Cimarron Center Pole

Picked up a Cimarron but didn't order a center pole yet because until fall I won't be picking it in anywhere and plan to make one to use until then. My question is, is the Cimarron center pole the only way to go as far as dependability, strength and overall function? REI has one for 34.99 but it doesn't break down as small. Debated on the double trekking pole option but wanted some people's experience with that too. Thanks for any input!

4ester

WKR
I have the cheap one from REI. No issues at all. I broke my BD Alpine Carbons trying the double trekking pole option. I’d go Aluminum if you are gonna try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got that one from R E I ,I sawed the pin off of the top and cut off the length I didn't need and got the weight down to 10 oz.
* mine is for a silvertip

Last edited:
I joined two black diamond trekking poles together by removing one section and jamming the tip of the other in the shortened pole. It held up to heavy winds and snow piling up just fine.

colonel00

WKR
I have three options that I use. I have a metal pole from another tent but I would equate it to the REI pole thae many people use. If going UL, trekking poles work great in anything but heavy snow. Finally, if you think you'll use your trekking poles during the hunt and don't want to "waste" them on the shelter, I have carbon fiber poles from Ruta Locura. Now, CF can fail under certain stresses but so can anything else. I will say that Ruta Locura has earned my business by standing behind their products that in all honestly, failed not due to their fault.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have the CF pole from SO. No issues at all with it. To me the extra dough was worth spending on it. If it ever breaks it will likely be because I did something stupid...

tttoadman

WKR
We broke the small REI pole in heavy winds the first time we used it. I traded it for the 1" pole and chopped it down to fit the length. Just a tidbit...I cut the bottom pin off to about 3/8" and had my guys cut me a 3"dia aluminum plate for a ground plate. Fits nicely in the bag.

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
We use the REI pole ,both for the cimmaron and the BT2, no issues with it yet , even had a hell of a snow load on it this year . We do have the carbon poles for each tent but use the REI pole to get the tens a little higher for airflow

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought the cimarron myself, delivered tomorrow. Also didn’t buy the center pole but did pick up the trekking pole connector.
Could someone post the link to the REI pole?? I can’t find it

colonel00

WKR
Just bought the cimarron myself, delivered tomorrow. Also didn’t buy the center pole but did pick up the trekking pole connector.
Could someone post the link to the REI pole?? I can’t find it

It's made by Kelty I believe. They have two sizes.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
ad57c78c154a654a785abb6e84b963ea.jpg

Found these are they it? Would be an awesome price. Couldn’t justify the cost of seekoutsides.
Just need to find a good stove now.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought the aluminum pole from mytrail.com for my Cimmaron it’s just like the adjustable Kifaru center pole, just lighter and has shock cord.

Last edited:
Picked up a Cimarron but didn't order a center pole yet because until fall I won't be picking it in anywhere and plan to make one to use until then. My question is, is the Cimarron center pole the only way to go as far as dependability, strength and overall function? REI has one for 34.99 but it doesn't break down as small. Debated on the double trekking pole option but wanted some people's experience with that too. Thanks for any input!

Didn’t your Cimmaron come with a pole? My Redcliff came with a pole and MSR groundhogs.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the ones from REI, but ended up getting one from Rita Locura. It’s for my DIY pyramid and was able to give him the height at the peak and we talked about how much adjustability I wanted. A ways more money, but it fits my tent great and is pretty dang light. Plus, it was really good customer service dealing with them.

Jeremy

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Didnt want carbon fiber, snap too easy

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why don't you just buy a custom aluminum pole in whatever length you want from Bearpaw Wilderness designs and be done with it? You won't have to modify anything and a helluva lot cheaper than carbon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat and am looking at pole options. I'm a noob to ALL of this and have no idea what to get. What diameter aluminum poles will be good for the Cimarron? When looking at adjustable poles, does it make sense to get something that goes over 72" (Cimarron's height according to SO)? I emailed Bearpaw and the one they recommended was adjustable from 64"-72" (not sure about diameter of aluminum, waiting for a reply to my second email) and I'm wondering if it'd be better to try and get something that goes 68" - 76" to get a few inches of adjustability in both directions.

It seems like Quest Outfitters & Tentpole Technologies sell the same Easton aluminum tubes as Bearpaw as well but I'm not sure if they have adjustable sections. At list those are not listed on their sites unless I'm missing something.

For the REI pole, most folks getting the smaller one (max 79", 13oz), right? The big one seems too damn heavy at 1lb 11oz.

Edit:
Racks_Reps, did you decide on any particular option? If so, how do you like it?