Strongest/windproof one man tent?

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like they are bonding the dyneema thread to the event to increase strength and getting rid of one of the event layers which would still make it breathable and waterproof and lighter ? I have an integral designs wedge which is event but weighs more than this and is smaller hmmm.

That fabric sounds very intriguing, but I can't say I'm about to part with that kind of coin for a lighter i-tent. I've bent my aluminum poles before setting up the Bibler. That could get extremely ugly if a carbon pole blew up trying to setup that eJedi tent. Might need to invoke Yoda to repair at that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That fabric sounds very intriguing, but I can't say I'm about to part with that kind of coin for a lighter i-tent. I've bent my aluminum poles before setting up the Bibler. That could get extremely ugly if a carbon pole blew up trying to setup that eJedi tent. Might need to invoke Yoda to repair at that point.

I hear ya, not a whole lot of tent for the $$, but then pretty much all of the tipi's and CF floorless shelters aren't a whole lot of tent/shelter for the $, as far as I'm concerned. Speaking of aluminum poles, one thing that I thought was impressive regarding the Warmlite is how large of a diameter the poles are, for the size of the shelter. Obviously with the more robust poles, you sacrifice wt., but it would definitely be worth it to guarantee your shelter staying upright in a storm. One night while goat hunting on the Hepburn Penn., we had a storm come through and my buddy's 4 season Mountain Hardware tent had an aluminum pole snap. It happened in the middle of the night and by the time they woke up and realized what had happened, the wind had pretty much destroyed their rainfly with the sharp edges of the broken pole. Needless to say, bad things can happen really quickly when aluminum tent poles break.

The Warmlite poles are thin walled and pre-bent, so there's no stress on them at rest. I'll weigh them and compare to standard type Easton poles.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
A broke pole in a hurricane equals shredded tent most times. It get ugly quick!the pre bent poles I think is a clever idea. Warmlight told me they will gauruntee it against any weather I can find for 12 months. Now I’ll get my calmest driest goat season ever.

A broke pole in a hurricane equals shredded tent most times. It get ugly quick!the pre bent poles I think is a clever idea. Warmlight told me they will gauruntee it against any weather I can find for 12 months. Now I’ll get my calmest driest goat season ever.
Let me know Jake the next time you go goat hunting with your new tent. I'd like to plan my hunt around that same time because I know just how beautiful Kodiak can be, I just haven't been fortunate enough to experience it much. Oh, maybe I'll get lucky and draw a fall bear tag as well, so not only will it be guaranteed good weather but also guaranteed zero bears.:)

The Warmlite poles are thin walled and pre-bent, so there's no stress on them at rest. I'll weigh them and compare to standard type Easton poles.

I just assumed they were a heavier duty pole based on how big they looked on the video. Some where, I think it was also on the website, I saw that the poles weighed approx. 1 lb.

Beendare

WKR
I think those mountaineering tents are built well....but at 6'4" I've never found one I fit in without being wedged against the walls. And they consider 43" wide room for two? Not 2 big guys thats for sure.....

The footprints on those are deceiving. You lose floor space due to the ramp of the walls....so 86" is really only 6 feet.

Just did a little weighing. The larger diameter Warmlite poles measure 0.615" Diameter and average 0.67 oz per foot. My Hilleberg Soulo poles average 0.626 oz per foot. The rear pole on the warmlite 2c is smaller diameter and total weight for both poles is 10.6 ounces. Total weight for all Soulo poles comes in at 1lb 6.4oz.

dotman

WKR
I think those mountaineering tents are built well....but at 6'4" I've never found one I fit in without being wedged against the walls. And they consider 43" wide room for two? Not 2 big guys thats for sure.....

The footprints on those are deceiving. You lose floor space due to the ramp of the walls....so 86" is really only 6 feet.

That’s because only small guys dare go into the wilderness 😜

Jimss

WKR
Glancing through the photos of tents/tarps with giant gaps between the ground and the tent/tarp has me wondering what the heck happens when the wind blows and it's raining/snowing? I wouldn't exactly say any of those are "bomber=proof". I haven't read through the posts but a common tent used throughout Alaska is Hillebergs. Most Hillebergs are 4 season and pretty darn "bomberproof!"

