Strongest/windproof one man tent?

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Haven’t pulled the trigger yet. But Stevenson’s warmlight is rated for up to 160mph and for the ratio of space to weight that’s pretty incredible. But crap. 1500 bucks makes me gag. Then again I spent a grand on the last tent that weighed 15lbs and lasted a week in the winds of Kodiak. 1500
To stay warm and dry for who knows how many years really ain’t that horrible of a deal.

bcimport

WKR
I’ve got nothing but praise for my MLD duomid. We got pounded with some relentless wind for day after day in sheep country this year. The tent took it all and never failed. The first night I’m pretty sure I didn’t sleep as I was sure that the tent was going to explode or the pole was going to fail. Not one popped stitch and I am a believer. I’ve run a hilleberg akto and several others in the past and this was better than any of them when things got ugly.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Is that duomid floorless single wall type tarp?

The winds we end up camping in on Kodiak can hit over 100mph pretty quick and for days at a time. One goat hunt I did they were clocked a couple ridges over At 120mph. I’ve never had wind like that in Sheep country. Hope i never do! Lol

bcimport

WKR
Yes the duomid is a single wall floor less shelter. No idea what our winds clocked this year but they were strong enough that a grown man without a pack on had a hard time staying on his feet. Our sheep area is on the western side of Bc and gets the big coastal winds. I have no idea if they were as bad as what you describe on kodiak, I just know it was big sustained wind that killed a lot of tents this year but thankfully the supermid held up.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the duomid is a single wall floor less shelter. No idea what our winds clocked this year but they were strong enough that a grown man without a pack on had a hard time staying on his feet. Our sheep area is on the western side of Bc and gets the big coastal winds. I have no idea if they were as bad as what you describe on kodiak, I just know it was big sustained wind that killed a lot of tents this year but thankfully the supermid held up.

I've hunted that area in Spatsizi so i know the weather is brutal.Did you order the Duomid in Cuben or Silnylon it's the only decision i have left.

I think a lot of folks don't give Mids enough credit, or they're unfamiliar with them and are intimidated by the idea of using them in severe weather. I've been using CF Mids on Kodiak now, every year, for the past 5+ years and have experienced some pretty unbelievable storms, but that 'ol pyramid design just hangs tough.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I bet you BC boys can get some wind as well!
I can’t bring myself to go floorless
Or back to a single wall. Maybe if I didn’t have a client along I’d try it out but not with a client along. But that weight and simplicity sure is tempting. Not sure how I feel about the wet ground factor.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I think a lot of folks don't give Mids enough credit, or they're unfamiliar with them and are intimidated by the idea of using them in severe weather. I've been using CF Mids on Kodiak now, every year, for the past 5+ years and have experienced some pretty unbelievable storms, but that 'ol pyramid design just hangs tough.

I should get one and bring it along with a real tent and work my confidence up with it
Or just set it up and sleep in my real tent till I am used to the idea. Lol I already carry a Noah tarp.

Scratch that. Just looked at the prices.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I dunno why they put those little vents in those pyramids. I put a big ole vent in my tipi and it breathes well....and doesn't affect its strength in the wind.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I should get one and bring it along with a real tent and work my confidence up with it
Or just set it up and sleep in my real tent till I am used to the idea. Lol I already carry a Noah tarp.

Scratch that. Just looked at the prices.

No, what you should do is go balls deep and get a ultamid 4 or the ultamid 2 and the insert for it that has the bathtub floor. And then report back to me if it’s worth my money or not!!

The ultamid 2 with insert is 40.75 oz. that's under 3 lbs. for 63 sq ft.

The ultamid 4 with its insert is 51.04 oz. that's 3.19 #s. For 85 sq ft.

Can’t wait for your report back Jake!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Hmmmm I’ll get right on that. When do you need the report by?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Hmmmm I’ll get right on that. When do you need the report by?

No rush, this time next year will do. I have some hemming and hawing to do.

And if I want to have a bride at the end of the aisle in November, I think I’ll have to just rock my Hilleberg Anjan this fall.

Akicita

WKR
I have spent countless nights in high alpine extreme weather in my Hilleberg Atko and Wechsel Pathfinder. Both are great tents but I recently borrowed a Hilleberg Soulo for a ski mountaineering trip in the central Rockies and came away quite impressed. During that trip I experienced severe weather and winds in excess of 60MPH (based on my subject matter experience) and remained comfortable and safe. As for condensation - I did and typically do experience some in cold and wet weather, but I have learned over the years to mitigate and deal with condensation with experienced means to keep it to a minimum.

3wixOPG.png

Last edited:
No, what you should do is go balls deep and get a ultamid 4 or the ultamid 2 and the insert for it that has the bathtub floor. And then report back to me if it’s worth my money or not!!

The ultamid 2 with insert is 40.75 oz. that's under 3 lbs. for 63 sq ft.

The ultamid 4 with its insert is 51.04 oz. that's 3.19 #s. For 85 sq ft.

Can’t wait for your report back Jake!!

Skip the insert all together, it’s just wasted weight as far as I’m concerned. Ultamid 4 all in, including dedicated carbon fiber pole.
b84b37fd8836fb3e7a8f7372cde2c71e.jpg

621caf18f76af62af330f754785d4c90.jpg

Or shave a few oz. and go for the 2, and still have plenty of room for two people.

63d3337247a18567d9acdf4d34ac1b46.jpg

bf26a26140690d4638b39a54f0c49069.jpg

Beendare

WKR
I have spent countless nights in high alpine extreme weather in my Hilleberg Atko and Wechsel Pathfinder. Both are great tents but I recently borrowed a Hilleberg Soulo for a ski mountaineering trip in the central Rockies and came away quite impressed. During that trip I experienced severe weather and winds in excess of 60MPH (based on my subject matter experience) and remained comfortable and safe. As for condensation - I did and typically do experience some in cold and wet weather, but I have learned over the years to mitigate and deal with condensation with experienced means to keep it to a minimum.

3wixOPG.png

That looks like fun....grin

as.ks.ak

WKR
Skip the insert all together, it’s just wasted weight as far as I’m concerned. Ultamid 4 all in, including dedicated carbon fiber pole.
b84b37fd8836fb3e7a8f7372cde2c71e.jpg

621caf18f76af62af330f754785d4c90.jpg

Or shave a few oz. and go for the 2, and still have plenty of room for two people.

63d3337247a18567d9acdf4d34ac1b46.jpg

bf26a26140690d4638b39a54f0c49069.jpg

Do you just use the TI bivy to keep you off the wet ground? Or do you carry tyvek or something if you have to pitch after it’s been raining for a few days? That’s the only reason I was consider no the insert...

Do you just use the TI bivy to keep you off the wet ground? Or do you carry tyvek or something if you have to pitch after it’s been raining for a few days? That’s the only reason I was consider no the insert...

I just use the bivy to keep my quilt/pad contained and keep everything clean and dry. I used a Helinox cot for the first time this past season so I didn't really need the bivy. The bivy does also come in handy if bugs are an issue, but they never have been for me on any of my mountain hunts. I've never used anything else other than the bivy, for ground protection.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I just use the bivy to keep my quilt/pad contained and keep everything clean and dry. I used a Helinox cot for the first time this past season so I didn't really need the bivy. The bivy does also come in handy if bugs are an issue, but they never have been for me on any of my mountain hunts. I've never used anything else other than the bivy, for ground protection.

What are your thoughts on the helinox cot? I’ve been eyeing those for quite a while.