Question for Supertarp users

mk_v

WKR
I’m trying to find a shelter that I can use as a day shelter to get out of storms and the sun to glass. I wanted it to be capable for a one person tent and enough room for equipment when I can do overnight trips. I would like to avoid having to buy two shelters if I can. I would say 90% of the time it would be used as a day shelter, just because I don’t think I’ll have as much time this next season for overnight trips. I would be using for spring bear in May, antelope in August, and archery season from September to October in Montana. I would want it to fit myself, backpack, and my bow with enough coverage to block wind when needed.

I’ve been looking at the supertarp, but am hesitant if it may be too big for my day shelter. Mainly because the areas I hunt tend to be fairly dense forests. I would most likely have to pitch in alternate layouts because the space may not be available. I haven’t seen many pictures of different pitches and was wondering if others use it similar to what I am intending. I really like the idea of being able to add the annex without having to add the weight on day hunts. I have considered the paratarp but feel it may be to small for a tent when pitched in the “A” frame format.

What do you all think? Am I being unrealistic in my expectations of this shelter? Would anyone be willing to share pictures of different pitches other than the “A” frame?

Thanks for the help.

Mk

FlyGuy

WKR
I just picked up a supertarp a few weeks ago but haven't used it yet other than to set it up in my yard. Personally, I plan to carry it when I plan to spike out for the night, but it would be a little big for me to carry as a daytime shelter.

Last September I carried the sheep tarp with me as a day shelter for the 1st time and I was very happy with it. Much lighter and much easier/faster to set up than the super. I used it twice during rainstorms and was happy I had it. Its not very big, but My hunting partner and I were able to stretch out underneath it with our daypacks and catch a nap while it rained away. You might look at it for the uses you describe. I haven't used it as an overnight shelter, but it could work in mild weather.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

How about an 8x10 flat tarp? It’s kind of the “in between” size of the SuperTarp and Sheep Tarp and can be used in numerous configurations.

OP
M

mk_v

WKR
How about an 8x10 flat tarp? It’s kind of the “in between” size of the SuperTarp and Sheep Tarp and can be used in numerous configurations.

Thank you for the replies.

I’ll have to take a look at that, any specific recommendations? I’m new to tarps and have been watching YouTube videos for set up configurations.

I also thought about buying the sheep tarp and a supertarp I just was curious how realistic it would be for the supertarp to be used for both purposes in woods that tend to be fairly dense.

Mk

If it is more for just in case stuff and not extended stays in bad weather you might look at a lighterweight material.
I have a DIY tarp that is 2 sheets of the RSBT .66 membrane. Like 12x12, fit in half a nalgene basically. Doesn't weigh much.
Can pitch in more ways than I know and easily fit 2.

OP
M

mk_v

WKR
Thanks for the insight. I’m glad I didn’t just buy a supertarp and find out the hard way. I’m going to pick up a smaller tarp. That borah tarp looks good and a great price!

Thank you for the help

Mk

I have a BearPaw Wilderness Designs 8x10 flat tarp and have been pleased with it so far. It’s been my “large” tarp set up for a few seasons now.

I also have a Sheep Tarp and it’s been my “just in case” set up or when I only need a small and lightweight 1 man set up.