Glancing through the photos of tents/tarps with giant gaps between the ground and the tent/tarp has me wondering what the heck happens when the wind blows and it's raining/snowing? I wouldn't exactly say any of those are "bomber=proof". I haven't read through the posts but a common tent used throughout Alaska is Hillebergs. Most Hillebergs are 4 season and pretty darn "bomberproof!"
That is the only thing that has been holding me back with the new stone glacier tent. They told me the fly is adjustable though, or that you can pack snow around the edges if need be. I am still planning on it being my next purchase though, just need to save a bit for it. The specs are quite incredible for volume/ weight/ price

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I had a hilleberg. I used it in Alaska. I wouldn’t give it to my worst enemy. Never seen such a wet tent. Emailed them. And they said they carry a towel and cover their sleeping bags with trash bags to stay dry. That’s what hilleberg suggested for their own tent!!! That was their enan tent. I have one other two man tent anjan gtx that I have enjoyed so far. But I wouldn’t trust it on the mountian of Kodiak. Sheep hunting yes, but not where I’m expecting 70+mph winds.

When it blows hard, you just pin it down tight to the ground. Rain isn't a problem as long as site selection is proper, ie., you don't have water running through your tent/shelter, and if blowing spin drift is an issue, again, you just pin it tighter to the ground or pile snow up around it. I was skeptical at first as well, but once you figure it out, you quickly realize just how bomber a Mid or tipi can be. I'm sure that if you could go back in time and ask the American Indians that survived on the great plains for thousands of year using just tipi's for shelters, they could explain it through example. If weight/bulk is not an issue, I'll take a Alaska Tent and Tarp Arctic Oven over anything. I've spent too much time in an Artika with the extreme poles, during some pretty major storms, not to have the utmost respect for that shelter.

deadwolf

WKR
I like both my Hillebergs, Nammatj 3, and Enan. No condensation issues whatsoever, and the Nammatj was in three nights of hell wind two years ago that I thought would bring it down. No issues at all. I’d even dare to say I’d consider using the 2 man version as a solo shelter at times too. Nice thing with the Hillebergs too is the ability to be floorless if you choose to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
No condensation in your enan?!? That’s great news! I’ve got one here at the house my kids use as a fort because Hilleberg wouldn’t take it back! The screen on the door of my enan will hold water. We poured water on it and watched. Nothing happened.
The only upside to hillebergs for me is the huge vestibules. Those are nice! I’m looking at this warmlite and it has no vestibules but the main body of the tent is huge for less weight than a hilleberg. Who knows. Six of this half dozen of that....

Beendare

WKR
That eVent bonded to Dyneema fibers [without the Mylar I assume] sounds like one heck of a good tent fabric.
____

Poles breaking; The only time I've had it happen was on Kodiak in what was 90 mph winds. It was those fiberglass poles with the cast metal ends on a 6 man Cabelas guide tent. One of our guys must have pulled out letting the one side concave enough to snap 2 poles. We had cots, so we wedged the cots at a 45 deg angle against the concave and rode out the night like that.

I think we are talking about a much lower quality product when comparing tents like the Cabelas and the NF to Hille or Warmlites. I sent my Cabelas tent back and got the Aluminum pole version and have since used it with no problems. I did duct tape each pole crossing, and reinforced some of the crucial guyouts- no problems. [Hat tip to the Island Air guys for that advice]

Taping those pole crossings increases the strength of those tents a lot. Just an idea; Another option might be to buy a tent like the NF tent in Brwnbears pic, or Cabelas, etc and buying a few more matching poles to double them up in critical spots. That plus taping would make a cheaper tent pretty bulletproof.

akrdkill

WKR
Have you looked into exped tents? Think I saw a few of them at campsaver
I see the kifaru sawtooth just went on sale also ?
The new stone glacier tent looks interesting also
Will be interesting to see what you go with, to bad you couldn’t have tested a few in last weeks winds!!