Base Camp Shelters

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations on shelters for 3-6 guys. We will be using this in mostly WA, MT and ID, September through December.

We have incredibly sandy/ashy dirt where we deer hunt, and super rocky ground where we elk hunt. We have been using a Tentipi Safir 15 (excellent piece of equipment) but the ground is just too soft/hard to stake it into. This past year we had a 70 MPH wind gust come through deer camp and it blew the whole thing down, fun times. Shed 48 hours of pouring rain and two weeks of snow like a champ though, going to be hard to top that.

I should note that two of our hunters are older and need to sleep on cots, so we need a tent with some height to it. We also like being able to have a stove in the tent, and sod flaps are a nice feature we enjoyed in the Tentipi.

Thanks for any input!

OP
The Ri Guy
Is weight a factor or are you rolling this outa the back of a truck?

Weight in terms of packing it in is a non-factor. This shelter would only be used where we can drive in, drop the tailgate, and set it up.

Weight in terms of if the three of us young guys can man handle it while the veterans watch and drink beer, is a factor!

BRWNBR

WKR
Any reason a wall tent hasn’t been considered? Sod flaps, floor, stove,room to stand/cook, put cots. Get any size you need

OP
The Ri Guy
Any reason a wall tent hasn’t been considered? Sod flaps, floor, stove,room to stand/cook, put cots. Get any size you need

Wall tent is definitely a consideration, although we don't know anything about any of the manufacturers that make them. Figured it was also wise to see what else is out there we may not be aware of.

8 man Alaska Guide Dome tent with a vestibule if you can find one

We have a 4 man that has seen better days, the older crowd doesn't like having to hunch down to get in them. Also don't think you can put a stove in them?

If $$ is also a non issue, you won't find a more comfortable, bombproof, wood stove compatible tent than an Alaska Tent and Tarp Arctic Oven. I feel pretty confident that anybody that has any experience with this tent will agree.www.alaskatentandtarp.com

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
I personally prefer shelters without a floor. I go in and out enough taking off boots got to be a pain. You can put a ground cloth by your cot if you want.

Ended up switching from a Kodiak Canvas to a SeekOutside Tipi. In my case I wanted something lighter and easier than a wall tent because I'm often solo, but wall tent might work well for you if space / weight isn't an issue. They will be by far the most comfortable once set up.

sndmn11

WKR
Wall tent is definitely a consideration, although we don't know anything about any of the manufacturers that make them. Figured it was also wise to see what else is out there we may not be aware of.

A wall tent sounds right up your alley, and I am the Sales Manager at Davis Tent. Feel free to give us a call 877-Elk-Camp (355-2267) and we can tell you about the advantages of buying from the manufacturer, and a USA made product, rather than an overseas made product sold by someone with a warehouse and a website.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Seekoutside 12 man tipi with two liners and a stove. It works great for 4 guys with cots in the cold and up to 7-8 in warmer weather. The floorless part is awesome for walking in and out with your boots on and we put down small patches of outdoor carpet in the sleeping areas.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello, Tyler Beck with Wall Tent Shop here and we would love to earn your business.

Our tents comes standard with all the features that you should expect in a high quality Wall Tent.

Yes, some our products are made overseas but we refuse to use any substandard products that come out of China like some other companies will. We also sell tents that made here in the USA if that is something you prefer.

So you are aware, all canvas used in tents within the United States comes from overseas. Just because the canvas is treated in the states doesn't mean it was made here. The same company that manufactures our tents, makes our canvas, and has been doing it since 1869.

Please shoot us an email or give us a call at 1800 234 1150 if you have any questions.

- Wall Tent Shop

OP
The Ri Guy
If $$ is also a non issue, you won't find a more comfortable, bombproof, wood stove compatible tent than an Alaska Tent and Tarp Arctic Oven. I feel pretty confident that anybody that has any experience with this tent will agree.www.alaskatentandtarp.com

$ is a non-issue, those tents look pretty awesome. If you have experience with them, are the floors removable at all?

Great suggestion, thanks!

I personally prefer shelters without a floor. I go in and out enough taking off boots got to be a pain. You can put a ground cloth by your cot if you want.

Ended up switching from a Kodiak Canvas to a SeekOutside Tipi. In my case I wanted something lighter and easier than a wall tent because I'm often solo, but wall tent might work well for you if space / weight isn't an issue. They will be by far the most comfortable once set up.

S/O was something we were looking at to start. However, where we hunt there are a ton of mice, pack rats, and Black Widows that like to find their way in. We have a floor and sod flaps on our Tentipi and they still get in through the tiniest of slits...last year we tried no floor and after 24 hours of rain we had two or three dozen spiders in the tipi.

A wall tent sounds right up your alley, and I am the Sales Manager at Davis Tent. Feel free to give us a call 877-Elk-Camp (355-2267) and we can tell you about the advantages of buying from the manufacturer, and a USA made product, rather than an overseas made product sold by someone with a warehouse and a website.

Thanks for the input, USA made is definitely a plus!

I will suggest the old-farts give you a call and discuss options. They're the financial and decision making arms, I just do the research, labor, and hunting!

:rolleyes:

JigStick

WKR
I have a very lightly used Cabelas Bighorn 2 outfitters tent with the corresponding vestibule and spark protector. We used it for a similar setup here in western PA. Handled weather like you wouldn't believe. And our FourDog stove heated it easily. Standing room. Room for gear. If interested let me know. We now pack back in and no longer use it.

blackdawg

WKR
I agree with Troutbum. Buy the removable floor liner, shake it out when hunt is over. Hard to beat the Arctic Ovens if Serious moisture, bugs or wind can be expected.

"...........We have incredibly sandy/ashy dirt where we deer hunt........"

I made some serious stakes by taking some 6-foot steel T-posts and cutting them into 2-foot lengths, then putting a point on one end. They hold pretty good in the wind. In real sandy soil maybe just use the end with the spade on it.

This is with our Davis 12x14 tent.

r1iDdDL.jpg

$ is a non-issue, those tents look pretty awesome. If you have experience with them, are the floors removable at all?

Great suggestion, thanks!

I do have a fair amount of experience with them although, I don’t own one myself. A couple good friends of mine own them and I’ve probably spent about five or six weeks worth of nights in them on several hunts. There is not a wall tent made that will even come close to weathering a storm like an AO. 100% hand made in Alaska and a 70 mph blow feels like a nice breeze when you’re inside of one. The floors are not removable. This one has the removable vestibule, and although it’s nice and big, it’s not as nice as the integrated vestibule’s that the new models have.
596433ae98b77bb7af0c28c5660abb6a.jpg

6daee2cb2c3811512bd130e348ce129b.jpg

82cdf5d0e7c3a6c34ec1be5b64e920a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

We have a 4 man that has seen better days, the older crowd doesn't like having to hunch down to get in them. Also don't think you can put a stove in them?
I put a stove Jack in the vestabule

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 14' x 16' Davis tent that I'm very happy with. 6 would be tight in that size but 4 is great with room left over to cook and hang out. Last year my hunting partner and spent a week in it at 7,200 feet in complete comfort. Temps ranged from high 70's to 20 degrees. Not sure of the wind speed, but moderate winds less than 30 for most of the week. Cots seem to work out better as there is an area underneath for storage. The best thing is being able to eat a hot dinner each night in your shorts while it's snowing outside.

a95e380f070c5c14a00ba30ded98719b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk