Strongest/windproof one man tent?

I am curious if the silnylon mid is easier to contour to the ground to block wind as it has some stretch. Also which Bivy will you be running with the patrol tarp? Have you seen this yet Trout https://enlightenedequipment.com/recon/ Thoughts?

I don’t know if sil is better than CF, to fit tight to the ground or not. I like to pitch my floorless shelters a few inches up off the ground if possible. Obviously in strong winds you want to bring them down close to the ground, to avoid having them turn into a parachute, but I still like to have a little bit of a gap just for ventilation.
I have seen those bivy’s from EE and they look like some really good coverage for only being a little over 6 oz. Tim makes some great quilts, I just haven’t had the opportunity to lay my hands on one of his bivy’s yet. If they can be set up without too much difficulty and maintain that 5” tall, waterproof, bathtub bottom, it looks like it would be the perfect fit, in combo with a tarp. I either use a Ti Goat Kestrel or Borah Gear (both weighing 6 oz.) bivy, and I probably will just continue using one of them in combo with the Patrol tarp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Troutbum,

Do you still own all 0f those CF shelters or were they buy and test shelters before settling on your favorite? What is your favorite for 1 and for >1 person and why?

I do still own them all, with the exception of the PyraTent 2., and the Ultamid 2. The Pyra was my first CF shelter and I didn’t know if I was going to like them or not. It just so happened that I was able to find one on the used market for a very reasonable price, so that’s what I got initially. After using that one for a season, I decided that CF was definitely the direction I wanted to go. Having decided that, I went ahead and purchased the more expensive Ultamid 2 to see if they were in fact a better built shelter. When I first pitched the Ultamid , it was very obvious that it was a much better built shelter. After using it for a season or two, I decided that I wanted something a little bigger for two people with a lot of spare room, and also I wanted a solo shelter, so I sold the Ultamid 2 and bought a Ultamid 4 and the MLD SoloMid. Both of which IMO, are very well-built shelters. Then, after a few years of hearing about how great Locus Gear shelters were, I decided to purchase one of his to see what all the hype was about. I ended up getting the Hapi, about a year ago, but I haven’t used it enough (or used it in really nasty weather), to formulate any kind of an educated opinion. I just bought the MLD Patrol tarp a week or so ago, and I’m really looking forward to using it this upcoming summer. I just packaged up the Patrol tarp with all the guy lines, stakes, my small Xlite pad, Kestrel bivy, and 30° EE quilt into a large HMG cuben stuff pillow to see how it would all fit and what it would weigh. If I can make this system work for me, I think I’ll have my new complete sleep system swish.
10be64f5e734da31f4d08019f5e384e4.jpg

hope it works for you Greg, 2 1/2 lbs for a potentially great performing sleep system will be amazing!!

If you need bombproof, then you want a mountaineering tent.

The Rab Latok Summit is the strongest of the bunch, due to its low profile design (which sacrifices headroom for wind resistance.)

Latok Summit | Rab(R)

Mountain Hardwear Direkt 2 is slightly taller, but still very burly.

Direkt™ 2 Tent | MountainHardwear.com

I've had both of these tents in some extremely windy conditions, and they did fine. Either provides enough room for 1 person plus gear.

I do still own them all, with the exception of the PyraTent 2., and the Ultamid 2. The Pyra was my first CF shelter and I didn’t know if I was going to like them or not. It just so happened that I was able to find one on the used market for a very reasonable price, so that’s what I got initially. After using that one for a season, I decided that CF was definitely the direction I wanted to go. Having decided that, I went ahead and purchased the more expensive Ultamid 2 to see if they were in fact a better built shelter. When I first pitched the Ultamid , it was very obvious that it was a much better built shelter. After using it for a season or two, I decided that I wanted something a little bigger for two people with a lot of spare room, and also I wanted a solo shelter, so I sold the Ultamid 2 and bought a Ultamid 4 and the MLD SoloMid. Both of which IMO, are very well-built shelters. Then, after a few years of hearing about how great Locus Gear shelters were, I decided to purchase one of his to see what all the hype was about. I ended up getting the Hapi, about a year ago, but I haven’t used it enough (or used it in really nasty weather), to formulate any kind of an educated opinion. I just bought the MLD Patrol tarp a week or so ago, and I’m really looking forward to using it this upcoming summer. I just packaged up the Patrol tarp with all the guy lines, stakes, my small Xlite pad, Kestrel bivy, and 30° EE quilt into a large HMG cuben stuff pillow to see how it would all fit and what it would weigh. If I can make this system work for me, I think I’ll have my new complete sleep system swish.
10be64f5e734da31f4d08019f5e384e4.jpg

Wow.. That is some serious weight savings! Thanks for your write ups, helpful to read!

