Strongest/windproof one man tent?

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve used mountian hardware pct 1 and serria
Designs lightyear with awesome success for about a decade for everything mountian related. The Kodiak goat hunts get some wind that is just unreal. Well over 100mph gusts. Those little tents faired much better than this years north face bastion 4. Which came out with all poles bent.

So I’m back to looking at one man tents. Four season one man wind bomb shelter. What’s everyone’s experience?

Here ya go!
c541da320b3520e5f902bd5592b344d1.jpg

What do you think Jake, think you can hang?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve done it before without the fancy poles and tarp....and no fence. However clients usually aren’t into that.

Tarp hell! That’s a 4 season, solo, bomb shelter, and the fence was only there to help break the wind, but yeah, those poles are pretty fancy.

All joking aside, do you pack in 4 season tents for just your clients to use?

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Depending on my goat season I may end up on the mountian for almost three weeks. Last fall for the three goat hunts I was out for 9 days I think and we had winds over 50mph for probably 7 of those days. I want to make sure I’ve got my clients in comfortable tents. Sometimes wind storms are pretty freakin scary, when the mountain begins its slow roar and it builds coming straight at you over the ridge and slams your tent, makes for some long nights. I’ll pack an extra couple pounds for that.

Hammocks are ideal in big wind and short storms...wouldn't wanna be stuck in one for a week though. Of course, a week weather in in a one man tent is no picnic either.

Winds were 20-45mph during a snowstorm in UT all week...no issue here.

26815017_10214850602959708_2366031851002311374_n.jpg

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
If i could get two goats to stand still all night I could hang it between them?!

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Looks like for weight and space I’m almost better off just sticking with a Trango 2.

That’s what I used a couple years ago for my base camp tent and it worked just fine through some serious winds, but man that thing weighs something like 9 lbs. I can’t remember for sure because I haven’t weighed it in years, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it weighs. You’d probably be better off just going with a Hilleberg.

Hilleberg Soulo

Looks like for weight and space I’m almost better off just sticking with a Trango 2.

I would second the Hilleberg Soulo. The one thing to think about when you do get out there is being stuck in a tent for more than a day. Trust me, the slightly larger room is appreciated. However, the Trango 2 is almost twice as heavy as the Soulo. And Hilleberg quality is second to none. The good thing is that both of the tents mentioned here have dome designs, which is critical in high wind areas.

Good luck and let us know what you eventually go with!

Hilleberg Soulo

That’s what I used a couple years ago for my base camp tent and it worked just fine through some serious winds, but man that thing weighs something like 9 lbs. I can’t remember for sure because I haven’t weighed it in years, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it weighs. You’d probably be better off just going with a Hilleberg.

Beat me by two minutes. Well done.

5.3 lbs

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Hilleberg Soulo is a bombproof, one person 4 season shelter, but one of the heaviest out there. Might want to look at the Warmlite 2C tents, they're light, but not freestanding. I've used them both and they both work great. Bibler's are great as well, but internal pole setup is trickier if you need clients to set things up.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I’m not sure I can ever go back to a hilly after my enean experience. 8lbs for a 2 man 4 season Trango isn’t bad for two people nits a roomy two person compared to most
Others.
I’ll check out the warmlights.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
How about a tipi style floorless tent like a SO Silvertip or a Cimarron? I am also looking for a bombproof shelter for 1-2 people for 10 day DIY backpack dall sheep hunt this August. Which shelter is that AK Troutbum? I have a Tarptent Stratospire 2 but not sure it would be strong enough for crazy 4 season wind/weather.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
August Sheep hunting typically a bomber tent or shelter isn’t needed. I use a 2 or 3 season sub 3lb msr Hubba with no issues. But for Kodiak mountians i’d never set that thing up. Oct on Kodiak is nothing like August on the mainland. A floorless would work great in August. If you can keep the bugs out.