Lite Outdoors stove and love it...but, the Kifaru Smith clinder stove looks a bit quicker to set up. Ive used a box stove and am not crazy about it. If you saved any time setting it up you would quickly lose even more time breaking sticks to a smaller length and refilling the stove more often. I set up the LO and its good to go for at least an hour. The box stove I had to add wood every 20 minutes and was constantly looking for wood and breaking it to 12", which sucked.

Check out the Hill People Gear (HPG) Shepard stove. I use this in my Sawtooth and SO 8 man. Easiest setup of any backpacking stove I’ve had. No bolts or nuts to loose, sets up in a minute or two. You need to watch the video on this one and you will see what I mean. I sold my other stoves after getting this one.

This thing has not been made in a couple years now...I've been eyeing them from time to time and it still just says this on their site....Pity, cause it looks like a great stove
* FALL 2016 - CONTINUING DIFFICULTIES GETTING THESE BACK INTO PRODUCTION. DON'T PLAN ON ONE THIS HUNTING SEASON. EMAIL [email protected] TO GET NOTIFICATIONS. SPECIFY YOUR INTEREST IN A LARGE OR MEDIUM *

Hiwallman - when did you purchase the stove?

OP
S

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that's why they weren't on my list.

This thing has not been made in a couple years now...I've been eyeing them from time to time and it still just says this on their site....Pity, cause it looks like a great stove
* FALL 2016 - CONTINUING DIFFICULTIES GETTING THESE BACK INTO PRODUCTION. DON'T PLAN ON ONE THIS HUNTING SEASON. EMAIL [email protected] TO GET NOTIFICATIONS. SPECIFY YOUR INTEREST IN A LARGE OR MEDIUM *

Hiwallman - when did you purchase the stove?

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a bummer because the HPG Shepard stove is so easy to use. I wasn’t aware that it hasn’t been available since Fall 2016. I got mine in 2015 or early 2016.

Good decision to look for a stove that is quick, easy to set up. That was my primary concern when buying mine as well. I looked at all the varsity players and went with the LO 18".

I didn't want to mess with wires.
I wanted a big door to get wood in.
I wanted as long as could, yet small and light weight.

I ended up with the LO stove.

That’s a bummer because the HPG Shepard stove is so easy to use. I wasn’t aware that it hasn’t been available since Fall 2016. I got mine in 2015 or early 2016.

Not to hijack your post Sgrog, but IF they get this back in production; what size stove did you get Hiwallman? Large? Also; what other stoves did you have that you got rid of? Did you just get rid of them because of the ease of set-up of the HPG, or does the HPG perform just as well, if not better than some of those others? I've really liked the looks of this stove; and after watching the video - it's a no brainer for set-up. Guess I just have some wishful thinking that they will bring it back someday.

AdamW

WKR
I've got the TiGoat Wifi goes together pretty quick. Not many small parts to lose so that is nice as well. The first time I kind of fought it, but after it was burnt in I've had no issues. Pretty sturdy little stove, I've got the medium.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack your post Sgrog, but IF they get this back in production; what size stove did you get Hiwallman? Large? Also; what other stoves did you have that you got rid of? Did you just get rid of them because of the ease of set-up of the HPG, or does the HPG perform just as well, if not better than some of those others? I've really liked the looks of this stove; and after watching the video - it's a no brainer for set-up. Guess I just have some wishful thinking that they will bring it back someday.
I got the original Shepard stove which is the large. It uses the 4” pipe. I replaced my kifaru stove and 6 man tipi tent with the SO 8 man tipi and HPG stove. Nothing wrong with the kifaru stove. I didn’t like all the parts needed to assemble the stove. The stove worked fine but I wanted the bigger HPG stove. It is overkill in the Kifaru Sawtooth tent. At least it burns sticks instead of twigs.

OP
S

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
The LO 18" stove seems to have a lot going for it. Anybody cooked on it and on a box stove? How do they compare?