Shelter System, floorless Tarp/tipi: ground cloth or ultralight bivy preference?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Primary use is May-October, 6-10,000 ft. Looking to hear some experienced opinions from folks running similar setups.

Ive done the ultralight 3 season tent, Hilleberg 3-season route, SO BT-2, SO DST tarp. I’ve either sold them all, or in the case of the hille, lost it to a bear. I’m about to purchase a new shelter.

After going to the tarp and a piece of Tyvek, I swore to go back to a damn tent. Just didn’t like dealing with all of the wind with the tarp. No matter the floorless shelter, the Tyvek ground cloth is the thing I hate - I slide like crazy. Silicone on my x-lite pad didn’t do much and peeled off. I run a Sierra designs quilt.

I’ve been looking at getting the new Stone Glacier tent or a Hille Niak......but Id like to just use a SO silvertip (Much preferred a mid over a tarp) but can’t get over the Tyvek slipping thing. Silvertip seems like a versatile option since I can put a nest in it for the lady/dog. And I can run it floorless. May finally spring for a Sawtooth.

Should I just can the Tyvek idea and do the bivy? What’s everyone’s preference? I like the bivy idea for containing the quilt/pad, draft resistance and bug protection. If you’re running Tyvek, any tips to avoid sliding all over the place?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Also interested to hear current recommendations for ultralight bivy sacks. Looking at the MLD solo product at the moment.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
You could buy a footprint for one of the various 1 or 2 person tents and use that as your ground sheet. But I'm not totally sure that would cure your problem.

For UL bivy's I use either a Ti goat Kestrel or a Borah Gear, both at 6 oz. I've never gone the Tyvek route because I like keeping my quilt and pad contained. It's worked well for me so far.

Primary use is May-October, 6-10,000 ft. Looking to hear some experienced opinions from folks running similar setups.

Ive done the ultralight 3 season tent, Hilleberg 3-season route, SO BT-2, SO DST tarp. I’ve either sold them all, or in the case of the hille, lost it to a bear. I’m about to purchase a new shelter.

After going to the tarp and a piece of Tyvek, I swore to go back to a damn tent. Just didn’t like dealing with all of the wind with the tarp. No matter the floorless shelter, the Tyvek ground cloth is the thing I hate - I slide like crazy. Silicone on my x-lite pad didn’t do much and peeled off. I run a Sierra designs quilt.

I’ve been looking at getting the new Stone Glacier tent or a Hille Niak......but Id like to just use a SO silvertip (Much preferred a mid over a tarp) but can’t get over the Tyvek slipping thing. Silvertip seems like a versatile option since I can put a nest in it for the lady/dog. And I can run it floorless. May finally spring for a Sawtooth.

Should I just can the Tyvek idea and do the bivy? What’s everyone’s preference? I like the bivy idea for containing the quilt/pad, draft resistance and bug protection. If you’re running Tyvek, any tips to avoid sliding all over the place?

Thanks!

There is no reason that it has to be tyvek. I use an old footprint for a 2p northface tent I used to have. To get rid of sleeping under a tarp because you dont like tyvek is to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or maybe I misunderstood you.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
There is no reason that it has to be tyvek. I use an old footprint for a 2p northface tent I used to have. To get rid of sleeping under a tarp because you dont like tyvek is to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or maybe I misunderstood you.

Sure, it doesnt have to be Tyvek, I agree - I prefer mids over tarps, so my intent is to explore better practices for ground sheets or suggested Bivy sacks for this type of application. I’m not using a plain tarp like the DST as a shelter moving forward; I like to be able to get things more enclosed when the weather hits, which happens to be often.

whitingja

WKR
So the Silvertip also has a nest that fits in it. I am getting ready to get one. You can then go floor less or use the nest depending on the situation.

You could use an emergency blanket instead of the tyvek.The kind that is red on one side and silver on the other.They are less slippery to begin with and they have grommets on the corner s so you can stake it in place

Pn8hall

WKR
Did you do anything to soften up the tyvek? I put mine in the washing machine without soap and washed on cold for about 5 cycles. Made it come out like a tyvek jump suit that painters use. Super soft, quiet, and still waterproof.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
You could use an emergency blanket instead of the tyvek.The kind that is red on one side and silver on the other.They are less slippery to begin with and they have grommets on the corner s so you can stake it in place

Good idea, thanks will try that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Did you do anything to soften up the tyvek? I put mine in the washing machine without soap and washed on cold for about 5 cycles. Made it come out like a tyvek jump suit that painters use. Super soft, quiet, and still waterproof.

I didn’t - mine is still pretty stiff/loud so I’ll give that a shots well. Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Thin painted on strips of silicone sealer bro...on your floor...and on your inflatable pad..keep you from sliding.

I go back and forth on these shelters. Nobody says you have to have just one! grin

i think most guys are best served by a lightweight tent....you can find multiple options under 3#. I've sworn off bivys....too many problems with moisture.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the single nest from six moons. I added corner struts so I can set it us a bathtub floor in the floorless shelters. I have long guylines that reach out and pick up the stakes on the shelter. I cant stand not having my pad and my bag constrained a little bit. Bearpaw makes nice sized ground sheets with strut corners. MLD makes nests with corner struts already in.

duchntr

WKR
Ive used the ground cloth setup a handful of times (tyvek) and don't really mess with it anymore. As far as bivy's I have a borah snowyside event bivy that I exclusively use now. I've tried a lightweight bivy from borah (m90) and didn't feel it offered that much more protection over the dwr coating on my sleeping bag so ill either put my pad right on the ground or ill use the snowyside. When Im hunting with my wife in buggy conditions I use a bearpaw 2p nest. For draft resistance a bivy will certainly help.

Why not ditch the ground sheet all together? Just asking since I have yet to use a groundsheet under my tarp.

I appreciated having the tyvek to put my feet on after taking off my boots to get in the sack or when changing socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure, it doesnt have to be Tyvek, I agree - I prefer mids over tarps, so my intent is to explore better practices for ground sheets or suggested Bivy sacks for this type of application. I’m not using a plain tarp like the DST as a shelter moving forward; I like to be able to get things more enclosed when the weather hits, which happens to be often.

I have not used a DST, but with just a regular flat tarp, you can pitch it like a tent, very enclosed. But like you are saying, a mid lets you zip a door shut. From my experience, I would steer clear of a bivy.... Just way too enclosed. Lots of mids to choose from. A mid and a ground sheet would be nice. Forget the tyvek, lol.

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
what kind of tyvek are you using? I'd imagine the house wrap is loud and slippery but the tyvek 1443 isn't loud or slippery, at least for me.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thin painted on strips of silicone sealer bro...on your floor...and on your inflatable pad..keep you from sliding.

I go back and forth on these shelters. Nobody says you have to have just one! grin

i think most guys are best served by a lightweight tent....you can find multiple options under 3#. I've sworn off bivys....too many problems with moisture.

My silicone always seems to peel off, I’ll have to try another product. I totally agree on multiple shelters, there’s no such thing as one that’s totally optimized for all situations.

On your bivy comment and moisture - did you have problems with the waterproof/breathable kind, or the really ultralight kind?

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
what kind of tyvek are you using? I'd imagine the house wrap is loud and slippery but the tyvek 1443 isn't loud or slippery, at least for me.

I bought some from Z packs a couple years ago. They advertise it as “homewrap.”

I haven’t heard of or tried 1443, will check it out. Thanks!