Hammock Questions

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a 2p tent I use at spike camp in Colorado early Sept. I am planning on upgrading this year to cut some weight. With that being said I am also considering going to a hammock system. I have a BA Lost Ranger 15 bag and an insulated pad that fits in the sleeve. I already pack a tarp designed for a hammock with me to camp.

I'm considering just buying a hammock to use this year with my bag/pad setup and the tarp I have. This would be cheaper than buying a new tent. Then if I decided to stick with the hammock, I could go to an underquilt next year, and maybe upgrade the tarp. I realize the risk of a deflated pad with respect to insulation, but that's a risk in a tent as well with that bag. Have any of you used the BA system in a hammock?

We have an additional tarp we cook and hang out under when it's raining, so that's not a factor.

twall13

WKR
I've never used a BA system in a hammock but I think it should work fine. When I started in hammocks I used a closed cell foam pad, and an inflatable pad a couple times. The best way to use the pad in the hammock was to put it inside of the sleeping bag so it doesn't shift around. The BA system should do a good job of preventing the pad from shifting so I think it would work out just fine. I'd suggest testing the system a few times before relying on it as hammocks take a bit to get dialed in. Also, don't inflate your pad quite as much as you would for use on the ground, a little less air helps it conform to the hammock better instead of fighting it.

That said, now that I have my system dialed in I won't be going back to a pad in a hammock ever again. A top quilt so I don't have to struggle with a zipper getting in a hammock and an underquilt to insulate beneath me and I'm more comfortable than I've ever been sleeping in the backcountry.

As far as hammocks go, don't buy an ENO or Yukon Outfitters, etc. Buy one from a cottage shop like Dutchweargear.com and make sure it is an 11' long hammock. That makes things much more comfortable. If you have any questions let me know and I'd be happy to help where I can. There are a few of us on Rokslide that use hammocks in the backcountry.

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm going to start researching different tents. You're not the first to say 11' or longer.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the 11 foot recommendation. It will make a huge difference in comfort. Also, spot on with the recommendation for a cottage vendor vs something you could buy at a store. Huge difference in quality and actually knowing what works. I have had or currently have hammocks from Dutchware, Dream Hammocks, and Simply Light Designs. They kicked the crap out of the ENO I first started with.

I am a full on hammock nerd, so pm me if you have any questions.

amp713

WKR
I've got a hennesy hammock for sale if interested. It's a big asymmetrical with bug netting and is built for up to 300 pounds.

I love to hammock. I have a simpky light tarp and diy UQ and a synthetic TQ. Honestly I love it. I only take my stove and floorless when going with someone else. I would look into making your own hammock. Super easy and comfortable. Otherwise go with a cottage vendor.

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I'm researching and deciding which way to go.

Bm22

FNG
I have a warbonnet blackbird xl it is awesome. Best sleep I have gotten in the woods. I have not taken it in cold weather yet so I am not sure how it would do.

That being said if your going for light and warm one of those teepee style tents with a pad seems the lightest way to me. Others with more knowledge and experience.

homebru

FNG
I have to agree on a couple of things. Cottage vendor. These guys know their stuff and will take care of you. We all live in a small world (electronically) and if they steer you wrong, one bad post on here and they lose business. They also have forgotten way more about hammock camping that most people you'll talk to.

Second, I have to agree with 11 ft. Everybody I talked to said "get 11 ft" if you're a "normal sized" human. I did and I'm glad I did.

Third, start calling Cottage vendors and talking to them. Ask "if you didn't make this stuff, what 3 companies would you look at?". That can help to narrow vendors.

Lastly, when you talk to these guys, ask about "free" trials. I spoke with someone who shipped me a whole set-up to try before I went hunting. I had to pay shipping. His guarantee was "if you buy from me, the shipping is free" so the trial ended up being "free" because I bought his setup.

Hope this helps
homebru

Beendare

WKR
11 foot hammock with over tarp, closed cell foam and under quilt, additional tarp for cooking and camp stuff.....
Do you see where this is going? Grin

I use a cheapie hammock sometimes on summer backpack trips. No way I'm using a hammock for a hunt when there is a chance of big wind or extended bad weather. I want the utility of a tent to cook, sleep, keep the rain, snow, bugs and varmints off and my Tarptent does all of that for 2# 4oz. Many good tent options for 3#.

My take; Hammocks are a novelty......but when its all said and done a tent is all around more functional for a hunt. All of the Mtn hunters I know that tried a hammock went away from them. Now if you are hunting lowland Louisiana or down south somewhere in warm weather...or the Hawaiian islands...that type thing....I can see using a hammock.

twall13

WKR
To each there own, but don't knock it just because it isn't for you. I hunt rifle season in Utah and use a hammock almost exclusively. Sure there are times when a tent is a better option but I can also say I've been wet in a tent a good number of times and I've yet to get wet in a hammock. That's not to say you can't get wet in a hammock, but if you put some thought into your setup, being off the ground us a big advantage. I've weathered snow storms, rain storms, wind storms, temps down to 15° F and been very comfortable through it all in a hammock. It's taken me years to get my setup dialed in for all those conditions so a beginner can't necessarily expect automatic comfort and weather protection without some experimenting but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

As far as cooking goes, my hammock makes a nice, comfortable seat to cook from under my tarp. No need to haul an extra tarp just for cooking. Again, do what works for you, but don't knock something just because it didn't work for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

zman

Lil-Rokslider
When I’m going ultralight, I use this diy underquilt. Around $10, 3 oz., pretty tough to beat. The only downside, it does rustle in a strong wind a bit. DIY Underquilts (Hammock Camping) - YouTube

how much warmth does this add? Do you have a ballpark idea? I'm fine in my clark down to 35- ish... need something to make it a bit warmer. Thinking this might help.

Last edited:

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
When I’m going ultralight, I use this diy underquilt. Around $10, 3 oz., pretty tough to beat. The only downside, it does rustle in a strong wind a bit. DIY Underquilts (Hammock Camping) - YouTube

how much warmth does this add? Do you have a ballpark idea? I'm fine in my clark down to 35- ish... need something to make it a bit warmer. Thinking this might help.

I don’t really have a temp rating, but I’d say it’s pretty comparable to sleeping on my neoair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk