EE Enigma

cfdjay

WKR
In the market for an EE Enigma quilt. Have any of you guys ever gotten a quilt that was actually too warm? I'm thinking if I just don't wrap myself and leave plenty of airspace it wouldn't ever be "too warm". Keep in mind I have no experience with quilts. I'm eyeing up the 10 deg one.

colonel00

WKR
That's actually the beauty of quilts. You can open the footbox to vent, kick a leg out or even just use it flat like a regular comforter. I'm a very warm sleeper and overheat quickly in regular bags unless it's really cold out. A few weeks ago, I had a 10* EE quilt while camping in Southern California where the temps were maybe only in the 50's. No issue at all with overheating.

ljalberta

WKR
Open it up wide if it's too hot. I had one night with my 10* quilt and it was about 60* out. Wayyyyy too hot so I simply draped it over a small part of my body.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
That's actually the beauty of quilts. You can open the footbox to vent, kick a leg out or even just use it flat like a regular comforter. I'm a very warm sleeper and overheat quickly in regular bags unless it's really cold out. A few weeks ago, I had a 10* EE quilt while camping in Southern California where the temps were maybe only in the 50's. No issue at all with overheating.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. The Enigma doesn't have the footbox. Would you recommend the Revelation for that option?

colonel00

WKR
Well, I personally love having the ability to open and close the footbox and I've never really had any issues with drafts getting to my feet when it's cold. To me, if you can't open it up, you just have half a mummy bag. I was never a fan of tight footboxes in a mummy bag. I do tolerate it when closing down the quilt because at that point it's usually pretty cold. But, even when I have the footbox cinched up, I typically leave the leg area unzipped for extra movement space.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Well, I personally love having the ability to open and close the footbox and I've never really had any issues with drafts getting to my feet when it's cold. To me, if you can't open it up, you just have half a mummy bag. I was never a fan of tight footboxes in a mummy bag. I do tolerate it when closing down the quilt because at that point it's usually pretty cold. But, even when I have the footbox cinched up, I typically leave the leg area unzipped for extra movement space.

Makes sense. Making me rethink my quilt choice now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Where do you live? You might be able to find someone nearby that could let you check one out. Heck, if you covered the shipping both ways, I'd send you one of mine.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Where do you live? You might be able to find someone nearby that could let you check one out. Heck, if you covered the shipping both ways, I'd send you one of mine.

I’m in Ohio. I literally don’t know anyone who backcountry hunts the way we do.

I have 30, 20, 10 & 0 degree Revelation quilts and only pack the 0* now. With venting it's perfect for any hunt.

FURMAN

WKR
I have always slept cold. I got a 0 degree wide. I spent around 45 nights in it this year down to around 15 degrees at the coldest and around 50 at the warmest. It kept me warm and when it was warm out you can just open in up a little to cool yourself. I will never go back to a mummy.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR

I appreciate the offer Brad but I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll be ordering one asap.

Deepshax

WKR
I have a 20* Enigma, its pretty warm and light. I like the sewn foot box, its not tight or restrictive (atleast on my body) and I move a lot in my sleep. I figure if its cold enough to warrant 20* insulation the extra warmth provided by the sewn box will be welcomed. I have a 40* revelation for the warmer months I can unzip to vent if needed.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wooster, small world. I've been back and forth between the Enigma for the weight savings and the revelation for the versatility. I can't decide.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
I live in Wooster, small world. I've been back and forth between the Enigma for the weight savings and the revelation for the versatility. I can't decide.

It almost sounds as though the Revelation is worth the versatility for added couple ounces.

HeadnWest

WKR
I just picked up a EE 20º Revelation for $219 on Mass Drop. For that price you could at least try it out and sell it to make your money back.

tymcewen

FNG
i have a 20 degree one for sale if you are still interested. synthetic insulation. enlightened equipment.