Strongest/windproof one man tent?

Beendare

WKR
A hammock? Better bring a parachute too.....

I think the strongest tent I've been in.....in heavy wind was my 12 sided tipi. Those tipis shed the wind like nothing else.
Too big for you though....maybe a smaller version? FWIW, I don't think a pyramid would be the same when it comes to wind.

I've used the std designs with doubled up poles....but if it has a side that cups in the wind-where the wind can grab it- its trouble. If you could add guyouts...or find something with a lot of guyouts- those are a must in places like Kodiak.

My 6 man Cabelas tent got blasted one year we had 90mph gusts on Kodiak [up high in early Aug]....broke 3 poles.

I've heard the tunnel type Hillys...and the Stephenson warmlites are good but no experience with them.

Otherwise, i got nuthin.

How about a tipi style floorless tent like a SO Silvertip or a Cimarron? I am also looking for a bombproof shelter for 1-2 people for 10 day DIY backpack dall sheep hunt this August. Which shelter is that AK Troutbum? I have a Tarptent Stratospire 2 but not sure it would be strong enough for crazy 4 season wind/weather.

The solo shelter in the picture is a Mountain Laurel Designs cuben fiber SoloMid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hammock? Better bring a parachute too.....

I think the strongest tent I've been in.....in heavy wind was my 12 sided tipi. Those tipis shed the wind like nothing else.
Too big for you though....maybe a smaller version? FWIW, I don't think a pyramid would be the same when it comes to wind.

I've used the std designs with doubled up poles....but if it has a side that cups in the wind-where the wind can grab it- its trouble. If you could add guyouts...or find something with a lot of guyouts- those are a must in places like Kodiak.

My 6 man Cabelas tent got blasted one year we had 90mph gusts on Kodiak [up high in early Aug]....broke 3 poles.

I've heard the tunnel type Hillys...and the Stephenson warmlites are good but no experience with them.

Otherwise, i got nuthin.

I’ve had great luck with mids on Kodiak, I’ve used them every year now for the last 5 years (twice in 2014), all on goat hunts in October with the only exception being 2015 was a September hunt, and 2014 was October and December. Cuben fiber, when staked down tight to the ground, with a pyramid shaped design, sheds wind with the best of them.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I took the BD Bibler tent on my Mtn. Goat hunt. Awesome bombproof tent. It withstood some really nasty weather. A smaller tipi would be more comfortable and lighter and should handle the mountain weather. A pack rat chewed through the Bibler tent and really pissed me off and then got into the pack and chewed the eye cups off of my friends Swarofski binoculars. Swarofski repaired them at no charge. I don’t like equipment failures when in the woods. Buy once, cry once as they say.

204guy

WKR
I'm not sure what's funnier the suggestion of a hammock or the fact that it's tied to a powerpole.

BRWNBR the Kifaru Sawtooth sheds wind like crazy and will give you way more room than any 3 person tent. But as with any non freestanding tent it will only be as strong as your stake points, which I'd guess is an issue in Kodiak goat country.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Silvertip is really solid in wind. And relatively quiet as well, which is something a lot of guys don't think about until the flapping drives them nuts at 3 am.

This is where the goats live on Kodiak. So how would you hang a hammock in this terrain?
3e22cb5698e47558e6d8c09ca5ae643c.jpg

09d9516d34468a00321f184995bc9bc0.jpg

a1a0e9f83685cd2469df69c90bab1867.jpg

b6e55882d5956e2dd09c1a72104e9e0d.jpg

Trees...we don't need no stink'n trees!

239664_30045_XL.jpg

I've hung from fences, farming equipment, rocks, power and telephone poles and even pitons. One time in the open country I put stakes into the ground and stretched my hammock across a ditch.

Last edited:

FreeRange

WKR
I’ve had great luck with mids on Kodiak, I’ve used them every year now for the last 5 years (twice in 2014), all on goat hunts in October with the only exception being 2015 was a September hunt, and 2014 was October and December. Cuben fiber, when staked down tight to the ground, with a pyramid shaped design, sheds wind with the best of them.

Do you think cuben has an advantage over the other sil-nylon and similar materials other than just being lighter? I could imagine for one that it stays tight when wet whereas the more conventional fabrics start to sag when wet and a sagging mid in high winds starts to become a sail. What weight of cuben are you using on the shelters you've used on Kodiak? What are the different mids you've used on Kodiak and how did their performance compare? My experiences in winds over 50 with mids has not been confidence inspiring but I'm curious to hear your observations.