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve been emailing warmlite about their tents. They have offered a 12 month gauruntee against any weather Kodiak can throw at me. Not sold on their door and vestibule style but for the weight/space ratio they are pretty amazing. Cost is ridiculous though.

Shraggs

WKR
What about MSR twin sisters? Billed as above treeline shelter, will fit 2 easily but not all gear, snow flaps can go to ground or hinged open for ventilation- weighs 2 lbs without included poles, poles weigh a pound.

I’ve been emailing warmlite about their tents. They have offered a 12 month gauruntee against any weather Kodiak can throw at me. Not sold on their door and vestibule style but for the weight/space ratio they are pretty amazing. Cost is ridiculous though.

I have a Warmlite 3R . I've not experienced any serious wind in it, but it's light, and they have a reputation for being very wind resistant.

I've used a Warmlite 3R and 2R in some strong winds and they did extremely well. I have the 2C version now and have a single 9.4 inch MSR Groundhog Cyclone stake and 2 regular 7.5 inch groundhogs for staking it out. Once those are anchored in, I'm sure that it'd take a hurricane to try and move the thing. There is a bit of a learning curve to using a completely floored tent, but it's pretty simple and easy to keep clean and dry once you've done it a few times. I like to carry a small piece of silnylon to lay in the front of the tent to lay my boots and any wet gear on. Then, it's simple to clean out and that silnylon doubles as a place to put meat while processing in the field.

I've always had mine made with the large door and side windows.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I imagine a contractor bag or something for wet/cooking would work. I carry them
Anyway. I doubt I’d do the windows, I’d get the stabilizers, end liners, and larger doors though for sure.

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
I’m watching this thread closely as well. We used a Marmot Alpinist in mid-nov on Kodiak. I don’t think they make it anymore, but I’m really glad we had a 4 season mountaineering tent. The freight train I heard that first night still freaks me out. We also used an Msr Elixir, which performed great as well. Neither tent is ultralight. 47E1EDFE-81F4-4D44-9EAA-E700EF44F712.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had good luck with the Hille Soul as well, It's a good little tent that saved my butt in a few storms.

That warmlite sure as hell better be strong.... Expensive! Not a 1p tent but the stone glacier skyscraper has some pretty impressive stats and good price

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Ya they are a pricey tent! But if they will stay upright in a hurricane.... my last mountian tent was suppose to be a bomber tent. Almost a grand. It made it four days. I sent it back.
fea907b711f8543fe130a269a310eb8d.jpg

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Is that a single wall tent? Seems to have the same shape and rough make up of several of the other brands.

That Locus gear tent looks nice, but at almost $900 if my money conversion is correct, is pretty steep. Looks just like the Bibler i-Tents and I'd be curious how their fabric handles condensation. The bibler Toddtex, fuzzy interior fabric on Biblers had impressed me over the years on its ability to control moisture. Those inner pole design tents can be tricky to put up at times and extreme care is needed to get the poles into the corner pockets. I wouldn't let any client just climb in and set those up Jake. Warmlites are fairly foolproof to setup and tent damage would be tough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That Locus gear tent looks nice, but at almost $900 if my money conversion is correct, is pretty steep. Looks just like the Bibler i-Tents and I'd be curious how their fabric handles condensation. The bibler Toddtex, fuzzy interior fabric on Biblers had impressed me over the years on its ability to control moisture. Those inner pole design tents can be tricky to put up at times and extreme care is needed to get the poles into the corner pockets. I wouldn't let any client just climb in and set those up Jake. Warmlites are fairly foolproof to setup and tent damage would be tough.

Maybe I used the wrong monetary conversion.....might be closer to $1200, which is insane if correct

With the current exchange rate I came up with $1160, before shipping,for the cheaper model (without the mesh door panel), and $1300 with the mesh. I’m not really understanding the construction of it though. The website says it’s cuben fiber with a eVent laminate which makes it waterproof yet breathable. It’s my understanding/experience that CF is completely waterproof and not breathable, I don’t really understand how you could put a breathable laminate on it, and now the CF is breathable. I’d be really interested to see how this works.