As far as cuben being loud in windy conditions, I don’t think that it’s louder than anything else. If it’s pitched correctly and tight to the ground and tight in general with no slack in the fabric, it stays that way and it won’t loosen up like silnylon. I don’t own any type of a wind speed gauge and I don’t know how accurate my guesstimation is on some of the wind speeds during some of the storms that I have experienced on Kodiak, but on more than one occasion, when I got back to the city of Kodiak, I was told of gusts approaching 100 mph, and I know that I more than likely experienced at least that, since I was camped out well above tree line with only minimal natural protection. Fall storms on Kodiak are no joke and I think especially so when you’re having to deal with them in goat country.

As far as floorless spike shelters that I’ve used on the island, I started off with a Seek Outside LBO and used that for a couple years then started using CF. My first one was a BearPaw Wilderness Designs Pyra Tent 2, then a Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 2, a Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid, and a HMG Ultamid 4. I just picked up a Mountain Laurel Designs CF solo Patrol tarp, and I plan on using it extensively this summer. Hopefully I’ll have enough confidence in it to eventually use it on the island as well.
1b85a2ffc81208ef8eaca1ba21ee31b3.jpg

4ed122fb046b5c9ad8062a226acf0558.jpg

0d3012e4af96ecb849caec0b9b7a96fd.jpg

Tod osier

WKR
As far as cuben being loud in windy conditions, I don’t think that it’s louder than anything else. If it’s pitched correctly and tight to the ground and tight in general with no slack in the fabric, it stays that way and it won’t loosen up like silnylon. I don’t own any type of a wind speed gauge and I don’t know how accurate my guesstimation is on some of the wind speeds during some of the storms that I have experienced on Kodiak, but on more than one occasion, when I got back to the city of Kodiak, I was told of gusts approaching 100 mph, and I know that I more than likely experienced at least that, since I was camped out well above tree line with only minimal natural protection. Fall storms on Kodiak are no joke and I think especially so when you’re having to deal with them in goat country.

As far as floorless spike shelters that I’ve used on the island, I started off with a Seek Outside LBO and used that for a couple years then started using CF. My first one was a BearPaw Wilderness Designs Pyra Tent 2, then a Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 2, a Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid, and a HMG Ultamid 4. I just picked up a Mountain Laurel Designs CF solo Patrol tarp, and I plan on using it extensively this summer. Hopefully I’ll have enough confidence in it to eventually use it on the island as well.
1b85a2ffc81208ef8eaca1ba21ee31b3.jpg

4ed122fb046b5c9ad8062a226acf0558.jpg

0d3012e4af96ecb849caec0b9b7a96fd.jpg

Thanks for that. I really love our cuben flat tarp. I’m looking at family hot tents now and would look at cuben if that was an option. I don’t get excited about tents, but those cuben ones sure are close.

Here are a few more photos of Pyramid style shelters, in action, on Kodiak.
SO LBO
703e3d04f679aaccaa33a70a73798e21.jpg

SO LBO and BPWD Pyra tent 2.
5fcfabe961ffe187ec9f060cdc590eb1.jpg

HMG Ultamid 2
b318c2956a8676c22108bd65699feeb8.jpg

07f0b31220e46091c391c93bf2676497.jpg

12 year old on his first Kodiak goat hunt.
65fcc16170a0993d421ca294faaf0c9f.jpg

MLD SoloMid
91eca31a8a1e9c82ee0b0eb67fbbe2f7.jpg

HMG Ultamid 4
5ffe0e830ae86c9205f071ff575eddfc.jpg

I haven’t had a chance to use the CF Locus Gear Hapi on Kodiak yet, but it has, so far, performed as expected.

Beendare

WKR
Nice pic's AK....there is no doubt those low profile pyramid designs will shed the wind well.

i think some of the tall homegrown versions i've seen on this site in the DIY section might not fare as well.

It seems to me the cuben fabric will shed the wind a little better than other fabrics-being as slick as it is. I bet you can put a lot of tension on those guys too as Cuben is so much stronger.

Two color guy lines the Black is shock cord? I do that on our silnylon pyramid, but I could see a greater benefit with cuben.

Pics are awesome too!

Lot of differences in profile of the shelters.

Yeah, the black is some bungee shock cord. In the last pic of the Ultamid 4, I forgot to put the bungee cord on the panel guy outs but it did fine anyway (fortunately we didn’t have a bad storm). I’m glad you saw that though, because I didn’t think about it and, it’s definitely a good idea to try and cushion the blow from strong gusts.